Significant progress reported in AstraZeneca vaccine production in Thailand

snoop1130

9 hours ago, n8sail said:

The most preposterous part about Siam Biosciences, 100% wholly owned by CPB Equity Co. (look that up)  is that it literally had NOTHING to do with vaccines when it was built.  It made 2 drugs only, Erythropoietin which treats anemia, and Filgrastim which treats conditions where white blood cell counts are reduced (like HIV, chemotherapy patients, etc.)

As I understand it, the entire plant had to be completely re-worked as these two drugs have nothing to do with manufacturing of replication-deficient simian adenovirus vector vaccines such as the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

This is my speculation, but I suspect this June delivery date is a bit optimistic.  I worked as a contractor at Pfizer in Groton, CT many years ago.  The processing machinery is massively complicated even for simple drugs, and everything was always behind schedule.  In America.   TIT!

https://www.siambioscience.com/?lang=en

I'm not sure we can link Bangkok Post articles, I would delete it if I were you

5 minutes ago, DLock said:

Most of these vaccines are for export.

Whilst these are manufactured in Thailand, they do not belong to Thailand - the belong to AZ, who has orders from around the world.

Thailand will order and be in the queue just like anyone else...

Maybe I am being naïve, but I understood that all these Vaccine Manufacturers were making their vaccines on a " Zero profit " basis because of the huge Humanitarian need.

The Vaccines were to be made with just enough money made to cover costs.

I think there was some kind of International agreement over this, to prevent Hoarding, and price gouging.

The same agreement ( I think ) also birthed the Covax Program

I may be totally wrong, or dreaming, so if I am please put me straight.

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

6 months behind the curve with the country now covid ravaged if only there was a czar to speed things up ????

WHY is it taling so long for vaccines when other countries been doing it for at least 4 months.never had a decent answer to question 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

We're talking about a potential difference of a few thousand baht.  Maybe 5.  Insignificant in the over all scheme of things.  Especially when it comes to your health.

Ok for you to say from your personal financial viewpoint, others  may well choose the cheapest  option.

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

You are not being naive at all. I don't think there has been transparency about what really constitutes "zero profit".

I'm certainly not saying this is the case, but "zero profit" means that you cover all your expenses and sell it at what it "cost" you to make, meaning, you determine your costs. 

And does SB sell at "zero profit" or does AZ sell at "zero profit" after they have both fully expenses the Balance Sheet? And who is auditing that Balance Sheet?

You see where I'm going? 

I see exactly where you are going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I also understood the SB facility in Thailand , had never actually made any Vaccines before, and this is a whole new thing for them.

I guess they will soon get the hang of it.

I doubt Astra-Zeneca will be "hand's off" on this.

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Ok for you to say from your personal financial viewpoint, others  may well choose the cheapest  option.

Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.  Now's not the time to be cheap. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DLock said:

Whilst these are manufactured in Thailand, they do not belong to Thailand - the belong to AZ, who has orders from around the world.

Can you share the source of this detail?

I do not believe I have ever seen this before, other than vague references by various Thai "authorities".

Do you know when Thailand will be able to keep/buy locally produced AZ vaccines? In what quantities?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, n8sail said:

The most preposterous part about Siam Biosciences, 100% wholly owned by CPB Equity Co. (look that up)  is that it literally had NOTHING to do with vaccines when it was built.  It made 2 drugs only, Erythropoietin which treats anemia, and Filgrastim which treats conditions where white blood cell counts are reduced (like HIV, chemotherapy patients, etc.)

As I understand it, the entire plant had to be completely re-worked as these two drugs have nothing to do with manufacturing of replication-deficient simian adenovirus vector vaccines such as the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

This is my speculation, but I suspect this June delivery date is a bit optimistic.  I worked as a contractor at Pfizer in Groton, CT many years ago.  The processing machinery is massively complicated even for simple drugs, and everything was always behind schedule.  In America.   TIT!

https://www.siambioscience.com/?lang=en

LOL.  I use to go to that plant a lot.  I was a supplier of software.  Lovely area.  Great company.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, DLock said:

That is scary....do we know if Anutin has remembered to order any....and if so how many?

• Haha 1

Whilst any good news is welcome especially now we the Covid Czar in charge which fills me with no confidence and from listening to local thais they are completely in panic mode despite the calming words from HQ

Significant to me, would be its in hospital awaiting to be injected into me

9 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Yes another good choice. I hear Pfizer also is coming out with a pill after your two jabs for many virial  VAINANTS. A  PILL SOUNDS NICE!

It's still in research, and thus, a long way off.

7 minutes ago, DLock said:

It's been well documented that AZ chose SB as its local manufacturing partner - just type "Siam Bioscience Astra Zenica" into Google and there are many articles that document that - I cannot link them here.

In terms of what will be allocated locally, I recall the initial order was 26million doses, but it gets confusing when the Government talks about AZ orders, whether they mean locally, or from elsewhere...and I am sure they have upped that order.

Here is one article I can post that summarizes the deal https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401773

Here is another that states of the 200million SB say they will produce per year, 176million will be exported and 26million (I know the numbers don't add up) bound for Thailand https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30401777

So SB may not be the Great White Knight everyone is pinning their hopes on...

According to Reuters, Thailand made an initial order of 26 million, and ordered another 35 million in January.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN29A0VF