Building project adjacent my property

Why does the developer need to build anything if your wall is already there? If your wall is a bit tatty on his side just let him clean it up and paint it. Constructing another wall next to yours will undermine your foundations. I doubt he is proposing a 3m wall around his entire site unless there are other problematic boundaries. For security it's best to make the top 1m unclimbable with collapsible trellis.

Just now, Cake Monster said:

He has asked you this to reduce his perimeter wall costs on his project, and for no other reason.

Actually by building on an existing wall he has also expanded the land area he has to build on, and as a result the new houses will be built closer to your house. The builders land filling behind my home have left a 4m gap between walls so we both have room to maintain/paint our walls.

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Actually by building on an existing wall he has also expanded the land area he has to build on, and as a result the new houses will be built closer to your house. The builders land filling behind my home have left a 4m gap between walls so we both have room to maintain/paint our walls.

Another good point

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

You can build a wall on your own land....

But then again all foreigners are visitors to this Kingdom and cannot own land AFAIK

Ignore if you are the one in a million foreigner who has Thai citizenship

Good luck, be well, and keep in touch  ????

Edited by Skallywag

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

But then again all foreigners are visitors to this Kingdom and cannot own land AFAIK

Ignore if you are the one in a million foreigner who has Thai citizenship

Good luck, be well, and keep in touch  ????

Well, I'm not a Thai citizen, neither do i have permanent residency, but I can show you the official document that I own the house and the perimeter wall, and that I had permission to build them.

NEXT

19 hours ago, RobMuir said:

No, if it on your land title, it is your wall. If you argue he can simply build another wall on his land next to your wall.

I believe you are legally required to leave enough space for maintenance of both walls.

It should possibly not be overlooked that if this "Developer" eventually offloads all the property/ies and exits any future liability and there is an issue with your original structure due to the proposed addition what/where/who for recourse?

On 5/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, Susco said:

But is that then the responsibility of the project developer, and if issues arise, he has to carry the repair costs?

In Thailand that will never happen.

I had an issue like this on a house in Bkk where we shared the wall at the property line. At first no issues everyone was happy then another owner took over the adjacent property and decided to cut vent holes completely thru the wall and modified his side to add an outbuilding  directly onto the wall. needless to say in was an ongoing battle as they viewed it as their right to use the wall as there's as  they were on there side, never mind the fact that pipes and vent were cut thru to my side 

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

I had an issue like this on a house in Bkk where we shared the wall at the property line. At first no issues everyone was happy then another owner took over the adjacent property and decided to cut vent holes completely thru the wall and modified his side to add an outbuilding  directly onto the wall. needless to say in was an ongoing battle as they viewed it as their right to use the wall as there's as  they were on there side, never mind the fact that pipes and vent were cut thru to my side 

You would also have the right to render over the pipes and vents...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

as they viewed it as their right to use the wall as there's as  they were on there side, never mind the fact that pipes and vent were cut thru to my side 

Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bag of cement and a trowel.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:31 PM, blackcab said:

You can build a wall on your own land all the way around your property. You can build to the edge of the land, making sure that all construction including foundations remain on your land. It is the height that is regulated.

Not really. It's about whether a structure is permanent, or not.

A wall is not considered as a permanent structure, so you can build up to your boundary. If it is a permanent structure like a house, then the one / two metre regulation comes into effect.

"Before you build a fence or wall around your property you must first have permission from the local Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor) or from the local municipality (tessabaan) to ensure that it will not contravene the Building Control Act. A fence or wall that runs along the boundary with public land must not be over three meters tall, and before you build a fence or a wall along any other boundary, if it will encroach on any part of the adjacent lot, you must first have written permission from the owner of that lot. If the land next door is private, there is no limit to the height of the wall or fence you may apply for, though the local authority has the power to restrict the height to which you may build.

Edited by KarenBravo

Just my opinion and experience. I had the same situation when it comes to walls particular the back as you indicate. Builders thereafter can use the existing wall as is this is usually common if a single home is built but you have a much larger project.

In my situation my back wall stretches along with a number of other houses on my left and right. The new project wanted to add to the height as you noted but our development noted if added they would now be responsible in the future for any failure and prior would need to sign on the doted line. In the end the project build their own wall which behind which leaves about a 3 inch gap with the two walls.

When the wall was built my side went unfinished I ask the floor man slipped him a few extra baht notes and finish my side smooth looks great.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bag of cement and a trowel.

True and that's when it starts to get really ugly and disputes get way out of hand. I was just offering up real world experience of some pitfalls that can happen when you  agree to share a wall like this, no telling what the future holds and it never ends well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You would also have the right to render over the pipes and vents...

Yes and that's when disputes escalate and as a foreigner they don't typically go in your favor  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

Yes and that's when disputes escalate and as a foreigner they don't typically go in your favor  

I'm a foreigner and things typically go in my favor. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right....

On 5/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, Susco said:

My wall is at inner and outer side cladded with slate stone, cost a fortune. It's double brick as well.

Waterfall2.thumb.jpg.7b9495791deb28337c7b65e8e00be822.jpg

That looks like a lovely wall (not joking) and if it were mine, I wouldn't want any additions/alterations to it, because you never know what the quality is going to be like, and once finished, the builder will walk away from it, even if it is substandard.

I don't know if this is relevant here, but a friend of mine had a perimeter wall around his house, and a development was going on next to it, however my friend really didn't keep an eye on what was going on (although he did lay some complaints with the builder), and when the development was finished it was damn near against his wall, with windows from the development looking straight into his property..........he was livid because it really did affect his privacy.