Thailand reports 2,671 new COVID-19 cases, 23 deaths

2021-05-31T080714Z_1_LYNXNPEH4U08O_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A woman from Klong Toey community receives coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine, in Bangkok, Thailand, May 4, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

Thailand on Sunday (June 6) reported 2,671 new COVID-19 cases and 23 deaths.

Of the new infections, 604 were found in prisons.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand since April 1 to 148,604 with 1,236 deaths.

The news comes as the Centre for the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Saturday confirmed up to 58 separate clusters in Bangkok, the majority being at markets and construction workers' camps, all of which have been put under maximum surveillance.

On Monday (June 7), Thailand will officially begin its mass vaccination program.

The government aims to vaccinate at least 70 percent of the population by the end of year. 

To date, just over 4 million vaccine doses have been administered to  people in Thailand, mainly to the elderly, those deemed most at risk, frontline healthcare workers and people working in the tourism industry.

Kiattaphum Wongrachit, permanent secretary of the health ministry, has given assurances that Thailand will have enough vaccinations for use throughout June.

On Friday, AstraZeneca said Thailand is on course with production of its locally made vaccine. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-06

According to this Infographic released by the PRD of the Thai government, 65% or 303,630 people on Phuket island have received their first shot of the vaccine and 21% or 98,869 people have received their second shot

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1401347950291259394

27 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

To date, just over 4 million vaccine doses have been administered to  people in Thailand, mainly to the elderly, those deemed most at risk, frontline healthcare workers and people working in the tourism industry.

Personally, I don't believe it, but that's just my personal opinion, especially when they say mainly the elderly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What now worries me is that some countries are not faring well in spite of high vaccination rates. Those countries are the Seychelles, the UAEs, Uruguay, Chile. Some say this is because those countries relied mostly on Chinese vaccines, but is it?

"To date, just over 4 million vaccine doses have been administered to  people in Thailand, mainly to the elderly, those deemed most at risk, frontline healthcare workers and people working in the tourism industry."

According to the FT, only 1.6% of people in Thailand (about 1.1m) are fully vaccinated....

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/?areas=gbr&areas=isr&areas=usa&areas=eue&cumulative=1&doses=total&populationAdjusted=1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

What now worries me is that some countries are not faring well in spite of high vaccination rates. Those countries are the Seychelles, the UAEs, Uruguay, Chile. Some say this is because those countries relied mostly on Chinese vaccines, but is it?

It's a combination of factors, I think.

Chinese vaccines are less effective. Some of this effectiveness is simply because of the type of traditional technology they are using.

Another factor will be that people are fairly stupid and don't seem to understand science at all. Being vaccinated is not a free ticket to not wear masks and practice social distancing and the enhanced measures, not for now. A vaccinated person is still very capable of becoming infected with old and new strains and can pass the virus onto others.

Until this virus is eradicated entirely (like Polio), we will be at risk. 

Thanks, China

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Who would have thought.......

Nearest to the pin for tomorrow.

My guess 2,829 which includes 601 in prisons.

Whoops change the prison #. Too similar to today's #. Change to 751.

We should have a daily sweepstake. Closest to the figure gets the honour and the glory.

I'll say 2,741 cases tomorrow and 25 deaths.

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

Chonburi beaches very busy  yesterday, great  to see a bit of normality coming back ????

Like to point out that Thailand has had something like 15 months of 'normality' Thai tourism and no foreign tourists  and that is exactly what is killing Chonburi not making it come back !

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has launched the "555 Mahapro" promotional event via the website: www.เที่ยวไทยอะเมสซิ่งยิ่งกว่าเดิม.com in a bid to stimulate domestic tourism during the post-covid era

The promotions can be availed until noon, June 10.

Many entrepreneurs in the tourism industry, who have passed the Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration standards are offering discounts on accommodation, food, tour packages and transportation with starting price at THB55.

For example, THB55 standard rooms at hotels under Red Planet, THB555 buffet on Chao Phraya Princess cruise, 50 per cent discount on Thai Lion Air flights and one free seat after booking one interprovincial bus seat with Nakhonchai Air.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001723

34 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Like to point out that Thailand has had something like 15 months of 'normality' Thai tourism and no foreign tourists  and that is exactly what is killing Chonburi not making it come back !

Beaches have  been  closed for the past  2 months, now they have  reopened, like I said  a little bit of normality coming back, plenty of people back enjoying themselves,locals out selling food making  a little bit of money for themselves.. 

Research on mixed use of Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines to be conducted at Chulalongkorn University

The Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology of Chulalongkorn University’ Faculty of Medicine is to launch a research on the mixed use of Sinovac and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines, to be followed by human trials.

Head of the centre, Dr. Yong Poovorawan, said in his Facebook post today (Sunday) that the centre will present the research project today and seek funding from the National Research Office, adding that the research will be very useful in case a person develops undesirable side effects after receiving one type of vaccine and wants a second dose of a different type, or in case there is a shortage of one particular type.

He said that it has been reported that immune response has increased in several people, who developed side effects after receiving the first dose of Sinovac and were given the second dose of AstraZeneca (AZ).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/research-on-mixed-use-of-sinovac-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-to-be-conducted-at-chulalongkorn-university/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Research on mixed use of Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines to be conducted at Chulalongkorn University

The Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology of Chulalongkorn University’ Faculty of Medicine is to launch a research on the mixed use of Sinovac and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines, to be followed by human trials.

Head of the centre, Dr. Yong Poovorawan, said in his Facebook post today (Sunday) that the centre will present the research project today and seek funding from the National Research Office, adding that the research will be very useful in case a person develops undesirable side effects after receiving one type of vaccine and wants a second dose of a different type, or in case there is a shortage of one particular type.

He said that it has been reported that immune response has increased in several people, who developed side effects after receiving the first dose of Sinovac and were given the second dose of AstraZeneca (AZ).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/research-on-mixed-use-of-sinovac-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-to-be-conducted-at-chulalongkorn-university

Oh no. The cynical in me won’t stop thinking that this is so that they can do a sinovac top up, to make up for the fact that there isn’t enough AZ being delivered for both doses.

talk me round someone, quick!

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Personally, I don't believe it, but that's just my personal opinion, especially when they say mainly the elderly.

Politicians and their cronies were ahead of all.....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, anchadian said:

As of Sunday, 1,209 (+14) patients are in critical condition, with 361 (-15) of them relying on ventilator. About 2.03 percent of the population is fully vaccinated, with 2,845,287 (+26,611) people received the first dose, while 1,345,216 (+20,948) received the second dose.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1401415629857603585

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has launched the "555 Mahapro" promotional event via the website: www.เที่ยวไทยอะเมสซิ่งยิ่งกว่าเดิม.com in a bid to stimulate domestic tourism during the post-covid era

The promotions can be availed until noon, June 10.

Many entrepreneurs in the tourism industry, who have passed the Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration standards are offering discounts on accommodation, food, tour packages and transportation with starting price at THB55.

For example, THB55 standard rooms at hotels under Red Planet, THB555 buffet on Chao Phraya Princess cruise, 50 per cent discount on Thai Lion Air flights and one free seat after booking one interprovincial bus seat with Nakhonchai Air.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001723

Not a lot of use if I can’t get back into Phuket without having being vaccinated (which I haven’t grrrr), or an expensive test for everyone in the family.