Private Hospitals & Vaccine name

I hope that testing in Thailand is thorough enough to identify and track the Indian Variant if (when?) it gets into Thailand.  I'm now contemplating booking my return to the US.  I won't be coming back.  My decision will be based on Thailand's vaccination policy and the trajectory of COVID infections in June.  I can't believe that a country so dependent on tourism would adopt such a nationalistic vaccination policy.  I hope that their vaccination policy is widely reported around the world.  There is no need for Thais to serve as "guinea pigs" for the Thai version of the AZ Vaccine as a commenter said in a local newspaper.  It has already been certified as safe by all the pertinent bodies.

BTW, is it true that Siam Bioscience will only be able to produce two million doses in June?

" I'm now contemplating booking my return to the US.  I won't be coming back.  My decision will be based on Thailand's vaccination policy"

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing.  At this point I will probably buy a Round Trip ticket with Singapore Airlines?  But who knows it could be a one way trip depending on the conditions to come back into the country.  Did Quarantine once (this was enough) this year in BKK.  

38 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

" I'm now contemplating booking my return to the US.  I won't be coming back.  My decision will be based on Thailand's vaccination policy"

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing.  At this point I will probably buy a Round Trip ticket with Singapore Airlines?  But who knows it could be a one way trip depending on the conditions to come back into the country.  Did Quarantine once (this was enough) this year in BKK.  

Too many unanswered questions, wait here a little longer........ 

I being overly cautious for long term Safety for Thai family . I am so far OK with the AZ and Covishield India's AZ variation as well as Covaxin India's own. I will be pleased  to take the Thai AZ variation. Hopefully I will have choice in the matter.

Posts with COVID misinformation and posts linking to social media, and replies to same ,have been removed in keeping with forum rules

"18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

and Health Forum specific rules

"2. Quackery and Misinformation: Posters should pay particular attention to forum rule # 2) "You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false".

This will be strictly applied with respect to presentation as fact any statements which are clearly contrary to medical science. A distinction is made in this regard between statements of opinion/reports of personal experience and statements of fact.

Posters should be aware that factual misstatements abound on the internet and, to a lesser extent, in printed media. In particular, broad claims to the effect that "X number of (doctors/scientists)" agree to something or that something has been "proven in X number of studies" without specific citations are often fictitious. If a poster chooses to repeat such information as fact, the burden of ensuring these citations are reliable rest with the poster, who should take the time to verify this."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

then what on earth is your issue? The plan in Thailand is to rely almost exclusively on locally made AZ.

xinovac is being used as a stop gap measure pending local production.  If immunized between now and when enough AZis in stock, there is a possibility of getting Sinovac especially if you are under 60.

There is no possibility to get anything other than AZ and Sinovac now as nothing else is present in the country.

You have no choice as to what vaccine you get at a government hospital. So if under 60 and not wanting Sinovac (and willing to delay vaccination), best to wait until local production of AZ comes online.

If/when Moderna becomes available - likely many months away - you would have to specifically seek it out.

Thank you Sheryl : a sound and sensible realistic posting.

Some people need to just calm down and stay safe and be patient.

I ain't a bookmaker but I would say that the odds of any foreigner getting the Covid 19 virus at this time is at worst 100/1...

So relax!

Edited by homeseeker
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, khunPer said:

Based on follow the news articles, the list is easy:

None

However, Moderne has just been approved for emergency use, and is the only vaccine so far in question for private hospitals to be allowed to use...????

It is only likely to be available at private hospitals but the private hospitals are not limited to it.

If they were they would not be able to vaccinate anyone for many months.

No reason at all not to supply them with AZ once available and I fully expect government will, though probably only once adequate supply for government hospitals is assurred.

"A government spokesman said Saturday that foreign nationals "in principle" ought to be able to begin receiving COVID vaccinations when Bangkok and other areas' walk-in vaccination clinics officially open in the coming days."

"in principle" "ought" "when" "coming days".

Very well defined then.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is only likely to be available at private hospitals but the private hospitals are not limited to it.

If they were they would not be able to vaccinate anyone for many months.

No reason at all not to supply them with AZ once available and I fully expect government will, though probably only once adequate supply for government hospitals is assurred.

I was referring to what so far has been mentioned in the press as a private vaccination option.

Bangkok Samui Hospital vaccinates with Sinovac, and next month also with AZ, but free of charge on behalf of the government; it's one of four places for vaccination on the island, the government hospital is another possibility, and Central Festival and the university the remaining two. Next lot of vaccinations begin May 26th and continue until June 1st with Sinovac, and it also includes all foreigners under 60 that wish a vaccination, and it's free of charge, whilst people over 60 will be vaccinated with AZ on June 7th, also including all interested foreigners.

From yesterday's news article in Thai PBS it seems like another 6 million Sinovac doses arriving in June, and that AZ will be used only for people 60 years or older...????

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

From yesterday's news article in Thai PBS it seems like another 6 million Sinovac doses arriving in June, and that AZ will be used only for people 60 years or older...????

The government has placed an order for more than 60 million doses of AZ. It is nto going to be used only in older people in the long run.

However as a temporary measure i.e. in Phase II, may be.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:59 AM, hotchilli said:

Best of luck, my local government hospital said they wouldn't register any foreigners yet.

It might not be the case at your hospital but another expat friend went to our hospital yesterday and he was told the same thing.

Fortunately he speaks pretty good Thai and told the person to check with their manager.

Surprise Surprise they registered him.

Maybe you need to go back and take someone who speaks Thai and explain what the National and provincial governments have stated that is “ Foreigners will be vaccinated”

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The government has placed an order for more than 60 million doses of AZ. It is nto going to be used only in older people in the long run.

However as a temporary measure i.e. in Phase II, may be.

I wrote: From yesterday's news article in Thai PBS it seems like another 6 million Sinovac doses arriving in June, and that AZ will be used only for people 60 years or older...

Like it or not, the Thai government by the end of this month will have in its possession six million doses of Sinovac vaccines. The biggest lot, AstraZeneca, projected at 61 million doses by the end of the year is currently reserved for those 60 and older only.

Source Article HERE.

The operative word is "currently". It refers to what is on hand now (which is a very limited supply). It does not refer to the whole 61 million doses. There are not that many people over 60 in Thailand.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The operative word is "currently". It refers to what is on hand now (which is a very limited supply). It does not refer to the whole 61 million doses. There are not that many people over 60 in Thailand.

I thought this was an odd reply so I googled it

https://ageingasia.org/ageing-population-thailand/#:~:text=to older people.-,Situation of older people,for 20% of the population.

No way would I consider 13 million, or 20%+ of the population,  people as "not many"

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

It might not be the case at your hospital but another expat friend went to our hospital yesterday and he was told the same thing.

Fortunately he speaks pretty good Thai and told the person to check with their manager.

Surprise Surprise they registered him.

Maybe you need to go back and take someone who speaks Thai and explain what the National and provincial governments have stated that is “ Foreigners will be vaccinated”

Thank you, I speak perfect Thai so don't need the missus to come with me.

I explained all the things you mentioned and more as laid out on national TV.

They said they have enough vaccine for the 60+ age group who have underlying symptoms and yes they prioritise Thais first.

I am in the 60 year age group but in perfect health so was told I don't qualify.

As for registering at the hospital for a future date they said wait for the details of the vaccination programme for foreigners in my location to come out.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

I thought this was an odd reply so I googled it

https://ageingasia.org/ageing-population-thailand/#:~:text=to older people.-,Situation of older people,for 20% of the population.

No way would I consider 13 million, or 20%+ of the population,  people as "not many"

I said not that many. "That" being the  61 vaccine doses that you state will be used only on people over 60.

61 divided by 2 doses = 30.5 million people. Almost 3 times the number of people aged over 60.

Once the full supply of AZ is in, its use  will not be confined to the elderly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Thank you, I speak perfect Thai so don't need the missus to come with me.

I explained all the things you mentioned and more as laid out on national TV.

They said they have enough vaccine for the 60+ age group who have underlying symptoms and yes they prioritise Thais first.

I am in the 60 year age group but in perfect health so was told I don't qualify.

As for registering at the hospital for a future date they said wait for the details of the vaccination programme for foreigners in my location to come out.

Only trying to offer some assistance and it’s unfortunate that the people who control your Province aren’t as helpful as where I live.

• Like 1

I think given the garbled, contradictory and weak "guidance" coming from central level we are going to see more and more divergence between locations as some provinces /districts take matters into their own hands while others remain fearful of acting without clear instruction from Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, khunPer said:

Based on follow the news articles, the list is easy:

None

However, Moderne has just been approved for emergency use, and is the only vaccine so far in question for private hospitals to be allowed to use...????

My wife, son and I are going in for Moderna next month.

Seems to be a bit of a 2 tier system going on though. Can't say which hospital at this point for some bizarre reason. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

My wife, son and I are going in for Moderna next month.

Seems to be a bit of a 2 tier system going on though. Can't say which hospital at this point for some bizarre reason. 

Your wife and son may get vaccinated, but doubt if you will yet.

But either way it will not be Moderna (as this is not due into the country until the last part of the year (at the earliest). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I said not that many. "That" being the  61 vaccine doses that you state will be used only on people over 60.

61 divided by 2 doses = 30.5 million people. Almost 3 times the number of people aged over 60.

Once the full supply of AZ is in, its use  will not be confined to the elderly.

Sorry to labour the point but you stated "There are not that many people over 60 in Thailand". so I say again that as there are 13 + million over 60 in Thailand I do not consider that as not that many.