Are 5 year driving licenses still available?

I asked if one could change a 5yr to a 2yr to avoid the training video at Banglamung DLT and was told no, that the amnesty lasts till 31 July and that all Insurers had been told to maintain cover on lapsed licences

• Like 1

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I'm on a Non Immigrant (Retirement) Visa and had a date booked for earlier this month at the Pattaya one just off Highway 36.  Dropped by the week before to confirm it was open and what documents needed.

1. Copy of passport details page
  2. Copy of visa page
  3. Copy of Yellow Book details page
  4. Doc certificate.

Was also told to come in any time early as they were not busy.  Went back the next day (Thursday 13th ish) at around 1100.  Handed in forms, waited 5-10 minutes to take colour blindness, reaction and depth perception tests.  Queued 5 minutes to pay, almost immediately to picture taking and then collect D/L a couple of minutes later.

D/L was until Feb 2027.

Wife very annoyed because I got longer than her and she hadn't finished her noodles when I was ready to leave.

Was this a 5 to 5yr extension? Sounds like a 2 to 5yr?

Got my 5 year licence renewed at Nonthaburi in January with no problems. I hold an O visa on annual extensions. In fact I was given 6 years due to coincidence of dates. This is, and always has been, a simple procedure. I don't think an agent would be of any use in making this application 

• Like 1

I have an international driving licence and as it was pointed our some people spend a lot of time in getting the thai licence. I hate spending 8 Hrs waiting in line, watching vids etc during a pandemic.  Would maybe not have a yellow book doc.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, stat said:

I have an international driving licence and as it was pointed our some people spend a lot of time in getting the thai licence. I hate spending 8 Hrs waiting in line, watching vids etc during a pandemic.  Would maybe not have a yellow book doc.

Thanks!

Sure, me too, when I visit the Kingdom for a few months as my Thai one has expired, but they only last for a year right?........Unless you know something I don't.....Any insider info appreciated.........Otherwise you gotta go back to country of origin every year just to renew it................

Usually there are Insurance companies near the DLT they can do the foot work fir you for a few.. your paperwork needs to be

correct.and complete.. Sit rnjoy a cup of or coffee or? Until you

need to go over and complete process..

12 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Interesting. Can you tell us the name of 'place in Naklau'. I've tried to find a driving school that does this and that the DLT accept. Thanks

He said left off suk go down to next intersection turn right and its there on the left.

I assume this place.

42137888_Annotation2021-05-29040803.png.3b48b781a641fb87eedaa0e115eda4ad.png

On 5/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, bojo said:

Sure, me too, when I visit the Kingdom for a few months as my Thai one has expired, but they only last for a year right?........Unless you know something I don't.....Any insider info appreciated.........Otherwise you gotta go back to country of origin every year just to renew it................

Get the 1968 IDL as it is valid for three years (valid since 01 May 2021 in Thailand). You are alowed to driven 3 months with IDL every time you come into Thailand. If you stay longer then 3 monthe you officially need a thai licence.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, Thingamabob said:

Got my 5 year licence renewed at Nonthaburi in January with no problems. I hold an O visa on annual extensions. In fact I was given 6 years due to coincidence of dates. This is, and always has been, a simple procedure. I don't think an agent would be of any use in making this application 

Ditto. Strangely enough I started the procedure in Cha Am with a 2 year and when I tried to renew was only given another 2 year. Went to Nonthaburi and 5 year (5 year 8 month) obtained in 1 hour.   Agreed on non requirement of agent. As a footnote I also find Immigration to be very reasonable there too.

Perhaps because there are very few farangs out here so the authorities don't get wound up be the ones that throw their dummies out. To be honest when you think that all IO's do all day is play around with 20 rubber stamps it's a job I wouldn't care for.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:11 AM, chrissables said:

Renew it at least a day late and you get six years, strange but true.

I thought (and confirmed by my license) that it ran to the date of your birthday immediately after 5 the years.