Huge jump in electricity bills!

greenmonkey

5 minutes ago,  darrenr said: 

water they charge 50 baht  per unit ( assume that 1 unit =1 Kl or 1000 litres ?

Did you add an extra zero? Our water is 4 Baht and the unit is a cubic metre. 

no staying at Maxx Central (condotel) in Pattaya that is what their website states

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No you can’t you can see a reduction in consumption,  we have a similar drop in usage. There may have been a subsidy as well. 

My bad. Actually you have had a 200 Baht discount in February and March (I was out yesterday so couldn’t check properly)

Edited by sometimewoodworker

20 minutes ago, darrenr said:

no staying at Maxx Central (condotel) in Pattaya that is what their website states

Then you are being overcharged for electric (it’s illegal) and water.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:49 PM, Airalee said:

From my understanding, people have been getting discounts on their electric bill for a number of months now.  I know I have.  Perhaps those discounts have ended?  I guess I will find out when the next bill comes.

Yes.  My bill this month had no discount on it like the previous few months.  The discount showed as a reduction in the number of units you were charged for, around a 10% reduction in units.  Last month I used 1276 units but was only charged for 1155 units.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

Comparing the first four months average of last year to the first four months average this year.

UNITS                   COST

2020        942.50                  3922.05

2021         712.00                    3051.04

Very hot this year but units and cost much lower than last.  Seems I used much more last year

but have no idea why.  A/C in the afternoons and 1 bedroom all night. 

Where's the problem?

On 4/24/2021 at 11:57 PM, Scouse123 said:

I complained about the same. Mine jumped to 2500 baht from 1400 baht .

we do not use aircon!

I had the a few months back, we went to the pea office to pay the bill and told them no Aircon so how can the bill jump up by a 1000 baht, they sent someone to check, it was faulty outside wiring , changed the wiring bill was back to normal following month, they come out and check everysocket and meter box for free

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Comparing the first four months average of last year to the first four months average this year.

UNITS                   COST

2020        942.50                  3922.05

2021         712.00                    3051.04

Very hot this year but units and cost much lower than last.  Seems I used much more last year

but have no idea why.  A/C in the afternoons and 1 bedroom all night. 

Where's the problem?

look for a line on your bill like this where they discounted units off of your bill.

a bill.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:48 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Usually my bill is 700-900 baht per month. This month it was 2300, admittedly we have been using the a/c a bit more because it's the hot season, but even so I was shocked. Now it's more expensive that my electric bill in the UK, which was around £40 a month. 

Last time in Holland I paid for electricity and gas €350 per month, and that was 15 years ago.

This month the electric bill was 6100 baht, around 165 euro.

A lot, you say, but running airco is not cheap.

The rest of the year the bills are in the 3000 baht range.

I refuse to melt away slowly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Yea...every year at this time when the weather gets hotter and more humid which in turns causes air cons and refrigerators to work harder (i.e., use significantly more power, run longer, run more frequent, etc), people using more fans, etc. the increased electric bill is a shock to some.      Normally it's the folks using air cons that gets the biggest surprise....and those using dirty air cons gets surprised even more. 

And those folks paying price-gouging landlord electric rates like around 9 baht/KWH versus the actual charge of a little over 4 baht/KWH are more than surprised---they are shocked!!!!

Great insight, that. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The previous reading was 60,010 the current reading is 84,477 giving a consumption of 24,467

so the bill would be ฿111,547.11 if it were not an average estimate.  That is rather unlikely not to say impossible  

I say i say that's a bit High ,But than it could be right if you got a small foundry furnace going. ????

4 hours ago, darrenr said:

Wow....that some expensive water....definitely landlord rates for water....got a HUGE profit cranked in.  You are paying almost 5 times more per unit than a home owner which has their water account directly with the water company.

I live in Bangkok....the Thai wife and I own a two story house...water acct in wife's name.   Typically we use around 23 units of water per month (one unit equals 1,000 liters).   We typically use around 20 to 23 units per month.   This month's water bill for 23 units totalled a few stang short of Bt266 which includes 7% VAT, meter fee, etc.    266 divided by 23 units equals Bt 11.56 per unit of water.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:57 AM, Susco said:

Maybe they are adding those discounts to other people bills.

It has to come from somewhere , nothing is for free . They have helped people by lowering their bills and now they are taking it back . Deu to hot weather 5555555555555 . The whole month of december was quit cold , didn't see a drop of 1100baht in my bill that month and them saying deu to cold weather your bill was lower . 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:56 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm our meter jumped so much (20,000 units ) that we have been getting a bill that is an average reading assessment for the last 2 bills 

D56CEAAC-46FE-448E-886A-A85D9898B444.jpeg.4a2f0cdd7af560282c5db74fb713c125.jpegED742991-D999-450C-9877-56E744F38B69.jpeg.c6a65d8d09ea8f00150a74aefeccd41f.jpeg

going by the actual numbers our bill should be ฿109,000 higher than it actually is ????

That's strange the defective meter appears to have greatly increased because typically a defective electric meter will decease because the mechanical gears portion fails to rotate properly...kinda gets bogged down.....rotates much slower or simply stops rotating.   

Last year our home's meter failed after approx a dozen years....the meter reading for the month was way low.....the electric company meter reader noticed it and told us the indictor dials were no longer registering usage properly and appeared to be "slipping" although the big horizontal wheel appeared to be rotating normally.   He said they would be replacing the meter. 

But he did go by the reading for that's month's bill which wasn't big time lower than previous months but still significantly lower.   Anyway, the meter reader was able to spot something was not right with the meter.

And sure enough when I looked at the meter after the meter reader told us that you could see the right-most dial appeared to be slipping/dragging.  You watch it long enough to where it should make one full rotation when it got to the point where it should make the number to the left of it increase by one unit the right most number appeared to slip backwards somewhat resulting in a low reading.  There was simply a mechanical problem.

It took the electric company almost a month to replace the meter (no charge) and the following month's bill was based on our past average bill and not actual meter reading.   I definitely did not get screwed on the electric bill....in fact, I estimate I probably saved a few thousand baht on one month's bill. 

I was questioning the wife about this as usually her mothers bill is around 7-900bht per month . Last one was 860 bht or so and 330 units used , this month 570 and bill was 2450 bht .

Yet there is only one air con in the house and it has been on practically the same amount of time as last month , so there is no way twice the electric units have been used as they have no pool , washing machine etc .

Wife thinks the previous months were discounted because of COVID but it now seems they whacked them up and added what should have been charged for previous. My uk credit card done similar by not charging me interest for three months which I thought was good . Then end of the payment break they whacked it all onto the newest bill so they got everything from me they would have got if charged me as normal.

15 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

I was questioning the wife about this as usually her mothers bill is around 7-900bht per month . Last one was 860 bht or so and 330 units used , this month 570 and bill was 2450 bht .

Yet there is only one air con in the house and it has been on practically the same amount of time as last month , so there is no way twice the electric units have been used as they have no pool , washing machine etc .

Wife thinks the previous months were discounted because of COVID but it now seems they whacked them up and added what should have been charged for previous. My uk credit card done similar by not charging me interest for three months which I thought was good . Then end of the payment break they whacked it all onto the newest bill so they got everything from me they would have got if charged me as normal.

I expect it's purely due to your air con needing to work harder in the hotter and more humid weather....and possibly the govt subsidy being reduced/expired like you talked.  An air con needing to work significantly harder (and refrigerator(s) also) could easily explain a 240 units increase.  Air cons consume a lot of power in comparison to other household items like fans, lights, etc.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Our bill this month was just over six hundred baht, wife got an ear bashing for wasting electric.????????

First time our bill has been over six hundred for almost a year.

To possibly reduce costs you could revert back to using candles vs 25W light bulbs, but then again the cost of candles has went up.  ????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, rwill said:

look for a line on your bill like this where they discounted units off of your bill.

a bill.jpg

Your bill also shows a discount off the unit price of -0.1532 baht.  I have that discount but not the one you've highlighted.  Maybe that's down to your much higher usage compared to mine?

7 hours ago, darrenr said:

Off topic (but hopefully helpful).  I watched a video on youtube yesterday reviewing Maxx City who give the same figures on their site.  They are currently offering all inclusive prices so you might be able to do a deal to avoid this overcharging.  Sorry, I've deleted the link I was sent to the video but hopefully you can find it if it's of interest.