Phuket sandbox. Will Pfizer vaccinated tourists be allowed?

Hi

I flew out of Thailand a few days ago and yesterday received my first jab of the Pfizer Covid 19 vaccine.  Second jab will be received on 14/6. I chose Pfizer because it appears to be popularly recognised globally. 

I live in Phuket and my idealistic plan is to return there in early July as part of the sanbox "plan". The reason for this post is not to discuss vaccines or the likelihood of any such sandbox plan but to ask the question whether I will be allowed to join the plan in the first place, along with other tourists, who have been vaccinated with Pfizer? This vaccine is not approved by FDA in Thailand and I therefore  wonder if they will accept Pfizer jabbed tourists such as me???

Even if the Phuket sandbox does happen, I will bet you for at least the first 6 months it has so many restrictions, rules, and expenses that normal ASQ will be easier, cheaper, and preferable for most people.

• Haha 2

an older post 

Visitors to Thailand will need to upload copies of the vaccination certificates on the website of the nation’s Foreign Ministry prior to arrival to reduce the quarantine period to seven days. Those without vaccinations will still need to undergo 10 days of isolation and visitors from countries including South Africa will be subject to two-week quarantine.

The list of approved vaccine-makers are Sinovac, AstraZeneca , SK Bioscience, Pfizer, BioNTech SE, Serum Institute of India, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Sinopharm Group.

• Like 1

It’s a good question. I haven’t any real clue, but my guess is that if they can mark you down as a “sandbox arrival” then you’ll be welcomed with open arms and celebrated as being the first of many millions who will be coming soon.

No doubt you would fodder for a huge PR spin story.

sorry, I can’t be of any real help.

You MUST contact your Thai Embassy they can tell you which vaccines are accepted.

The embassy will need to know your vaccine type before they issue you an COE.

i've sent a message regarding mine just now

6 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I've heard (3rd hand) that some of the Phuket GMs have reported their Phuket hotels (big name 5-star) are close to fully booked for the high season starting in November/December.  I repeat - fully booked.

Why would that mean anything???  They were probably fully booked this time a year ago for the 2020 high season.   Hotels have no control over the border quarantine procedures.

• Haha 1

Surely nothing will go wrong with the sandpit scheme there is money to be made just look out for the obvious list of lunatic requirements that you will be required to fulfil and the welcoming smiles as you part with your life savings for the privilege of visiting????     

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Why would that mean anything???  They were probably fully booked this time a year ago for the 2020 high season.   Hotels have no control over the border quarantine procedures.

Booked a year ago?  That is not what I heard - these are relatively recent bookings as of some weeks back.

Indeed I suspect the bookings can be cancelled if entry to Thailand for the fully vaccinated foreigner becomes difficult, or if there is a 4th wave in Phuket, or if there are large restrictions still in place in Phuket.  But these recent bookings do give a indication that the doom and gloom predictions of some could very much be "in the wrong ball park"  (to coin an expression) for some of the hotels. 

There is pent up demand for those who want to holiday, who have been unable to, because of the pandemic. To ignore that would be foolish for any business, and as stated, I have heard 3rd hand (from sources I tend to believe) that some of the large hotel chains in Phuket are getting many bookings for high season, albeit the bookings could be cancelled if need be.    My suspicion is the Hotels with the overseas connections ... the big hotel chains ... that have guaranteed cancellations possible, are quite possibly going to do well with these bookings.

This of course means the roll out of the vaccine in Phuket, and the driving down of COVID cases in Phuket, becomes very important, and this need (to vaccinate/drive down COVID in Phuket) is IMHO not lost on the local government who are pushing hard to meet their 70% vaccination goal. 

Related to a certain extent, I was exchanging posts with a friend in Europe who loves to downhill ski (where the friend is living in a country with a COVID situation far far worse than Thailand) and he is looking to downhill ski for the 2021/2022 downhill ski season in another country in a different content, also with a COVID situation far far worse than Thailand.  He noted he finally booked a ski package, but that it was VERY difficult to get good ski packages for the 2021/2022 season, because many have already been taken/booked full.  There is massive pent up demand for those who want to holiday ... in this case in a winter sport.

Granted - that is a winter sport (and NOT a hot summer activity such as Thailand) but the point here - is the pent up demand.  

IMHO it would be foolish for any business to ignore a pent up demand that is about to take place ..... Of course its free for us on this forum to pontificate with no consequence for a wrong business decision.

Lets see what happens.  I'm becoming optimistic.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I've heard (3rd hand) that some of the Phuket GMs have reported their Phuket hotels (big name 5-star) are close to fully booked for the high season starting in November/December.  I repeat - fully booked.

A lot of these will not be people booking, they will be travel companies block-booking so that they can offer package deals.  They'll probably be cancelled or reduced nearer the time.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

A lot of these will not be people booking, they will be travel companies block-booking so that they can offer package deals.  They'll probably be cancelled or reduced nearer the time.

Indeed that could very well be.  ... Further I note what I heard this was the big hotels with International chain of hotels around the world.  I did not hear this for the more local hotels.  

Still - an effort is being made. I think that important.

I think we all agree, if true that some well known hotels have good bookings (for high season only) , there is a LOT more to just such hotels for the tourism in Phuket, and that the situation is very dynamic and difficult.

But I do think it good that the effort is being made.   Some appear to think it funny the effort is being made.

Its a challenge to get Phuket's # of daily cases consistently down to zero cases, and for Phuket's population to be at herd immunity by 1-July (such that the province can be opened to vaccinated foreigners without having to quarantine upon arrival) and that effort is something that despite all the skepticism of many is a good challenge for Phuket to try, ...  and I for one am very glad to see the local goverment trying.

I get the sense that there are many who think it all very funny and they enjoy laughing at the efforts of those who try hard to improve a difficult situation.  Sad if that is true.

19 hours ago, bolt said:

You MUST contact your Thai Embassy they can tell you which vaccines are accepted.

The embassy will need to know your vaccine type before they issue you an COE.

i've sent a message regarding mine just now

A recent request to an embassy for COE requirements for sandbox entry was reportedly answered with "no idea".  Please let us know if this has changed or not.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

A recent request to an embassy for COE requirements for sandbox entry was reportedly answered with "no idea".  Please let us know if this has changed or not.

I agree with you, and once again the Thais won’t speculate, absolutely not, “you will blame me later and everyone will laugh at my face, its better to say I don’t know. then they can never blame me”

My local Thai Embassy said “No update yet”

We had the same situation just before new rules were implemented 1st April, the new rules were Gazetted April 2nd

So I expect Sandbox approval June Monday 28th-29-30

I’m looking at arriving 2nd week of July so plenty of time  

I’ll keep anyone updated on various topics that are bound to appear here.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Booked a year ago?  That is not what I heard - these are relatively recent bookings as of some weeks back.

Indeed I suspect the bookings can be cancelled if entry to Thailand for the fully vaccinated foreigner becomes difficult, or if there is a 4th wave in Phuket, or if there are large restrictions still in place in Phuket.  But these recent bookings do give a indication that the doom and gloom predictions of some could very much be "in the wrong ball park"  (to coin an expression) for some of the hotels. 

There is pent up demand for those who want to holiday, who have been unable to, because of the pandemic. To ignore that would be foolish for any business, and as stated, I have heard 3rd hand (from sources I tend to believe) that some of the large hotel chains in Phuket are getting many bookings for high season, albeit the bookings could be cancelled if need be.    My suspicion is the Hotels with the overseas connections ... the big hotel chains ... that have guaranteed cancellations possible, are quite possibly going to do well with these bookings.

This of course means the roll out of the vaccine in Phuket, and the driving down of COVID cases in Phuket, becomes very important, and this need (to vaccinate/drive down COVID in Phuket) is IMHO not lost on the local government who are pushing hard to meet their 70% vaccination goal. 

Related to a certain extent, I was exchanging posts with a friend in Europe who loves to downhill ski (where the friend is living in a country with a COVID situation far far worse than Thailand) and he is looking to downhill ski for the 2021/2022 downhill ski season in another country in a different content, also with a COVID situation far far worse than Thailand.  He noted he finally booked a ski package, but that it was VERY difficult to get good ski packages for the 2021/2022 season, because many have already been taken/booked full.  There is massive pent up demand for those who want to holiday ... in this case in a winter sport.

Granted - that is a winter sport (and NOT a hot summer activity such as Thailand) but the point here - is the pent up demand.  

IMHO it would be foolish for any business to ignore a pent up demand that is about to take place ..... Of course its free for us on this forum to pontificate with no consequence for a wrong business decision.

Lets see what happens.  I'm becoming optimistic.

Im glad someone is optimistic.

Id like to think there is a lot of pent-up demand in Australia also,

alas the sheeple dont seem to be saying Jack Sทit about our !@#$ government keeping us prisoner for !@#$%^ knows how much longer.

On 5/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, oldcpu said:

I would not bet that.

I don't know if true, but November/December is within the 6-months you noted - so I would recommend trimming the bet down to 4 months - or even to much less?    I would bet that the only way the normal ASQ's will be easier/cheaper will be if in July/August, a 4th pandemic wave hits Phuket from tourists arriving, bringing the virus (despite their being vaccinated) which in turn the Phuket 70% vaccinated could not cope with, resulting in  new lockdowns in Phuket.  I think that very unlikely - but time will tell.

I am starting to get optimistic.

Australia and New Zealand plus Singapore and HKG can't even keep their "travel bubbles" functuoning smoothly as outbreaks pop up like whack a mole. This sandbox idea is going to be shaky at best, it's going to take YEARS to get the world on the same page with vaccine passports and rules and whatnot, I do wish the OP the very best of luck, but I am not optimistic about the integrity of the "sandbox" holding because people gonna people. And that means the chaos and last minute U turns are here for as lomg as the globe wrestles back to normality.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, ubonjoe said:

The Pfizer vaccine was on the approved list when the 7 day quarantine was available if vaccinated.

The Thai FDA approved list is only for giving the vaccines here not for entry to the country.

after being vaccinated , you can always return to thailand using the  14 days quarantine and health insurance package . The Phuket package has also a short quarantine and covid test  and a 7 days to" keep an eye" on your health condition before you will be free to move around. 

Just because you are vaccinated and live in Phuket, it  will not give you the opportunity to move around.. you are still treated as a VIP tourist living in thailand.. (longterm visa every year, 90 day reporting...etc...).The Phuket plan has many rules and  restriction to follow for all foreigners.

if you have money.. then it should not be a problem --just as small inconvenience.

Why wouldn't they accept Pfizer? Some countries are choosing Pfizer over other brands.  Some countries are or have dropped AZ vaccine which Thailand seems to like.  Maybe its a matter of preference of which brand is given by certain countries, but once vaccinated, you are vaccinated.  Thats of course if you want to be vaccinated at all.  Personally, id prefer to do the 14 day quarantine than get one of these jabs, but again a matter of preference. 

I'm certainly hoping this "sandbox" lets me do 10 days of "beach quarantine" with swimming, instead of 16 days of Bangkok ASQ, when I come back from my vaxx trip in September.  As long as they let me go to Bangkok after, then count me in!

However I do find it funny that the vaccination must be "within 1 year" -- old folks in the USA were getting fully vaccinated in December, I would not be surprised if there are at least a few who might like to come to Thailand in January.  Same with UK obviously.

Also maybe worth noting that Thai is not (as of today anyway) selling any direct flights from Germany to Phuket.  All flights go through BKK, so I guess they're planning to allow airside transfers now?

18 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

Also maybe worth noting that Thai is not (as of today anyway) selling any direct flights from Germany to Phuket.  All flights go through BKK, so I guess they're planning to allow airside transfers now?

TG923 from Frankfurt, on Fridays only, will go from FRA-HKT-BKK, dropping off the sandbox customers in Phuket before heading on to Bangkok.  It's bookable now with the first date of operation 2nd July.  Before that (until Friday 25th June) this departure from FRA is TG921 direct to Bangkok AIUI.

image.png.551a1f4ebe6c1cb5c6d28ce67011c53d.png

• Thanks 1

If they should actually start doing this it's only a matter of time until somebody gets infected at Phuket, carries it outside of Phuket and starts a new Covid wave.

Considering how paranoid Thailand has been in the past, they would then probably immediately stop it. Make sure you only book flights/hotels where you can get your money back.

According to Richard Barrow they will only allow low-medium risk countries and only with directs flight. This would rule out USA, Germany, France, Italy etc. anyway.

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

According to Richard Barrow they will only allow low-medium risk countries and only with directs flight. This would rule out USA, Germany, France, Italy etc. anyway.

Germany and France are OK, at least in the eyes of Thai Airways who have flights planned.

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Germany and France are OK, at least in the eyes of Thai Airways who have flights planned.

Will they mix vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers - forgetting about children for this question - on the same aircraft, and then route passengers to a/the sandbox or ASQ?

Or will every passenger need to have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days?