Thailand reports 2,713 COVID-19 cases, 30 new deaths

webfact

A post that failed to comply with the forum's rules for reposting news content has been removed, along with several responses.

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

‘Phuket Must Win’ must close

PHUKET: The ‘Phuket Must Win’ web portal for people on the island to register to receive a state-provided COVID-19 vaccination will no longer accept registrations from Thais from June 5, and no longer receive registrations of foreigners after Tuesday (May 25).

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-must-win-must-close-80088.php

More of the magical, world-class, highly organised, transparent, and efficient Thai covid response posters keep telling us about ...

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The official tallies reported 1400 or so new cases from Phetchaburi province over the past two days, and I'd expect there will be some hundreds more later today when today's numbers by province are officially reported.

This below shows the daily new case numbers for Phetchaburi province for the past week through yesterday.

1265127536_PhetnaburiProvince.jpg.40c27f10475970d16c0db6ad1641fccf.jpg

I believe, some of the cases from this cluster outbreak also are being reported in other provinces because that's where those involved are from.

Believe me yesterday evening local news reported 2011 case in Kao Yoi and more to follow. 1 case also in Phetchaburi prison already. In my area they announce constantly to go to the tessaban or hospital if you were in or around the factories there. if they found out they did not report they will fine you. 

2 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

We live in weird times indeed, most people seem totally oblivious to math, statistics and chance calculations that show them that the ride to the test center on the back of a motorbike is a lot more dangerous than the actual infection.

Well, yes.

Your sense of risk management is not so good, because you don’t grasp the consequences of unfettered spread of an infectious disease. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think you miss my point. Ok you expect it to float around 2k which it was for a few wks but then very recently large clusters have been discovered yet the numbers remain virtually the same. This is what I have a problem with. 

Because the number of infections outside of the clusters is decreasing. For example, there were 100+ infections in Chonburi today, but 75 were in factories, only 25 elsewhere.

or, it may be that testing outside of the clusters, and for hospital walk-ins, has been abandoned.

Edited by Danderman123

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

PHUKET: The ‘Phuket Must Win’ web portal for people on the island to register to receive a state-provided COVID-19 vaccination will no longer accept registrations from Thais from June 5, and no longer receive registrations of foreigners after Tuesday (May 25).

What is the consequence of this decision ?

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

For Astra Zeneca they found it is more effective if second shot is given much later. In Europe second shots have also been postponed to 4-5 moths later. Maybe Sinovac is similar?

In Thailand, sinovac is 3 weeks, and astrazeneca is 10 weeks. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I wonder why the left hand of the doctor always conveniently covers the needle touching the skin

The vaccine has to go into muscle, so the muscle is pinched up into a convenient  mound by the other hand.......if it goes directly into the blood stream it can kill you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

For Astra Zeneca they found it is more effective if second shot is given much later. In Europe second shots have also been postponed to 4-5 moths later. Maybe Sinovac is similar?

If that is why vajira  hospital in Phuket is postponing second jabs, and it may well be, I wonder why they don’t come out and say so and just reschedule the appointments?

not doing so makes one feel suspicious and look for negative reasons for the postponement. For instance, maybe Phuket is now a sinovac only zone and people who had the first AZ jab have to hope they don’t get forgotten in the reclassification. I don’t think it’s many people tbh, from memory not much AZ was ever imported.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

I swear it was only 10 days ago that I was being told Phuketians could not use the general Covid vaccine registration app and HAD to use the Phuket must win app.

gotta stay nimble in Thailand, long term strategy lasts the blink of an eye ????

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Your sense of risk management is not so good, because you don’t grasp the consequences of unfettered spread of an infectious disease. 

Really i don't, tell me why with arguments please.

We can all see the stats don't we, i see the same as you ; 3.5 million deaths in 1 year and 5 months. That's 0,03% of the earth population per year. Tell me i am wrong

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Really i don't, tell me why with arguments please.

We can all see the stats don't we, i see the same as you ; 3.5 million deaths in 1 year and 5 months. That's 0,03% of the earth population per year. Tell me i am wrong

So, you are resorting to this lame argument. I think Holocaust apologists and defense attorneys make the same argument. 

At what point do you consider marginal deaths to be a problem? A billion? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I swear it was only 10 days ago that I was being told Phuketians could not use the general Covid vaccine registration app and HAD to use the Phuket must win app.

gotta stay nimble in Thailand, long term strategy lasts the blink of an eye ????

I read on hear a couple of days ago that we could register at Bangkok Hospital Siriroj here in Phuket. Went there this morning nice and early after the school run and they said they have no information yet on that.

The UK, South Africa and Brazil variants could be much more contagious than earlier versions. All three have undergone changes to their spike protein – the part of the virus which attaches to human cells. As a result, these variants seem to be better at infecting cells and spreading.

However, there is no evidence that any of them cause much more serious illness for the vast majority of people who become infected.

As with the original version, the risk is highest for people who are elderly or have significant underlying health conditions.

No photo description available.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158036303812050

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Nine villages in Tak Bai district, where the first cases of the South African variant of COVID-19 were detected, remain closed to prevent the malignant strain from spreading to other areas in Narathiwat province.

Department of Disease Control (DDC) Director-General Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong said those villages are under lockdown after health authorities detected the South African variant in three people, who have fully recovered from their infections. The province had originally planned the lockdown from May 8th to Saturday only, but the restrictions are still being enforced.

He said the South African variant, detected in Tak Bai, was similar to that found in Malaysia. An investigation by the department found the strain was imported into Thailand by a Malaysian woman, who illegally crossed the border to Thailand with her son and mother-in-law to visit her husband in Tak Bai from April 12-May 4."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158036279117050

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Nine villages in Tak Bai district, where the first cases of the South African variant of COVID-19 were detected, remain closed to prevent the malignant strain from spreading to other areas in Narathiwat province.

Department of Disease Control (DDC) Director-General Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong said those villages are under lockdown after health authorities detected the South African variant in three people, who have fully recovered from their infections. The province had originally planned the lockdown from May 8th to Saturday only, but the restrictions are still being enforced.

He said the South African variant, detected in Tak Bai, was similar to that found in Malaysia. An investigation by the department found the strain was imported into Thailand by a Malaysian woman, who illegally crossed the border to Thailand with her son and mother-in-law to visit her husband in Tak Bai from April 12-May 4."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158036279117050

I hope they have extended the testing to the villages surrounding the 9 that have been locked down.  Foot paths, motorbike trails do exist and people walk between villages to see friends.  Did they ring them with barbed wire and guards?

23 minutes ago, anchadian said:

However, there is no evidence that any of them cause much more serious illness for the vast majority of people who become infected.

If they cause more infections they will cause more serious cases and more deaths won't they?Surely if more people are seriously ill or more people die as a result of it being more infectious then it causes "more" serious illness and death!How does one know how each individual will react if infected with the different strains?One could also say there is no evidence that it doesn't cause more serious illness for the majority of people who become infected.