Thailand reports 4,528 COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths

2 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

One dose of Sinovac is very ineffective it was rated as only 4% effective in Chile hence their ongoing problems. With the government saying "x" amount are vaccinated this is very misleading. It only becomes effective 2 weeks after the second dose. Then only around 50% though it is believed to stop serious complications after the second dose.

Ahem

First Dose of Chinese Covid-19 Vaccine Offers Little Protection, Chile Learns

On Friday, Chilean authorities released the results of a study of 10.5 million people, showing the vaccine was 16% effective against infection after one dose and 67% effective after a second dose. The study also found it to be 80% effective in preventing death from Covid-19 two weeks after a second dose.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/first-dose-of-chinese-covid-19-vaccine-offers-little-protection-chile-learns-11618775502

Edited by onthedarkside
formatting
  • Like 1

Better keep gyms closed but keep mass transit open with literally ZERO changes. No queue system to stagger the number of riders, it’s business as usual packed like sardines. 

Sidewalk stalls and cramped makeshift drinking spots and 7/11 sidewalk Bars open off the main sois still open. Tiny 7/11s where you are bumping into everyone still open. God forbid someone might want to visit a gym to relieve some mind numbing boredom and stay fit though...Even though there’s actually good evidence to suggest that gyms are one of the least virus spreading venues when sanitation practices are followed.

Who needs exercise? That’s not essential. Sitting down at MK restaurants that are always packed solid and eating roasted duck and waiting in a 15 person queue in a parking garbage definitely is, though. That’s essential. Eating at an over-capacity KFC at lunch hour is definitely essential.

Just go exercise outside, plebeian. It’s definitely not crowded in Bangkok and jogging on the streets definitely isn’t a nightmare and it’s bloody hot outside anyway with unevenly paved roads and psychopaths riding motorcycles on sidewalks.

It’s both infuriating and hilarious to see everything crumble within a couple of months period. Like literally seeing the Junta panic and institute overzealous measures while the numbers still climb, while I can’t do <deleted> except chill out all day or go exercise in the blistering heat with a mask restricting my breathing. 

Guess I’m going to be investing into an indoor cardio machine of some sort. Gyms will not open anytime soon.. because gyms are what caused this third wave, definitely not an alcohol fueled holiday that wasn’t necessary at all, especially before mass vaccinations took place.

Just open up the god damn Gyms and I’ll shut up forever.????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Sidewalk stalls and cramped makeshift drinking spots and 7/11 sidewalk Bars open off the main sois still open. Tiny 7/11s where you are bumping into everyone still open. God forbid someone might want to visit a gym to relieve some mind numbing boredom and stay fit though...Even though there’s actually good evidence to suggest that gyms are one of the least virus spreading venues when sanitation practices are followed.

I doubt that there's any good evidence re sanitation and gyms. That's because the risk of contracting covid from surfaces has been determined to be very low. Most contagion happens via the air.

• Like 2

"Meanwhile on Saturday, health officials said that 3.5 million people in Thailand have now been vaccinated against COVID-19."  With probably two thirds of those in Phuket and Pattaya and mostly with sinovac which is all but useless. So, only the MONEY making areas are sort of covered, with assurances to any visitors that all is safe. About as much use as boobs on a fish, at that rate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There are many vaccines approved in Thailand..... thou doth talk rot!

Sinopharm joins Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna to be officially approved for use in Thailand.

Thai Tiger

Indeed approved, but are they ordered??? because I can approve everything but if I don't order it nothing will happen. and as far as we know only moderna will come at tge end of October.. and J and J??? Never heard of Pfizer not approved but should come in July 10-20 mill.. but never head of and Sinopharm approved but the company not allowed to import... So what is positive about approved???

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The PBS article says it been partially closed.With 32% infection rate so far makes me wonder if they have done any testing in the community with their fabulously efficient proactive testing regime or does the regime guidelines not allow this type of testing?

A Charoen Pokphand Foods facility. I wonder whether they do not want this news to get out. It would not look good.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The new Variant that has been found in Vietnam is not a Mutation as such, but is a Hybrid of Two of the Mutations which have been discovered so far.

These Two Mutations are the UK ( Kent ) Variant, and the Indian Variant..

It is said to be an Airborne Variant and highly contagious.

Only yesterday Cambodia eased Border restrictions with Vietnam, so Thailand has to be extremely vigilant.

Fair enough. If they're calling a hybrid ok. Uk and Indian should be called V.2.1.V. V for Vietnam and V for Vindaloo

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Are any daily testing figures available?

Specifically: location, number of tests, number of positives.

Saying there were no new cases in 29 provinces is cool, cooler if there were any tests performed.

The simple answer is: No tests...... No cases. ????

All you have to do is look at the so called “clusters” to understand that this is completely out of control now and the true numbers are likely 10 x higher than this being published.

These are NOT clusters. These are just identified areas within the broader outbreak. The dots are not being connected with testing either purposefully or at a minimum through the lack of available testing. 

It is just silly to think this is not already rampant in those provinces where no cases are being reported. Would love to know what the test numbers are in those provinces alas we will never know.

This is a ticking bomb, it’s like the Dutch kid with his finger in the dyke...at some point (and probably quite soon) this facade will come crashing down...it will, it has to..truth of this magnitude can only be surpressed for so long.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Better keep gyms closed but keep mass transit open with literally ZERO changes. No queue system to stagger the number of riders, it’s business as usual packed like sardines. 

Who needs exercise? That’s not essential. Sitting down at MK restaurants that are always packed solid and eating roasted duck and waiting in a 15 person queue in a parking garbage definitely is, though. That’s essential. Eating at an over-capacity KFC at lunch hour is definitely essential.

Just go exercise outside, plebeian. It’s definitely not crowded in Bangkok and jogging on the streets definitely isn’t a nightmare and it’s bloody hot outside anyway with unevenly paved roads and psychopaths riding motorcycles on sidewalks.

It’s both infuriating and hilarious to see everything crumble within a couple of months period. Like literally seeing the Junta panic and institute overzealous measures while the numbers still climb, while I can’t do <deleted> except chill out all day or go exercise in the blistering heat with a mask restricting my breathing. 

Guess I’m going to be investing into an indoor cardio machine of some sort. Gyms will not open anytime soon.. because gyms are what caused this third wave, definitely not an alcohol fueled holiday that wasn’t necessary at all, especially before mass vaccinations took place.

Just open up the god damn Gyms and I’ll shut up forever.????

Where in Bangkok is it packed as you say. Every morning and evening we are out. Unless it's during the morning time when people go to work and then the evening when they return. The streets for the most part have been empty, we can run on Rama 4 around the outside of Lumpini park, up ploenchit to Sukhumvit and back with very few people especially in the evenings between 6 and 8 when we go at night.  Last night a 2 hour jog up and around and even walking through Central World it was fairly deserted, even inside and we walked out at 8pm. True the gyms could be opened as well as the pools and parks.  Even ran down Soi Cowboy and back out to Soi 23 and up sukhimvit on Friday, no bars open and no crowds anywhere.  Maybe I am living in an alternate universe Bangkok.

20210517_184042.jpg

20210514_183901.jpg

20210514_183558.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where in Bangkok is it packed as you say. Every morning and evening we are out. Unless it's during the morning time when people go to work and then the evening when they return. The streets for the most part have been empty, we can run on Rama 4 around the outside of Lumpini park, up ploenchit to Sukhumvit and back with very few people especially in the evenings between 6 and 8 when we go at night.  Last night a 2 hour jog up and around and even walking through Central World it was fairly deserted, even inside and we walked out at 8pm. True the gyms could be opened as well as the pools and parks.  Even ran down the Soi Cowboy is on and back out to Soi 23 and up sukhimvit on Friday, no bars open and no crowds anywhere.  Maybe I am living in an alternate universe Bangkok.

20210517_184042.jpg

20210514_183901.jpg

20210514_183558.jpg

Thanks for the updates and pictures Ryan.

Is the Skytrain still open as normal? Is it still busy? Are people still working from offices as normal? Would love to know out of interest.

General overview is fine. No verification links required ????????. Genuinely interested to know.

22 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Thanks for the updates and pictures Ryan.

Is the Skytrain still open as normal? Is it still busy? Are people still working from offices as normal? Would love to know out of interest.

General overview is fine. No verification links required ????????. Genuinely interested to know.

The BTS is still running. Only busy during the morning and evening but at reduced levels of passengers.  We jog on the Skywalk to stay out of any rain as well as running the stairs at the MRT stations and walk through the facility to the other side of the roads to get a short cooldown.  Stations seem pretty empty as well right now.  Last night I thought we were the only people out as we jogged on the Skywalk by central world and down ratchaprasong extension. Good time to be in Bangkok for us since parks are closed. No issues. Some offices are open but it appears most are still working from home, that's why fewer street vendors and such.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

There’s a growing trend in #Thailand of businesses offering something for free if you’re vaccinated. This one says Zen Group is “supporting Thai people who are getting vaccinated for the country” by offering this dish for free if they buy something else.

I’m sure there are many of us who would like to get vaccinated. Even pay for it. But the sad fact is many of us are being pushed to the back of the queue because of the #ThaisFirst policy. Surely the elderly and sick expats should be vaccinated before celebrities and politicians?

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1398916495917273092

I feel the targeting of the vaccinations, or lack of it, may be a big blunder.

the government seems to feel that vaccinations and specifically herd immunity is a silver bullet. It isn’t.

A key tenet of herd immunity is that all at risk people have been vaccinated. In that way, the 30% of the herd who are unvaccinated, comprise healthy young people without underlying conditions, very few of whom will suffer severe symptoms. So the herd can roam about with very few health issues, albeit that quite a high percentage of unvaccinated people may catch Covid.

eventually, vaccinations, plus healthy young people with Covid, causes the virus to struggle to find hosts from which to multiply.

at least, this is how I understand herd immunity to work.

Thailand is no longer targeting at risk people, if indeed they ever did for more than a week. In Bangkok they are advertising for people 18 to 59 to register, in Phuket anyone who is working.

even if the vaccination program reaches 70% (and that must be in serious doubt) then I’m not sure it will have achieved the objective of herd immunity. More likely about half the population will end up being vaccinated and a number of at risk people will end up needlessly dying.

Looking further out, The country will function, but with a higher Covid case load than need be and higher deaths than need be. But not to the extent that anyone will bother. It’s just one possible scenario anyway.

sorry to be somewhat pessimistic, but government policy seems to be veering away from those countries that have been having some success recently, by which I mainly mean the UK and USA. I know, I know, they completely messed up previously, but vaccinations they seem to have got to grips with.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The BTS is still running. Only busy during the morning and evening but at reduced levels of passengers.  We jog on the Skywalk to stay out if any rain as well as running the stairs at tge MRT stations and walk through the facility to the other side of the roads to get a short cooldown.  Stations seem pretty empty as well right now.  Last night I thought we were the only people out as we jogged on the Skywalk by central world and down ratchaprasong extension. Good time to be in Bangkok for us since parks are closed. No issues. Some offices are open but it appears most are still working from home, that's why fewer street vendors and such.

Thanks for this. I used to run at Lumpini every morning for years and I feel it’s a bit ridiculous that they have closed all of the parks now. Running in the streets there is such a hassle with the up and downs between curb and road.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I doubt that there's any good evidence re sanitation and gyms. That's because the risk of contracting covid from surfaces has been determined to be very low. Most contagion happens via the air.

Not true. It's both particulate and aerosol.

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I feel the targeting of the vaccinations, or lack of it, may be a big blunder.

the government seems to feel that vaccinations and specifically herd immunity is a silver bullet. It isn’t.

A key tenet of herd immunity is that all at risk people have been vaccinated. In that way, the 30% of the herd who are unvaccinated, comprise healthy young people without underlying conditions, very few of whom will suffer severe symptoms. So the herd can roam about with very few health issues, albeit that quite a high percentage of unvaccinated people may catch Covid.

eventually, vaccinations, plus healthy young people with Covid, causes the virus to struggle to find hosts from which to multiply.

at least, this is how I understand herd immunity to work.

Thailand is no longer targeting at risk people, if indeed they ever did for more than a week. In Bangkok they are advertising for people 18 to 59 to register, in Phuket anyone who is working.

even if the vaccination program reaches 70% (and that must be in serious doubt) then I’m not sure it will have achieved the objective of herd immunity. More likely about half the population will end up being vaccinated and a number of at risk people will end up needlessly dying.

Looking further out, The country will function, but with a higher Covid case load than need be and higher deaths than need be. But not to the extent that anyone will bother. It’s just one possible scenario anyway.

sorry to be somewhat pessimistic, but government policy seems to be veering away from those countries that have been having some success recently, by which I mainly mean the UK and USA. I know, I know, they completely messed up previously, but vaccinations they seem to have got to grips with.

and with a higher

Well, for one thing, 70% is no longer the target for herd immunity. As the virus has grown more infections, that number rises. 80% is the minimum level now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where in Bangkok is it packed as you say. Every morning and evening we are out. Unless it's during the morning time when people go to work and then the evening when they return. The streets for the most part have been empty, we can run on Rama 4 around the outside of Lumpini park, up ploenchit to Sukhumvit and back with very few people especially in the evenings between 6 and 8 when we go at night.  Last night a 2 hour jog up and around and even walking through Central World it was fairly deserted, even inside and we walked out at 8pm. True the gyms could be opened as well as the pools and parks.  Even ran down Soi Cowboy and back out to Soi 23 and up sukhimvit on Friday, no bars open and no crowds anywhere.  Maybe I am living in an alternate universe Bangkok.

20210517_184042.jpg

20210514_183901.jpg

20210514_183558.jpg

Sukhumvit. That’s where I wanted to live because it’s close to everything I want; modern shopping centers, BTS, food courts, and my Gym. Basically, I don’t own a car here and need everything I want to be within walking or mass transit distance, so I chose the Onnut area.. it’s busy and bustling but I don’t really need to go far for whatever I do, but if I want to go for a walk on the main drag it’s hell on earth, which is why I joined a gym.

Nice photos, by the way ????

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not true. It's both particulate and aerosol.

Particulate infection happens via the air too.  Via surfaces, not so much.

Science Brief: SARS-CoV-2 and Surface (Fomite) Transmission for Indoor Community Environments

The principal mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is through exposure to respiratory droplets carrying infectious virus. It is possible for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects (fomites), but the risk is generally considered to be low.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Thanks for this. I used to run at Lumpini every morning for years and I feel it’s a bit ridiculous that they have closed all of the parks now. Running in the streets there is such a hassle with the up and downs between curb and road.

Right now running the roads is OK, but not prior to this 3rd wave no way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

And that brings us to my original question. How are they treating patients currently? What treatment would you accept?

Good question and no easy answers as hospitals in Bangkok are treating it different than in the US or the UK and EU.  Your not treating Covid per say but the symptoms and issues that people have. Not all people have the same medical issues until it comes to the seriousness of intubating them..

Edited by ThailandRyan

17 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

You did read that NIAID (part of NIH), sent funding to Wuhan lab in 2014 for coronavirus research, because it was deemed too dangerous to continue in the states? Trust me. I've read all the studies I can find.????

Why should we have to trust you?

Surely you can send us a link to the source that claims funding was sent to the Wuhan lab because it was deemed too dangerous to continue in the states?"

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed approved, but are they ordered??? because I can approve everything but if I don't order it nothing will happen. and as far as we know only moderna will come at tge end of October.. and J and J??? Never heard of Pfizer not approved but should come in July 10-20 mill.. but never head of and Sinopharm approved but the company not allowed to import... So what is positive about approved???

Being ordered was not the statement  made, that I quoted and responded to.

It was approved......

37 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

And that brings us to my original question. How are they treating patients currently? What treatment would you accept?

They ordered another 2 million doses of Favipiravir anti-viral tablets in April so I think that is the main stay treatment. I read somewhere they also give plenty of Vit D supplements and no doubt a few other things.

• Like 1