What to do in thunderstorms - PEA issues guidelines

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the Provincial Electricity Authority had warned the public about thunderstorms and what to do and not to do.

Their advice according to an infographic was:

Avoid mobile phone usage

Don't shelter under trees

Take all plugs out of sockets

Find a safe place like in a car with all the windows and doors closed

If in a big building for safety don't stand near windows, doors or walls. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-01

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I have over the years had a big screen and other items blown up throw lightning strikes here. Unplugging is a good idea for most things. Not sure but just replaced not even a year old refrigerator with a blown motor after a lighting storm a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I'd avoid golf.

spacer.png

Especially holding the pin. I would thing we are safe in Bangkok. Stick to the streets and you'll never be above 2 metres.

• Haha 1

Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB) is a protective device which breaks the circuit when small stray voltage is detected on the metal enclosure of electrical equipment to provide protection from electric shock.

During lightning, voltage can appear on metal enclosures because of the development of charge due to lightning leading to tripping of ELCB. Get an ELCB

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have over the years had a big screen and other items blown up throw lightning strikes here. Unplugging is a good idea for most things. Not sure but just replaced not even a year old refrigerator with a blown motor after a lighting storm a few weeks ago. 

Knock on wood I haven't had any appliances fried - but I have gone through 2 Leonic whole house surge protectors, both fried to a crisp (i.e. they did their job!) within a couple of years.  I highly recommend them.

I'm out near Khaoi Yai and we get epic  thunder and lightening.

14 minutes ago, djayz said:

Why bother? More times than not, as soon as the winds pick up here in rural Isan, we have a power cut (usually branches or falling trees breaking power cables). 

If I had a Baht for every blackout, I'd be a millionaire by now! 

Keep meaning to get a generator for the house, but it always slips my mind... 

If I had a Baht for every blackout since I started keep track in October 2013, I'd have 90 Baht (seriously).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, salavan said:

due to lightning leading to tripping of ELCB.

That's not the job of an ELCB.

Lighning protection includes one or several Surge Protection Devices. If correctly dimensioned and installed, the Surge Protection Device trips before dangerously high voltage can appear on metal enclosures.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Knock on wood I haven't had any appliances fried - but I have gone through 2 Leonic whole house surge protectors, both fried to a crisp (i.e. they did their job!) within a couple of years.  I highly recommend them.

I'm out near Khaoi Yai and we get epic  thunder and lightening.

What is the cost of the Leonic surge protectors? Fried is fried and we all know from what. 

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

Nothing!!! But a lot of people project the old rules from landline phones to mobil phones.

My opinion too. But who convinces my ladies ????

And if they find that PEA pamphlet: woe to me.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What is the cost of the Leonic surge protectors? Fried is fried and we all know from what. 

I have model SP LS-411C  cost 13,000 baht in 29016. Still OK (though some marks on it) - they take a fair amount of surges before they totally conk out.

I forget how long its predecessor lasted but it was something like 7-10 years before the many surges took their toll.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They forgot

1) cover all mirrors

2) hide all forks

I can still remember my gran running around the house hiding the forks and covering the mirrors.

I new a girl who's grandmother made them sit in the middle of the bed and be quiet 

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have model SP LS-411C  cost 13,000 baht in 29016. Still OK (though some marks on it) - they take a fair amount of surges before they totally conk out.

I forget how long its predecessor lasted but it was something like 7-10 years before the many surges took their toll.

Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I'd avoid golf.

spacer.png

Oh Hell no.  Just the opposite in fact.  I'd be standing in the fairway waving my one iron at the sky.

-

-

-

-

Even God can't hit a one iron!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Well you learn something every day.

I've never heard of anybody having stuff blown up during lightning strikes.

I've never heard of anybody unplugging during a storm.

Mme Thujone believes that if somebody says they have had good luck and something has never happened to them, then it will soon happen to them. It's a semi-mystical belief.

So I'd better put in an order for a new fridge...

9 hours ago, djayz said:

Why bother? More times than not, as soon as the winds pick up here in rural Isan, we have a power cut (usually branches or falling trees breaking power cables). 

If I had a Baht for every blackout, I'd be a millionaire by now! 

Keep meaning to get a generator for the house, but it always slips my mind... 

I'm in Isaan as well and we seem to get voltage reductions now instead of cuts. You notice the lights dim and the aircon or fan slows down but the phone keeps charging at least for a while. Never seems to affect the nearby police man's house with the loud music though. It's better now but a few years back if it rained the internet stopped.

I don't know if it's true but I once heard that unplugging aerial or power cables doesn't help as there's enough power to jump any gap. It has jumped the gap to earth although it will have lost power.

• Like 2