Thailand announces new speed limits: Motorcycles will be limited to 60 kmph in Bangkok and Pattaya

webfact

39 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:
1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Outside city limits the limit will be 80 kmph for trucks

I can't see farmer Joe keeping to 80kph in his pickup

Which Farmer  Joe's? The ones that travel at  120  or the ones that travel at 45 and stick to the centre  line?

I thought his name was Somchai ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Which Farmer  Joe's? The ones that travel at  120  or the ones that travel at 45 and stick to the centre  line?

The ones that do both , at night, and without lights.

2 hours ago, Excel said:

And who exactly will be enforcing this ? The RTP  can noteven  enforce currently speed limits 

they cant even measure what speed you keep, but that doesnt stop them from giving speed tickets

2 hours ago, Excel said:

And who exactly will be enforcing this ? The RTP  can not even  enforce currently speed limits 

Just curious. Do you have a specific location where they don't?  

Teacher, teacher, I forgot my physics lessons. What's the brute force an object would experience when, say, a motorcyclist riding dutifully at 60kph gets hit by a car going at 120kph, a 100% increase or twice it's current momentum?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Thailand?

Hardly specific. As usual just BS. 

In fact many tickets are issued everyday on major arteries by Lidar operators. People who hang out on the eastern seaboard or who rarely venture out will not see this.

Edited by VocalNeal

17 minutes ago, leba said:

It should be 50 and anywhere !

As the rule is in civilized countries in cities/villages and even less in densely populated areas, small streets.

But I am too old to experience this in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand announces new speed limits: Motorcycles will be limited to 60 kmph in Bangkok and Pattaya.

No, they won't. All that will change is the law. Enforcement is just too much trouble and everybody knows it.

• Like 1

Next weeks news:-

"In an attempt to stem the tide of road deaths, the government has issued a new law that all motorized vehicles must be preceded by a warden carrying a red flag, at no more than walking pace."

images (4).jpeg

There is nothing new under the Sun.

Edited by Grusa
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Excel said:

And who exactly will be enforcing this ? The RTP  can noteven  enforce currently speed limits 

Since the Thai police abhor leaving their air conditioned offices, I strongly suspect that they are going to introduce speed cameras everywhere.  There are parts of America where that is already happening and the drivers are revolting!  Some have had half a dozen tickets arrive in the mail on the same day!  Speed limits are about revenue not safety!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Excel said:

In Pattaya they have installed quite a few  cameras on overhead gantry's  I assume ( ass of u and me ) they can measure speed..mind you even with a speeding ticket it doesn't seem to be tied into the tax/insurance system or penalty points on the drivers licence  just yet  so a majority just ignore the tickets ( only becomes a problem when trying to sell the vehicle sometimes depending on ? T.I.T) maybe they will get there eventually  then it will be as bad as "back home"

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Had mine up to Nippon Seiki on one occasion.

"Thai Nippon Seiki Co.,Ltd are located at Amata City Industrial Estate Chonburi, Thailand with 2 factories. "  ???

P_20190314_111103.thumb.jpg.cf58bb1fd620f6dbfc773910ab77dd44.jpg

2 minutes ago, johng said:

"Thai Nippon Seiki Co.,Ltd are located at Amata City Industrial Estate Chonburi, Thailand with 2 factories. "  ???

P_20190314_111103.thumb.jpg.cf58bb1fd620f6dbfc773910ab77dd44.jpg

555 But your example doesn't have Nippon Seiki written on it? That speedo is digital so would never display Nippon Seiki. 

So... enforcing a law where cars can travel 80kmh and on the same roads motorcycles can travel 60kmh... 

Thus always ensuring at least a 20kmh speed differential, more cars getting stuck behind motorcyclists, getting frustrated and trying to squeeze them off the road so they can pass.

This is dangerous a laws for motorcyclists. It’s a law I’ll definitely not be sticking and instead continue to travel with the flow of traffic. 

Thailands juvenile mindset and attempt to redesign the wheel an oversimplified and dumbed down way while side stepping the real issues once again highlights the absence of quality critical thought of those empowered with decision making positions.

7 hours ago, pattjock said:

This is the most stupid thing I have heard for a long time.

To have these vehicles driving at different speeds means constant over takings which are dangerous.

Most built up areas have fairly limited overtaking space so if you have a bus in front of you there will be no way to pass.

How will you know if you are in a built up area or within city limits, is Jomtien part of Pattaya or where are the limits. Will there be speed signs everywhere so everyone know what the speed limit is for the various vehichles at various locations?

Enforce the helmet law to start with and make sure everyone have a valid license.

That would be an excellent idea except for one small point - have either of these been responsible for a single accident?

Now, if the dangerous driving laws were the first to be enforced with extreme vigour, that might actually be helpful. Light jumpers, illegal u-turners, illegal/dangerous overtakers, wrong way traffic, overloaded vehicles etc etc.  All moving traffic offences, so far too hard to police....