The week that was in Thailand news: Making the best of a bad job defines who we are

rooster59

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Kensawadee” took one poster to task in a nice post though to be fair to “Colinneil” - a severely disabled Englishman and former Thaivisa  poster of the year -

By the way, whatever happened to POTY? I thought Jinn won after Colin, but there hasn't been a POTY for what seems a few years? I think the TV staff don't want to mention it in the hopes the big boss forgets all about it? I can't imagine it's much fun (as a staffer) having to run the damn competition.

Edited by Stevemercer

Shocking but not surprising that on the day 100 are shot dead by Toos pals, his government attends a party given by them to celebrate Forces day, showing further contempt for democracy and what they really think is important.

Disgraceful.

Thailand plummets further into the moral and ethical abyss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is a sad thing to hear you say, but I think that you are too close to the issue; Bangkok has been in decline for 6-7 years (Hmm... what occurred 6-7 years ago?).

I started visiting the city at the onset of the nineties and it was a blast; the place never slept, the only thing limiting what you could find was your imagination, the people had a forward-looking, creative bent that expressed itself in ways that I had never seen, there was a vibrancy to every street, soi, enclave and alley, there was a sense everywhere of unlimited possibilities, and there was a sense that the locals both could and would achieve great and wonderful things.

I have made short visits to Bangkok about once a year for the last five years and I have to say that each was worse than the last. I could list all the changes that, in my view, diminished the place, but rather for me it has been simply the 'vibe' on the street; where once anything, literally anything, was possible now seems wooden, slow and deflated. Yes, perhaps the sidewalks are cleaner, the public transportation better, the garbage a wee bit less, but the cost of that has been horrible.

It is an incredible thing to say about what once was one of the most vibrant places I ever visited, but Bangkok has become a great deal like an army base, but without the ambiance and zest. 

My visits will be fewer and fewer, sadly.

I first visited Bangkok in 1978 and have been back regularly ever since, the last 10 years as a snowbird Dec. Jan. Feb. I would agree with most of your comments but I do wish I was there right now. 

• Like 1

Rooster has the most hilarious, honest, engaging,  and almost profound writing of any

news writer in the Big Time even.   A vulnerablitiy and endearing self deprecation,  so is not

in the service of kkkleptocracy and kkkrapitalism, when unchained after the social and democratic movements prevail, better to come you can imagine

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

By the way, whatever happened to POTY? I thought Jinn won after Colin, but there hasn't been a POTY for what seems a few years? I think the TV staff don't want to mention it in the hopes the big boss forgets all about it? I can't imagine it's much fun (as a staffer) having to run the damn competition.

No Colin won after Jinn, but whatever.

To me, the fun went out of POTY after an "upgrade" to TV meant that it was impossible to change one's vote.  It was much more fun back in the days votes changed daily, or more often, and (I suspect) that some had multiple TV accounts.  Now all that is policed much better.  

The several contests where I "stood" (to use an English word that I don't quite understand as an American), I was very much propped up by Mr. Bitey and much was written about him on TV during the contests. 

Sadly, he passed away last year.  He had cancer and he and I were resident at a pet-friendly hostel near Kasetsart University where he was undergoing cancer treatments on an out-patient basis.  He was doing pretty good and we'd settled into a routine, but then Covid hit, restaurants closed, I was eating out of the 7-11, all the guests left the hotel and the university said that Mr. Bitey could be admitted as an in-patient so I could return to Chiang Mai since it wasn't safe for me, as an "elderly" person to remain in Bangkok.

Mr. Bitey passed away three weeks after I returned to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One thing I really enjoyed this week was the comment about 25 yrs old..,  We were poor as church mice, in NW Pa, and heard a song "Take this job and shove it" on the way to work... I snapped, quit a $hitty job that instant, left my Thai bride at home and drove to Texas Feb, 1978... I was 25, applied for 7 jobs in 3 days and upon return to Pa, was accepted for all 7 positions. In western Pa at the time you couldn't buy a job...We loaded our non air-conditioned car with all our hand me down worldly goods in a 4 by 8 home made trailer and our dog and relocated to Houston Tx.  That lasted till 2019, sold everything and now in Sattahip... Yea Rooster 25 can be a defining year.... or was for me. Wouldn't have had it any other way... I look forward to your posts on Sundays..and usually be picking up what you putting down... 

10 hours ago, Todd Saed said:

Rooster has the most hilarious, honest, engaging,  and almost profound writing of any

news writer in the Big Time even.   A vulnerablitiy and endearing self deprecation,  so is not

in the service of kkkleptocracy and kkkrapitalism, when unchained after the social and democratic movements prevail, better to come you can imagine

Yes Goooo Rooster !!! I remember what is was Like !!! ... Like when that "Lan see Far" was it (Color Blue restaurant ?) the Great seafood restaurant on Sukhmvit and Soi 25 was it ? Where they used to open the soda water bottles out in the beer garden out the back, by pointing then in the right direction, safety wise, .... and then Whack the bottoms of them with their palms, ! And the tops, would Pop off loudly !!!  ... And then fly right over the wall, and out in to the Side street !!! ... And I always used to wonder who picked them up in the mornings !!! ??? .... Definitely the Good Old Days.  ... (And the Half Mekong and Soda days also !!!) ... ... And something that I STILL have not seen done so well and so often, in any other city in the world !!! ....

...  So, Yes Power Up Rooster !!! And be BIG !!! ... Write BIG ... You are GOOD !!! .... and it is well WELL worth it.

"but it would have sounded better if Prayuth had mentioned the seven year old child shot dead by his KKK (Khaki Klad Klan) pals in Myanmar. 

The lack of condemnation coming from the Thai government is deafening and utterly embarrassing."

Yes Right on R !!!

- Like what a REALY Great, …  GREAT Tragedy of our time !!! 

... But Well, I just watched the ABC Australia 4 Corners 1 Hour report on Anng Su Kye in Myanmar, … and well, 4 Corners is almost always GOOD !!! … Whether you like Auzie Auzie Auzie or not ! ... but after a great start, on her tenacity, honesty and Strength !!! … And then success in getting in and then getting control of Parliament, to an extent more then the Military would have liked her to I think ? ...

... They were really only realy left able to comment, … "Well she (Amazingly !) was able to make a Deal with the Devil” !!! ... “But at What cost" … - Re her fairly obvious ? total abandoning of Human rights for the Rohingans.

… So well I think that I might just keep out of this one.  … - And I can understand why Thailand is also, especially coming from Ayuttahya. ? …

...  Despite the just HUGE tragedy of the loss of Democracy and now the fast increasing murders, …  By an out dated and seemingly pretty much totally deluded Military,  (Like don’t they know that they only can lose doing it, by doing it this way these days ??? … (Well let’s Hope so any way Aye !!!) ..... And just be remembered for silly Mindless, murderers for ever !!!  .... Like I wonder what their children will do ? …

… And then there is the Mainland Chinese's involvement, and business interests also ! ???. .. .... And Russia now also I believe ... God bless their Pure White Soules !!!

….  And the good news !!! I got my First AstraZeneca Jab today ! .. So well the End ! Is ! IN ! Sight !!! …

.... And thank God for that !!! ... 

Mark mark

i must say,  the old rooster is certainly developing a hard core group of.......  groupies.

keep crowing ............ but don't give up your day job.    oops,  this IS your day job.

• Thanks 1

"In international news the devastating floods in Australia continued." ...

Yes, and Last Year it was just Massive Fires, like the biggest Ever Really taking in their just HUGE geographic range ! Like all down the East Coast from Queensland to Victoria !!! 

... But here, now the Really big Australian news is the Alleglid Rape of Brittney Higgins on the ... Now Ex-Defense ministers Couch in Parliament House ... followed by Revelations that other allegations of a Historic rape had been made against the now Ex-Attorney General, for something that may have occurred (And Possibly did, as he was a well-known “Bit of a Lad” Private school boy) over 30 years ago, ...  and the Poor woman has now committed Suicide !!! ... Making it Just about impossible to sort out.

… So now the great rush towards large enquiries about the questionably Male Culture and cover-ups re it, in Australia’s Parliament House in Canberra, is the Real News. ...

... Which the Government (Mostly Men) want to sweep under the carpet ... but well the Woman of Australia seem determined NOT to let it just go away this time !!! …  And well if you ask me !!! "About time Also" .. Like These bastards would <Deleted> me ! Also !!! … …  Like the Floods will just go away !!! ... Until the next time !!! …. And then it might be a fire, . ? … But I do not think that this really quite serious move on Culture of Sexual discriminations, Misconduct, the silencing of ANY complaints, .... and cover ups all will just go away, this time.

Re the CEO, Certificate of Entry for entering Thailand, on a NON - Long Stay Visa

I just this morning heard that they are now not allowed to approve the COE for those who want to travel to Thailand after 31st May.  “Because the restriction may change.”

I guess that I should open this question as a new topic, ? and I will. … but do any of you know anything about this ?

Like what are the changed Likely to be ??? Does anyone know ? … and just a Guess would do for now I guess.  ? …. Like will you still be able to get back in to Thailand on a NON –OA visa after 31st May ? Do you think. ? .. I have written back and asked this but well they might not know any way or not be able to tell me.

Like you would think that things SHOULD get Easier !!! ??? ... But well for Tourists Yes ?  .... But what about NON - OA Long Stayers ?

Thanks … Very very Very VERY ! Frustrated Mark mark !!!

Edited by Mark mark
Added Last Line

“In international news the devastating floods in Australia continued”

Well possibly getting bit far off track here, but also in comment to Good Brother Roosters, News Comment on the Australian floods … … Another Political fact that came out this last week or so was that ? An, alleged Number of our Federal Politicians, were actually having, most probably,  extra marital sex, in the Prayer room at Parliament House !!! …  A Bit like the Mongolians do it I guess, by putting up their flag on the top of a hill, to warn off any other accidental interlopers !!!

Like I am not sure what the Grand Mufftie of Sydney might have thought of this,? but it’s practicality of an innovative use of an extremely underutilized piece of politically correct Real-estate … Our Parliament having very few Muslims if any way all … And it would be unlikely our Christians or any of our other religions would have used it ! ? …   So this must be considered very Innovative ! ? Right ? …

… Like maybe it will increase our chances of taking the Chair at the UN practicality commission in it's next sitting !!! ??? ... The Practical Australians ! ? … Azie Auzie Auzie !!! Right !!!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, rumak said:

i must say,  the old rooster is certainly developing a hard core group of.......  groupies.

keep crowing ............ but don't give up your day job.    oops,  this IS your day job.

It is very quiet on the forum nowadays-has everyone switched to the Facebook side of things?-so it's good to see Rooster's column still up and running..

This week's was pretty good.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1