Why can't the over 60's donate blood?

simon43

It could be this. One condition that the blood bank will refuse your blood is that if you had lived in the UK for 6 months or more during 1980-1996 or had been given blood in that time period. This is to prevent spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Here in north Laos, where I now live, the local hospital... have a cut-off age of 60 years old

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no valid reason for this. Just a Thai rule.

Thai rules in Laos.?

?

Maybe they saw too many Geritol commercials talking about "tired blood".

Anyone remember those?  If you're from the USA and over 60, you probably do.

Edit:  Not to mention the parody of the Geritol commercials in "Groove Tube".  My wife...  I think I'll keep her.

Edited by impulse

14 minutes ago, collingwood said:

After I turned 60, was told that all I needed was a doctors certificate and I could then continue to donate, In Ubon.

It depends on the local rules. My GF and a friend host a charity blood drive once a year and I went to donate and the Thai Red Cross doing the blood work told me I was clearly too old as a foreigner (and decrepit...like a broken down old car)....ok I added  that last part.

• Haha 1

There are just too many rules why your blood maybe no good. When I came back from Vietnam in 1969 I was station in California for 6 months. One day everyone was asked if they had a certain blood type which was rear ,which I had. So I let them take the maximum amount of my blood as someone needed it badly. So after taking my blood they started asking me questions like where was I stationed last. When I told them Vietnam, they asked me if I was taking the anti-Malaria pills which everyone did> Then they said my blood was no good. My question is if there were not enough donors would they have used my blood?  

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually there are a lot of Thais - more and more -- who remain healthy and active well past 60

Ha Ha. you should see some of the thirty or so year olds' in my village.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

I'm thinking that maybe a number of "healthy" 60-70 year old Thais are not actually healthy. Some of them never get a checkup.

As they never had free health care until recently that may be the reason they do not have check-ups but hardly a logical assumption to say that a number of 60-70 year olds are not healthy. There are I'm sure a number of all age groups that are not healthy. I am of the opinion that you go to see a doctor when you feel unwell, why go if you feel 100% ?  Let's face it there are  considerable number of 80+ in my area so the fact that they actually got to 80 should mean something. But of course giving blood is purely a personal choice anyway. 

Tony Hancock had his views on it also 

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

From what I read on Google, it is only first time donors that are over 60 that cannot donate blood.

I have no idea why, though, one article mentioned iron deficiency.

Could have something to do with "mad cow disease" from many years ago. Over 60's are the generation ( from memory during the late 80's to around 2001 ) that this impacted upon, and  this generation were not allowed to donate blood if they had travelled to any of the countries where the disease was discovered.  The disease could spread to humans through consumption of beef and dairy products. Maybe a carry over from then.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no valid reason for this. Just a Thai rule.  

Part of a general, non-scientific notion of being "careful". Over 60 is considered very old (itself a wrong idea) and therefore feeble etc.

A couple months ago I did read something (on TV) that they are going to change it to 65? Doesn't Simon lives in Laos? Donor up to 60 as well. He is British and if he lived in the UK during the mad cow disease in the eighties he will excluded as well. In my home country I would be excluded because I lived in THailand. 

1 hour ago, collingwood said:

After I turned 60, was told that all I needed was a doctors certificate and I could then continue to donate, In Ubon.

That's something I did hear as well. I'm excluded because I'm still on blood thinners  at the moment.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that the 'over 60' rule is flexible and varies by location.

I am O rh negative (universal donor) and I have been a regular blood donor since the age of 18.

I have given blood regularly here on Samui and I have even been called by the local hospitals when there is an emergency. (Plane crash, bad motorbike accident etc.) Lots of farang holiday makers until last year, but not too many donors. Hence the flexibility

At the age of 65 there were questions but they still took my blood. Sometimes taking photos for the 'Facebook' pages.

I made my last donation last February as I was 70 in April. They said then that it would be the last one.

I recommend everyone donates blood (if they can).

IT SAVES LIVES.

PS I hate that red drink that they give you afterwards. Very sweet.

I'm B+, relatively rare. In America blood banks would send an ambulance to my house to get my donation.

I'd give here but am not interested if they don't accept because of age.

Up to them.

16 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

I'm thinking that maybe a number of "healthy" 60-70 year old Thais are not actually healthy. Some of them never get a checkup.

haha,

getting the free checkup was the reason I became a donor in my student years. 

Actually, I found it a quite satisfying activity. More than once I was called to EMC in the middle of the night to donate, and knowing the guy on the operating table will survive because some people are donating blood feels good. ????

60 years is a useless limit, drilled into the local community’s mind.

maybe in 1900 it was a valid observation, before modern medicine.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

That's something I did hear as well. I'm excluded because I'm still on blood thinners  at the moment.

They stopped taking my blood in the UK 40 years ago when I was put on Atenolol, and now with an anticoagulant, a definite no no.

As an organiser of a couple of volunteer emergency rescue team and bush fire brigades in NSW, Australia who regularly donated blood at the local hospitals back in the 70's & 80's we were limited to donating at 3 month intervals and until the age of 60. The reason that we were given by the medical experts then was that it takes 3 months for the blood in the body to rejuvenate to the amount and strength that your own body needs and that once you reach the age of 60 it starts to take longer for your blood to build back up again. That is what I was told by the hospitals back then.