Deliver American Vaccine to Thailand Advocacy

RocketDog

This article on the VOA website describes ongoing efforts by various private groups to petition the American government to deliver various vaccines to American citizens living in Thailand. Currently USA has more than 500 million doses uncommitted. 

There are embedded links for contacting and/or joining both partisan and non-partisan advocacy groups. 

This an organized way to make your wishes known to the American government. 

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccines

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, catturd said:

"Currently USA has more than 500 million doses uncommitted."

You have proof of this claim? If not, remove it!

It's behind a firewall, but this says 300 million. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/15/united-states-vaccine-sharing/

U.S. could have 300 million extra vaccine doses by end of July, raising concerns about hoarding

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Thanks 1

From a news article I read earlier today in the Thailand News forum I understand that an appplication for the Moderna vaccine is currently pending at the Thai FDA, wheras Pfizer had not yet submitted an application.

10 hours ago, RocketDog said:

This article on the VOA website describes ongoing efforts by various private groups to petition the American government to  befofe  various vaccines to American citizens living in Thailand.

The US government cannot simply send vaccines to American citizens in Thailand before the Thai FDA has approved them for imprtation and sale in Thailand. Once they are approved, the person to whom the FDA has granted the permission to sell the vaccine is free to import and sell it under the terms of the Medicines Act.

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

The US government cannot simply send vaccines to American citizens in Thailand before the Thai FDA has approved them for imprtation and sale in Thailand. Once they are approved, the person to whom the FDA has granted the permission to sell the vaccine is free to import and sell it under the terms of the Medicines Act.

I don't make the news, I just report it. The same article appeared as a Webfact post  on TVF some time after I posted the VOA article.

A person in the US embassy is on American soil. That makes a significant difference in sovereign jurisdiction.

Of course in normal circumstances one must register in advance for an appointment and that application alone is $160 last time I checked. But that is not really the point.

The object of all these efforts is to get vaccines to American citizens, however that may be done. Other countries may do well to follow similar routes.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat they say and political/social pressure is but one.

I look forward to all progress on timely legal importation of US-approved vaccines into Thailand to the benefit of any citizens from any country, including Thailand, who wish alternatives to AZ and Sinovac.

However, I'm glad that, in my individual personal case, my life and health does not depend on it. I'll just wait it out.

10 hours ago, catturd said:

"Currently USA has more than 500 million doses uncommitted."

You have proof of this claim? If not, remove it!

Ah.... guess you didn't read the article. Any facts presented are those from the Voice of America.

Take the problem up with them. Feel free to research and post the latest figure.

But again, that's not the point. Regardless of the precise number, the Federal government has an excess of vaccines. That means the only issue between that stock and American citizens overseas is an airplane and a few hours. The acceptance by the host country is irrelevant as shipment is made via a diplomatic pouch.

The embassy is America soil, not under the jurisdiction of the host country/state, nor subject to those laws.

American Embassies are free to host as many expats every day as they care to, for whatever reasons.

This is only a question of will on the part of a citizen, his native country government, and mutual concern for his health and welfare.

I'm only presenting article to my fellow Americans, and inspiration to other expats who may want to see their own home countries do something similar.

For further information or critiques I have provided a link to the article in the OP for your convenience.

I invite you to contact the groups making these efforts to give them feedback on the concept.

Edited by RocketDog

There is no way that the US or any other embassy is going to offer vaccinations. They have no access to supplies approved by the Thai authorities, they have no infrastructure for operating a vaccination programme, they can accept no liability, and most of all they have no intent. So expats had better stop dreaming and accept the reality, register for the Thai state programme whenever that is possible and accept no choice of vaccine or wait until private hospitals are able to offer alternative vaccines at a cost. 

14 hours ago, Puccini said:

From a news article I read earlier today in the Thailand News forum I understand that an appplication for the Moderna vaccine is currently pending at the Thai FDA, wheras Pfizer had not yet submitted an application.

One of the hang-ups with these vaccines making their way here is the Indemnity clause they have written into the contracts for sales to others.  That form must be signed indemnifying the companies against being held liable for any damages incurred.

Thanks for posting the link to the article on VOA news.  I wasn't aware of that news source, and have bookmarked it for future news reading, and I've followed one of the advocacy groups highlighted in the posted article.