Phuket foreigners to get leftover Sinovac

webfact

This xenophobic attitude to covid-19 is one of just two things that irritate me here: the standard of driving and the attitude to road deaths being the other.

Poor choice of words or not, we all read remnants, left overs, dregs, also rans.

Really poor way of talking.

I would like to bet that everyone on this thread can tell us about their Thai friends/relatives who live abroad and who have been given a covid-19 jab. No hint of sending them to the back of the queue. No hint that they might have to wait many months even though they are at risk now ...

My sister in law, living in Dubai, got her jab yesterday free of charge. She got it because it is her turn in terms of age and medical history. Nationality irrelevant. They say if you need it, you get it when you need it.

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

What does that mean? will it be vaccine that was left over in the vial after a local was vaccinated and perhaps they could scrape a dosage or two out of a few vials for foreigners? Or did they say that Thais will be vaccinated first and than foreigners? 

This is what I was thinking could "leftover" mean....!? I remember reading some health authorities defending using about 500 of 650 (can't remember units) viral for one jab, then every 4 viral gives an extra one shot (20% extra)...! But this maybe ok if used/done right away..., wouldn't it go off after a while if kept for later for poor farangs  ...!? ????

I don't have problem with any vaccine that is unexpired and well-kept and not gone off, but otherwise forget it..., remember almost 80% of people catching Covid will not get serious sickness, so this is just to better that stat and help the small minority with issues, all vaccines are okay to help the population as a whole when enough vaccinated...

But with Thai authorities and all their threatening and demeaning announcement against fatangs, who can trust them...!

A typically racist and xenophobic policy. Sinovac is the lowest quality (junk vaccine) one available. The only reason why Thailand bought it, was because it was the cheapest one on the market. Efficacy was never even a consideration with these non visionary cheakskates in charge. 

Now, they assume we would want it? Why would we want the bottom of the barrel, with only a 50% efficacy rate, if that?

I am going to wait for Pfizer, Moderna, or even J & J. None of the junk in my veins, please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BestB said:

There are many ways to deliver same message. 

I do not know if it’s reporters choice of words or actual words of authorities but it sounds as if feeding leftover food to a street dog.

final result is the same no matter what words one uses , but I wonder why send the message in this way, not in a more nicer, welcoming way

I thought exactly the same!  Maybe something lost in translation, I hope, otherwise its worded in a way to try to cause trouble.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Where are you reading about quality control issues with Sinovac?  Just curious....if you can share.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000110

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nine-student-nurses-suffer-side-effects-after-sinovac-vaccination/

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes, the Chinese jabs do seem to be a lot less effective with the new variants.  If you are in a high risk group, but to get the jabs now and get an mRNA booster in 6 months or so.  Right?

Surely, even if high risk, as foreigners can generally lay low a lot easier than Thais, it might be worth being extremely careful for a few moths and then getting the good stuff.

Most places say foreigners will be the last to get jabs so it might end up being only a couple of months difference.

We don't even know what happens if you mix vaccines or if there will be some sort of time or antigen limit, so it could be a big gamble on that "booster" that might not be allowed for a year.

If you ended up getting sinovac, weren't able to get a booster for a considerable amount of time, then succumbed to a variant, it would be a shame for the sake of waiting a few months.

And what if you have to wait a year to get a top-up with mRNA and within that year a variant comes into Thailand which sinovac barely protects you against?  You might end up in a vaccine imposed lock-down for a year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Pattara Thonburi Hospital, Pathumthani. Branch hospital for Thonburi Hospital.  You can register thru their link http://liff.line.me/1656011155-rN1eaRP5. Hope I got the link right but you can check their site. I have not being given a date yet but am registered and will be notified. 

That link doesn't work.  Try    -     https://liff.line.me/1656011155-rN1eaRP5  

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

The WHO approval just announced states that there is no upper age limit ???? 

The earlier Thai approval removed the over 60s limit once the PM had avoided Sinovac and got his Az.

Sinovac has proven to be reasonably safe and at least somewhat effective. Whilst not my vax of choice it's still far better than nothing!

The PM had originally wanted to take Sinovac but his doctor advised against it because of his age. At that time, there weren't much clinical trials on over 60 for Sinovac.

There are many articles in BangkokPost that will prove what I said .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are many articles in BangkokPost that will prove what I said .

I'm sure there are, but they can only repeat what was in the press releases.

Given the amount of variable and mis information that comes out of this government who really knows what actually transpired.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You should be careful with the wording. No vaccines have known side effects, they wouldn't get approved.

All vaccines may produce side effects in certain individuals, it is the individuals that have the side effects, not the vaccine.

The so called "blood clots" were a result a condition arising from a low platlet count. What will never be known is if the people concerned had a low platlet count before receiving the vaccine or not.

A similar reaction was found in the use of Heparin but it took 30 years to establish the cause.

And, agreeing with both your and @Jeffr2's comments, the reason vaccines usually take so long to approve is basically the time wasted on committees,  meetings, debates and other admin nonsense. The actual work of testing is in there somewhere, held back. Due to the urgency of this situation, much of that was sidestepped with Covid - proving it can be done. Hopefully this sets a benchmark for the future.

This is worth a watch, IMO BBC Panorama- The Race for a Vaccine

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  And it's called a side effect.  That is the fact.

Guys...you're both right-this is just semantics!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Just now, ragpicker said:

Try Google Translate.

Yes I use that a lot, but this link has many pages one after the other to "agree with" or fill in data. 

My Google Translate app installed on my phone does not "jump in" to try and translate these pages (as it sometimes does for other documents written in Thai)

Too much to cut and paste !

42 minutes ago, VBF said:

And, agreeing with both your and @Jeffr2's comments, the reason vaccines usually take so long to approve is basically the time wasted on committees,  meetings, debates and other admin nonsense. The actual work of testing is in there somewhere, held back. Due to the urgency of this situation, much of that was sidestepped with Covid - proving it can be done. Hopefully this sets a benchmark for the future.

This is worth a watch, IMO BBC Panorama- The Race for a Vaccine

One can only hope that the pandemic will shake the tree as far as bureaucracy is concerned. Many moons ago I sat on a BSI committee and it wasn't a joke when it was said it took 10 years to amend a BSI standard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BestB said:

There are many ways to deliver same message. 

I do not know if it’s reporters choice of words or actual words of authorities but it sounds as if feeding leftover food to a street dog.

final result is the same no matter what words one uses , but I wonder why send the message in this way, not in a more nicer, welcoming way

this was done intentionally by TV. It generates response - they have their dog whistle techniques honed to a fine art especially to all western racists that cock their ears for the sound of it. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, VBF said:

Guys...you're both right-this is just semantics!

No it is not, it is ill conceived perception mainly as a result of media sensationalism.

A hole in the arm is a side effect of the vaccine, not death.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I would imagine the quality of a product would be determined by the willingness of the top brass to take it - which they didn't !

There it is, TVF in a nutshell, the facts of the matter are irrelevant, all that counts is what some Thais do, or don't do, based on the whinge of the day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

All have been approved for "Emergency Use Only". No covid vaccine has been fully approved and won't be for the next 2 years.  This is while manufacturers provide regular updates to the FDA on the safety and effectiveness over this time.  These are all still in trial until they get full approval. 

The vaccines that have received Emergency Use Authorization are not still undergoing trials. Trial phases involve volunteers, split into control and placebo groups and have been completed.

There's no two-year waiting period. A link showing that Pfizer-BioNTech applied for full approval nearly a month ago was already posted. Here's one for Moderna:

Moderna Seeks Full FDA Approval for Its Covid-19 Vaccine

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Sad 1