Last Night House was full of Flies.

Last night my house got full of flies, all the rooms, everywhere, one even landed in my icecream. Never seen anything like it in the 15 years I have been here.

My wife was out at the time, when she came home, I told her about it, most were away by that time. she said it was normal, after or before the rain.

But this has never happened before now, why did it take 15 years if, as the wife said, it was normal? Anyone else had this experience?

Indeed it sounds are if termites as flies would not disappear - termites loose wings and invade house.  But would have expected you to have seen them before - they are attracted to lights and come in the thousands when they swarm.   But within hours most have lost wings and all seems clear.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonray said:

are you confusing flies with flying ants/termites ? They typically swarm after a summer rain in many places...and they can crawl in the smallest spaces. You should see their wings all over the floor near cracks...they live and die quickly after they swarm

I think you may be right there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Were they the very small flying ants which come sometime during the rice growing cycle  or the mayfly type which come after rain and who's wings fall off? 

Yes I think so, but as I said, this has not happened in the 15 years I have lived here. I would like to hear if any other poster has experienced this.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I think so, but as I said, this has not happened in the 15 years I have lived here. I would like to hear if any other poster has experienced this.

It happened to us once years ago. We had a termite problem in the house and one night they emerged in winged form from the woodwork and swarmed inside the house. Kitchen, living room full of them but easy to sweep them all up afterwards though. I don't know the behaviour of these things but it seemed like it was mass migration because it was the end of the termite problem in our woodwork. I'd never seen anything like it either.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Every window in the house was closed, they always are at night.

Not had them in the house ( flying and crawling things are banned form my inside property, on pain of instant death), but I have come out after some rain to find the pool cram full of small flying things.  It only seems to happen maybe once or twice per year, then nothing. I would think that its nothing to really worry about and will not happen again for a long time. Nothing much you can do about it anyway.  Just as an aside, our doors and windows never get opened, except to enter and leave the house of course, otherwise its as tight as a drum and generally free of insects of all kinds, thank goodness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thais don't seem to realize the importance of screens to keep out flies and mosquitoes so many houses don't have any at all on the windows and doors.

With sliding windows and doors Thais put screens on the inside of the windows and doors, presumably because they don't care if bugs come in between the time they open a window or door and the time they slide the screen across the wide open window or door. 

Put screens on the OUTSIDE of every window and door.  This way you can open or close the windows or doors without letting in bugs.  Your wife and the workers who install the screens will think you are just another stupid farang but you will know that you have had the screens installed correctly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Thais don't seem to realize the importance of screens to keep out flies and mosquitoes so many houses don't have any at all on the windows and doors.

With sliding windows and doors Thais put screens on the inside of the windows and doors, presumably because they don't care if bugs come in between the time they open a window or door and the time they slide the screen across the wide open window or door. 

Put screens on the OUTSIDE of every window and door.  This way you can open or close the windows or doors without letting in bugs.  Your wife and the workers who install the screens will think you are just another stupid farang but you will know that you have had the screens installed correctly.

And if your windows open outwards........?

• Like 1

Flying ants, usually after a dry period then immediately after rain. Happens here several times a year.

We turn the lights on along the back fence & chookhouse about 20m from the house ... Next morning just a few inside the house to sweep up.

• Like 1

Mating time for ants and yes my wife also says it is common in Thailand

Switch out all lights , weird, but they come in by roof. Already experienced it.

15 years you dint had problem and now you do, climate change? The ants discovered new area?

You can sweep them all together, boil, fry and eat them, proteïne, if you want.

7 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Where are the spiders and geckos when ya really need them?

They can't cope. Turn your indoor lights off and turn outside lights on. Open you door/windows and they will go out for the light.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I do have screens on all the windows, but as you say, not on the outside.

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Were they the very small flying ants which come sometime during the rice growing cycle  or the mayfly type which come after rain and who's wings fall off? 

I get the mayfly type after a thunder shower and it's been very hot, the ones with the larger wigs which seem to fall off and lay around the place, 

• Like 1

When the ants swarm, at night after rains. I turn out all the lights until they go elsewhere. I tried using insecticide spray but turning off the lights was more effective and healthier. All the drawers in my bungalow had nests of ants which was a pain in the butt to clean up. I'm paranoid now thinking that these swarms are ants looking for places to set up a nest. 

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I get the mayfly type after a thunder shower and it's been very hot, the ones with the larger wigs which seem to fall off and lay around the place, 

They must be the ones in the legal business.

• Like 1

Happened to me once.  A fly found a wet patch under a dog food bin and laid a batch of eggs that all became flies at the same time at night when all the doors were closed so when I woke up the house had at least 50 of them flying around.  They like garbage and moisture  combined so try to avoid that indoors.