Sinovac Safe?

habuspasha

I am trying to convince my Thai partner to get vaccinated even if with the Sinovac vaccine.  She says she will not take Sinovac because people have taken it and died.  When I ask for evidence, she says everybody knows this, everyone in her family believes this, it’s been on television, no one will take it now.  My question is: Is this any more than rumor bred on fear and mistrust?  Is there any evidence that Thai recipients of Sinovac have died from it?  Is this a pervasive belief in Thailand anyway?

I know it is not as effective as other jabs and like them can cause temporary discomfort.  But everything I read says it is not dangerous and it is better than nothing. She counters with distrust of the government.  Says they hide covid deaths. I say they have a greater interest in protecting Thai made AZ.  But I can't discern rumor from reality in Thailand from my current perch in the U.S.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

my friend, young female medic, had serious health problems after the second sinovac.

multiple check ups, including mri brain scan.

despite all possible medicines she has recovered only in 80%, that's after 1 month.

give her sinopharm, even if at 1k per shot and even if 3 shots. Coming in June, probably at the end of month. Still, it will be faster, than astrazeneca.

if she is not in a risk group there is no need to jump line

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

You should follow news from countries that use Sinovac. Uruguay just published some results. I am not sure whether they also examined the safety.

You should also read yesterdays Thai English-language newspaper that cannot be named and see what Dr Opas has to say.

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

To play Devil's Advocate, how can it not be safe?  It is an inert virus, completely 'sterile'. It is the body's own immune system that is tricked into thinking it is a 'real' virus entering the body, and thus creating antibodies to fight that apparent pathogen.

The Russian jab had a batch that contained a live virus.  It happens.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210428-brazil-says-russian-covid-vaccine-carried-live-cold-virus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

It may be from the recent Thai news (and BP) report of a young Yala woman, 32, who died of blood clots in her lungs. She sought hospital help for chest pain shortly after vaccination and died a week later. A friend vaccinated at the same time suffered similar chest pain but was not hospitalized.  Thai TV news mentioned they had the same vaccine batch.

Granted though, it's hard to teach some people about probability. OTH, Thailand seems to have a high incidence of suspicious reactions like the 7 people , 6 in Rayong.  who suffered paralysis and were given anticoagulants. Again, from the same batch of Sinovac.

These jabs are not risk free.  But we've got no choice.  Sadly...

• Confused 1

Mass vaccination creates healthy oasis in Brazilian city

Serrana, a city in southeastern Brazilian state of Sao Paulo, has seen a 95% drop in COVID-19 deaths after it concluded vaccination of almost all adults, TV Globo reported on Sunday.

With 45,000 inhabitants Serrana is a healthy oasis in Brazil, which has the world's second deadliest outbreak with more than 461,000 deaths so far and a very slow immunization pace due to the lack of vaccines.

Serrana was the subject of a study by Instituto Butantan, which produces the Coronavac vaccine developed by China's Sinovac Biotech (SVA.O) in Brazil.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mass-vaccination-creates-healthy-oasis-brazilian-city-2021-05-31/

The article goes on to say that when 75% of the population was vaccinated, the spread of the virus was halted. It doesn't say what percentage of the population already had been infected with covid.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Really, I made a post here on alternatives and it appears to have been taken down, i.e. medicines that have treated similar viruses and were effective, but it was taken down, dare I mention them again ?

Ask yourself this, what are the Thai hospitals prescribing to those with Covid in the hospitals and then send them home once they have past the 14 days quarantine, bet you they aren't vaccinations, but we can't talk about alternatives because the drive is vaccines, don't talk about adverse effects or deaths when it comes to vaccines, freedom of speech has gone out the window.

Here are a list of other treatments current being used, why TVF doesn't allow me to speak freely when the evidence is there sucks.....we should be able to show other sides of the coin, isn't that what forums are about, discussions, information, to agree and to disagree ?

https://www.thailandmedical.news/articles/covid19-drugs

All of these medications in Thai Medical News are for those who already have Covid, not for preventing infection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rabas said:

It may be from the recent Thai news (and BP) report of a young Yala woman, 32, who died of blood clots in her lungs. She sought hospital help for chest pain shortly after vaccination and died a week later. A friend vaccinated at the same time suffered similar chest pain but was not hospitalized.  Thai TV news mentioned they had the same vaccine batch.

Granted though, it's hard to teach some people about probability. OTH, Thailand seems to have a high incidence of suspicious reactions like the 7 people , 6 in Rayong.  who suffered paralysis and were given anticoagulants. Again, from the same batch of Sinovac.

It is called a long emboli or PE you can get that even without a vaccin.

• Like 1