TAT Governor Yuthasak in Phuket, admits issues, confirms July 1 reopening

webfact

1622693069_1-org.jpg

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn speaks to the press after the meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (July 2). Screenshot: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn was in Phuket yesterday (July 2) to check the readiness of the province to launch the ‘Phuket Sandbox’ model for receiving vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine from July 1.

Speaking after heading a meeting at phuket Provincial Hall, Mr Yuthasak confirmed that the July 1 reopening to international tourists was going ahead, while admitting that many factors still need to be taken into account and remedied.

Mr Yuthasak said him joining the meeting yesterday was to prepare for joining a meeting of the Center for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) in Bangkok tomorrow(June 4), where many aspects of the Phuket Sandbox model will be discussed by the committee, chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tat-governor-yuthasak-in-phuket-admits-issues-confirms-july-1-reopening-80213.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-03

• Haha 1

Here we go again, 28 days to go for the much hailed and sung about grand opening of Thailand and "while admitting that many factors still need to be taken into account and remedied" as if we didn't see this coming...

• Like 1

from another thread,

The Phuket provincial government had discussions with the TAT Governor on the modalities of the Sandbox earlier this afternoon.  If all goes well - and the operative keyword here is "if" - this would be the estimated timeline:

Friday, 4 June - TAT submits the Sandbox to the Prime Minister-chaired Centre for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) for formal approval.  CESA has already given the Sandbox its "in-principle approval".

Early next week - CCSA would review the Sandbox and give its approval if satisfied.

2 to 3 days later - Announcement in the Royal Gazette

That said, there were a couple of disquieting but yet-to-be-confirmed developments that could temper travel demand.  They are:

i) A proposal by the Public Health Ministry to increase the mandatory stay in Phuket from 7 to 14 days.  This means that a vaccinated traveller in Phuket under the auspices of the Sandbox must stay in a SHA-certified hotel/resort in Phuket for a minimum of 14 days before they may travel to other parts of Thailand; and

ii) "Area Quarantine": instead of allowing vaccinated travellers the freedom to roam around Phuket as per the current plan, he could be confined to the area where he is staying.  For example, if he is staying in a hotel in Patong sub-district, he would have to remain in Patong sub-district for the duration of his stay.  If he wants to travel to other parts of Phuket, he may only do so via "sealed routes".

All this is still basically a work-in-progress.  The briefing was bereft of details.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn was in Phuket yesterday (July 2) to check the readiness of the province to launch the ‘Phuket Sandbox’ model for receiving vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine from July 1.

Welcome to your designated play area... enjoy.

sandpit-children-pop-art-vector-illustration-retro-sandbox-toys-plastic-bucket-shovel-rake-comic-book-style-imitation-96306349.jpg

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If you can't leave the island it is quarantine... Ok don't need to stay in hotel but you can't go anywhere else than the island...

Yes but it is better than having to stay in a hotel room particularly if it's for 14 days.

I'm not a tourist so for me it's just a better way of getting home after about 10 months. For tourists a lot will depend on what is open and what they would normally do I would think. I know some who just spend time on the beach and eating out. Admittedly a lot also rely heavily on drinking so that may not be so good.

A bigger issue in my mind is this.

many factors still need to be taken into account and remedied

Taken into account how exactly? If they need to be taken into account regarding the stating of the sandbox plan then that suggests that it's not that certain after all. What if they can't remedy these factors in time?

I'm ready to start planning but it makes things more complicated when there's this uncertainty.