Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some people find it fun blood sport in harassing and insulting expats seeking vaccines.

I am not harassing anyone, lighten up. I am an expat seeking a quick vaccine. 

I have booked for the Moderna in October through https://www.thg.co.th/en but want one earlier. 

I'm also thinking of going on holiday to the US, where I can get one free. 

Edited by Neeranam

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Took the words out my mouth. Some here have a ridiculous feeling of entitlement. 

Quoting a post from 2.5 months ago with nothing of value or substance to add?  Talk about ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the topic. 

We now have two totally different opinions on how to fill in the two name fields on the Phyathai 2.google form. 

One side says we should put our first and last names in the first field and our middle (if we have one) and last names in the second field. 

Another says only the first name should be in the first field and then the middle  (if we have one) and last name in the second field.

Which is correct?

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Back to the topic. 

We now have two totally different opinions on how to fill in the two name fields on the Phyathai 2.google form. 

One side says we should put our first and last names in the first field and our middle (if we have one) and last names in the second field. 

Another says only the first name should be in the first field and then the middle  (if we have one) and last name in the second field.

Which is correct?

Could you post the link and I could check the Thai version?

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The best thing to do here is omit the middle name or put it/them after the first name. I have 2 middle names and in other forms this is the better way. 

You didn’t really answer the question.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Could you post the link and I could check the Thai version?

There is no Thai version.

It's a Google form in English. 

It was recently pasted here.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I just posted the form.

Would you put your first name only in the first field or of not what?

Yes, there seems to be something lost in translation here. 

Middle names are often not required, especially if you have 2 long ones like me, or some Thai/Latin Americans I know. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I just posted the form.

Would you put your first name only in the first field or of not what?

I put my first name only in the first field and then the middle name & surname in the second one. That's different from what @WaveHunter did, but both forms were accepted so it doesn't seem to matter which way you do it. Of course, one or both forms may end up being rejected, hopefully we'll know more tomorrow if/when we get an SMS message .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, there seems to be something lost in translation here. 

Middle names are often not required, especially if you have 2 long ones like me, or some Thai/Latin Americans I know. 

But you still didn't answer the question. How would you fill it out? First name only in the first field or not?

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I put my first name only in the first field and then the middle name & surname in the second one. That's different from what @WaveHunter did, but both forms were accepted so it doesn't seem to matter which way you do it. Of course, one or both forms may end up being rejected, hopefully we'll know more tomorrow if/when we get an SMS message .

Yes like I said two schools here.

I'm not sure having the form accepted guarantees there won't be a problem at registration or the name they give you for vaccination proof.

There is local hospital that I used to go to which I registered at using my passport. 

I was constantly referred to as Mr. My middle name.

That has happened to me other places too.

I can now understand the rationale behind both schools but I have no idea what they are looking for as correct.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes like I said two schools here.

I'm not sure having the form accepted guarantees there won't be a problem at registration or the name they give you for vaccination proof.

I highly doubt this will be an issue if you just put your first name only(first box) and family name in the second. I would omit my middle names, but if required, I'd put them wherever there was space. I really don't think it matters if they are in the first or second boxes. 

When doing these speed things, I find it wise to open 3 different browsers before the designated time and when the time comes, press submit on all of them. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is local hospital that I used to go to which I registered at using my passport. 

I was constantly referred to as Mr. My middle name.

That has happened to me other places too.

I can now understand the rationale behind both schools but I have no idea what they are looking for as correct.

At hospitals I am always called as Mr. First name + first middle name, which shows they don't know the difference and it doesn't matter. 

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I highly doubt this will be an issue if you just put your first name only(first box) and family name in the second. I would omit my middle names, but if required, I'd put them wherever there was space. I really don't think it matters if they are in the first or second boxes. 

When doing these speed things, I find it wise to open 3 different browsers before the designated time and when the time comes, press submit on all of them. 

If you had a first, middle, and last name and they were all included on your passport as your name (probably most common for westerners here) would you put your first name only in the first field or if not what would you put in the first field? What they want in the second field is at least clear, they don't want the first name in the second field. 

Also they are explicitly asking for middle name in the second field so if it's on your passport it would be surely be wrong to not include it in the second field. 

This really is what this issue is about. Matching your passport and also of course how that filters through the Thai perception of name structure! 

To add I have read this is sometimes a very serious problem for expats in Latin America particularly with women and how they use their maiden names. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That sounds like it may be wrong to me.

I'm curious what other people are doing with that.

Perhaps when they say name it's the Thai custom of saying Mr. Dave when  Dave is the first name.

But I really don't know. I think its a very confusing design showing the didn't bother to get feedback from  a westerner.

Breaking this down the first field just says name.

If that was the only name field we would just put our full name, first, middle, last.

But the next field says SURNAME!

That implies that they don’t want the last name in the first field.

Surname is the same thing as last name!

It also says include middle and last name there.

The way you did it why would they want your last name TWICE?!?

I have no idea why they did it this way, except for the fact that it is the Thai way to try and confuse westerners as much as possible...LOL!  Or maybe they intentionally did it just to knock a few of us off the list becuase we provided what they intended to be "first name"

Seriously though, I think they intended the first name field to actually be "First Name".  Nonetheless, when somebody asks me my "name", my usual response would be to say my first and last name (without the middle name).  So, that was my reasoning.

Just now, WaveHunter said:

I have no idea why they did it this way, except for the fact that it is the Thai way to try and confuse westerners as much as possible...LOL!  Or maybe they intentionally did it just to knock a few of us off the list becuase we provided what they intended to be "first name"

Seriously though, I think they intended the first name field to actually be "First Name".  Nonetheless, when somebody asks me my "name", my usual response would be to say my first and last name (without the middle name).  So, that was my reasoning.

I'm assuming that whoever designed that confusion had something in mind as to correct way to fill in those fields. I think we have defined the two logical but different interpretations. But still no clue which is correct. 

That said I am curious how most people are filling it out.

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you had a first, middle, and last name and they were all included on your passport as your name (probably most common for westerners here) would you put your first name only in the first field or if not what would you put in the first field? What they want in the second field is at least clear, they don't want the first name in the second field. 

Also they are explicitly asking for middle name in the second field so if it's on your passport it would be surely be wrong to not include it in the second field. 

This really is what this issue is about. Matching your passport and also of course how that filters through the Thai perception of name structure! 

To add I have read this is sometimes a very serious problem for expats in Latin America particularly with women and how they use their maiden names. 

I was told by Latin Americans that The given name and surname are number 1 and 3 in their written name. I think their mother's maiden name is the last one. My daughter's friend gets a lot of teasing as they must put the full name embroidered on their shirt. 

Recently, I got a Thai passport and what a palaver trying to explain what all the different names were. On the actual passport, the name is written exactly like my UK one, surname on top. 

In the hospital, it is not official, so again, I wouldn't worry about getting it wrong. This weird format is because this is a special form especially for foreigners; Thai don't have middle names usually. Actually, I had a problem giving my children middle names, apart from the one born at Bamrungrad. 

I see that the second box asks for the middle names. I would write your middle name(s) before your surname, but it's not important. When you go there, you will have your passport with you. Was the form not accepted in another way? 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was told by Latin Americans that The given name and surname are number 1 and 3 in their written name. I think their mother's maiden name is the last one. My daughter's friend gets a lot of teasing as they must put the full name embroidered on their shirt. 

Recently, I got a Thai passport and what a palaver trying to explain what all the different names were. On the actual passport, the name is written exactly like my UK one, surname on top. 

In the hospital, it is not official, so again, I wouldn't worry about getting it wrong. This weird format is because this is a special form especially for foreigners; Thai don't have middle names usually. Actually, I had a problem giving my children middle names, apart from the one born at Bamrungrad. 

I see that the second box asks for the middle names. I would write your middle name(s) before your surname, but it's not important. When you go there, you will have your passport with you. Was the form not accepted in another way? 

You still didn't answer the question about what you would put in the first field.

Quite remarkable really 

2 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

First box : First name  (given name)

Second box : Last name  (family name)

If you have a middle name - Put it in front of your Last name

That should also match what you have in your passport ....

This is just a simple form that does not do any fancy cross checking against data beses etc ... The key thing is to show your passport .. so make sure it matches what is written in your passport

That was my interpretation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Foreigners from Pattaya getting AZ at Bang Su

If they're over-75, then that's not surprising or news, the walk-in facility has been quite well-advertised. If they're under-75 then it would be. Do you know the ages of the people concerned?

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There are  currently reports of Foreigners from Pattaya getting AZ at Bang Su and Pyithai hospital RIGHT NOW and for the last week. Just turn up with passport..Any confirmation of this?

Yes. Over 75 though.

It's true.

Now they have registration for age 60 to 74 via mobile phone registration. 

But Thai id numbers only for that!

• Sad 1