Traffic fines: Here's what you must pay - including 500 baht for "undertaking"

webfact

In all reality though, having a license doesn't make you any better a driver, on the contrary, it could almost serve as a license to do whatever you please, in the upmost arrogant manner... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The Chinese tourists were famous for doing this in CM on bikes. They would even dead stop on the right to look at their phone.

Perhaps a gang of Indian tourists on foot in front of them. 

Edited by jacko45k

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Finally, they said that there was a 500 baht fine for overtaking on the left a practice known as undertaking. 

I'm guessing grossly overloaded 1 ton pu trucks blocking the passing lane and forcing others to undertake/ pass using the left lane is perfectly legal! TIT ???? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

What's  the fine for  sitting in the outside  land doing 80kph for  kilometere after kilometer especially fruit  growers and ARMY vehicles?

40 baht to be collected at police checkpoint in order to proceed. 

1 hour ago, smi11ie said:

Why do the government make these pointless updates?  Total waste of time.  200% sure nothing will change.  Thailand will still top Asia's road death charts for years to come.  

Why do we make these pointless points about their pointless updates?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Is that when a ghost is behind the wheel .. 

And they've missed out barrel rolling the motor and flattening power poles with it .. 

Cars hanging from electric wires. 

17 hours ago, Smithson said:

For the cases below, it shouldn't be just a fine, the rider/driver shouldn't be allowed to ride away.

unroadworthy vehicle 400 baht

Having no registration plate 500 baht

Contravening emissions regulations 1,000 baht

Having no licence to show 200 baht

If a vehicle ir unroadworthy or not registered or the driver/rider unlicensed it/they shouldn't be on the road full stop. The normal procedure in most countries is you have to collect it later. This is a real inconvenience often worse than the fine. It would be a better deterrent.

Easier said than done. The infrastructure you need would be considerable eg car pounds, recovery vehicles and staff to administer this nation wide. The Government is not going to invest any money in a system that does not bring in extra money from the public.

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's of course misleading, because undertaking is allowed if there is more than one lane.

It's only not allowed if it's a one lane road. (If the vehicle in front is signaling to do a right turn and it's possible to pass without driving over the hard should it's also allowed)

Not sure where you are from Jack . Against the highway code to overtake on the left lane .

You use the right lane to overtake and when possible return to the left side lane .

I think undertaking is one of the most dangerous things on the road here. I have had people undertake me even if i was a few feet from the kerb or signalling to turn left. But none of the fines listed will ever be applied.

Edited by Henryford

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook reported on a great swathe of 200-1000 baht fines that have been announced in the Government Gazette on behalf of the Royal Thai Police.

If they actually enforce all of the "actions" stated in the post that would make up for the loss of tourism every day.

18 hours ago, Smithson said:

For the cases below, it shouldn't be just a fine, the rider/driver shouldn't be allowed to ride away.

unroadworthy vehicle 400 baht

Having no registration plate 500 baht

Contravening emissions regulations 1,000 baht

Having no licence to show 200 baht

If a vehicle ir unroadworthy or not registered or the driver/rider unlicensed it/they shouldn't be on the road full stop. The normal procedure in most countries is you have to collect it later. This is a real inconvenience often worse than the fine. It would be a better deterrent.

They don't want a deterrent, they want cash.

15 hours ago, tracker1 said:

This Government Gazette must have a multitude of laws they think up but never enforce !

It's probably hard to remember them all.

These well educated BIB.

It's hard enough concentrating on the highest score the got on the mobile phone games they seem to play.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadMac said:

No Thai pays any of those fines that come in the mail.

I heard 8% success rate.  If there were an active police force almost all offences in the list above could be cured within a year.  Even slow-learning Thais would get the message if hit hard and often in the wallet.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Many drivers/riders are guilty of all those misdemeanors every single trip. 

It could be an expensive day out for some....if the police can be persuaded to actually do their job.

If the rules here for driving were applied and enforced the Thai government would be the world's  wealthiest in a very short time ????????

• Like 1

And people wonder why Thais are crappy selfish drivers. These fines are not deterrents at all. What a joke. Keep the fines low, means less revenue for police, who are forced to resort to bribe taking as a result. and in Thailand you can do whatever you want on the road . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But...  Can you imagine being stopped by a Policeman and being told you have a 400 baht fine for ’scary’ driving without being able to show you any proof ???  giving the corrupt police in Thailand that degree of power opens pandora’s box just a little wider.... 

My handbrake doesn't come off before my dash cam is up and running, a practice I adhere to rigidly: been here too long to play their games.