Biden says he plans to run for re-election in 2024

webfact

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's quite a rebuttal. The tax doesn't affect you and you make a prediction based on what exactly? The fact is that the Republicans are the ones who repeatedly slashed taxes on the wealthy that resulted in a huge transfer of wealth and power from the the working and middle classes. And the Democrats repeatedly opposed them. In their latest tax bill, the Republicans actually changed the way inflation was adjusted for Social Security in order to lessen future benefits even though inflation hits seniors far more than it does other Americans..

I think the tax system is flawed, everyone should pay a flat tax of maybe 15%, no loopholes for big business. That would be the fair way, everyone pays the same rate.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I think the tax system is flawed, everyone should pay a flat tax of maybe 15%, no loopholes for big business. That would be the fair way, everyone pays the same rate.

That is a popular position among the extreme right. zNothing more appealing to them than raising taxes on the poor and working classes.  And for you the good news is in a way that's beginning to happen. It turns out that if all taxes, federal, state, and local are totted up, the super wealthy are taxed at about the same rate as blue collar workers. Hooray!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That is a popular position among the extreme right. zNothing more appealing to them than raising taxes on the poor and working classes.  And for you the good news is in a way that's beginning to happen. It turns out that if all taxes, federal, state, and local are totted up, the super wealthy are taxed at about the same rate as blue collar workers. Hooray!

What's wrong with everyone paying the same tax. Seems fair to me. If you make $1000./yr you pay your 15% you make 10 billion you pay 15%.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

What's wrong with everyone paying the same tax. Seems fair to me. If you make $1000./yr you pay your 15% you make 10 billion you pay 15%.

I have always liked the flat tax idea but it has its faults. It gives advantage to single workers and takes no account of the mouths that a married working person has to feed and cloth.

Income tax codes should be PROGRESSIVE. 

No tax for low income, low tax for moderate income, progressive to high tax for high income.

Things like sales taxes can't usually be engineered that way so are flat taxes, so those are very unprogressive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

And now President Joe’s off to Camp David for the weekend.  Not much on the agenda.  Not exactly a robust 78-year old.

At least he is not off to Scotland to play golf on one of "his own" golf courses.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What a married man's responsibilities are shouldn't be shouldered by the single guy. Me the single guy shouldn't pay more than the guy with kids. Having kids was a choice.

That was also a choice that your parents made.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, placeholder said:

In Georgia it's now a crime to offer food and drink to people waiting on lines to vote. And where are the longest lines to be found with waits that can last hours? Oddly enough, in majority black locales. Hmmm....

I have only been there once, briefly, but have rather assumed that Georgia, like a number of states in that part of the USA, are not particularly keen on their coloured population actually voting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have only been there once, briefly, but have rather assumed that Georgia, like a number of states in that part of the USA, are not particularly keen on their coloured population actually voting.

That's a very "quaint" way of putting it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Chiphigh said:

Zero factual reality in this statement. 

Just a major coincidence that the longest lines for voting tend to be in areas where black voters live and the georgia has now outlawed giving food or drink to people waiting on those lines. It's actually now a crime to do so. Not even Lindsey Graham could justify that.

Chris Wallace Grills Graham on Georgia Voting Law: ‘Why on Earth’ Is It Illegal to Give Voters Water?

“Senator, why on earth, if Americans are willing to wait hours to vote, would you make it a crime for people to come and give them a bottle of water?” Wallace added.

“Well, all I can say is that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, I agree with you there,” Graham conceded, before pivoting back to complaining about HR 1 and expanded mail-in voting.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-wallace-grills-lindsey-graham-on-georgia-voting-law-banning-giving-voters-water