Converting drivers license to Thai license

Has anyone recently converted their driving license to a Thai license?

I have my English driving license and I need a Thai car driving license.  I want to buy a car that I will need to get to my new job here in Bangkok.  I would probably go to the Mo Chit location to make it (closest to home). 

Can I do it myself?  Do I need an appointment?  I don't mind using an agent to help.

I heard they are not letting foreigners do this?  I am not sure how I can get to my work.  Taking taxis everyday will get expensive and public transportation is not reliable in my area.

Thanks and sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

MOVED to Motoring.

You will still need to be tested ! If it can actually be called a test.Locations and requirements vary.

Thank you.  I don't mind being tested or anything else they require.  I am wondering how to get an appointment or if I need an agent to do so.  It would be at the DLT in Chatuchak near Mo Chit.

8 minutes ago, DaLa said:

You don't convert a UK license to a Thai license.

You have to visit your local Thai driving test centre where you will have to take a test. Beware the test is rigorous and comprehensive; way more challenging than the UK driving test.

After 10 minutes you will be presented with a 2 year licence. No appointment and no agent.

No appointment needed!  Good news.  I was worried about getting a residency certificate valid for only 30 days and not being able to get into the DLT.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

I have my English driving license and I need a Thai car driving license.  I want to buy a car that I will need to get to my new job here in Bangkok.  I would probably go to the Mo Chit location to make it (closest to home). 

Can I do it myself?  Do I need an appointment?  I don't mind using an agent to help.

I heard they are not letting foreigners do this?  I am not sure how I can get to my work. 

Ask at Mo Chit, if they're processing foreigners, no problem, present your residence certificate, medical certificate and UK licence and you're sorted.

If they say they can't at the moment, try these, I've used them twice...

https://www.facebook.com/Fatboyservices

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

No appointment needed!  Good news.  I was worried about getting a residency certificate valid for only 30 days and not being able to get into the DLT.

I think you will find an appointment is most likely required at the moment, most DLTs have a backlog of people waiting to apply/renew etc.

Unless someone went to your DLT yesterday, they cant really advise no appointment necessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soitgoes769 said:

Thank you.  I don't mind being tested or anything else they require.  I am wondering how to get an appointment or if I need an agent to do so.  It would be at the DLT in Chatuchak near Mo Chit.

Go there to the DLT and get it done man for flig sake they won't eat you. 

• Like 2

Normally you need your home country DL, and eventually an International Drivers Permit; a proof of residence, which can be a letter from your local immigration office (might cost a fee of 500 baht), or your work permit; and a health certificate for DL (which might need to be from a hospital, rather than from a clinic).

These are the documents needed at my local Land Transport Office, might not be the same, where you're applying...

w20190909_111436_DLT-DL-list.jpg.f44004c

And this is an example of the medical certificate...

medical-certificates.jpg.e765ea617e0016c

At the local Land Transport Office you might need to pass a test for colors; and a reaction time test, i.e. brake test; and peripheral vision test; and depth-perception, i.e. three dimensional vision test.

You might need to watch a 30 minutes to one hour long video about driving behavior.

Check what days of the week the Land Transport Office do the tests, some do them every day, and what time you need to show up. Some offices are quite strict about dress code, so shorts and t-shirt might not be accepted...

P_20180824_102907.thumb.jpg.056301f29525

Your will get a two-years (temporary) DL first time, after two years you can get a DL valid for five years...

The DLT offices in the Dark Red Zone areas are not processing licences or renewals for foreigners until 30 June.  I went in last week to renew my licence from a 2yr to a 5yr and at the moment appointments are only for Thais.  So many of us will have to wait it out.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, its usually a pretty straight forward procedure at most DLT offices, present your home country license, usually need a resident cert from immigration and a medical cert, Complete an eyesight/reflex test , and get a Thai license.

That is exactly what I did a few years ago. They also gave me a motorcycle licence - I didn't ask for one but my UK licence has a little picture of a motorbike on the back - it counts as a provisional licence (learner) for a motorcycle - and so they just gave me one. I tried to explain but they just shrugged and waved me away!

When I converted the 2 year initial licence to a 5 year one I had to redo the light test. I am borderline colourblind in my left eye (the whole left eye is pretty knackered), the lady operating the machine flashed up some lights on the periphery, I said "blue", she said "silly man, it is green"", smacked me lightly on the back of the head with a plastic ruler and signed me off!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suggest you visit the place where you want to make your driving license in person and check for the details.

Years ago I checked only what I needed. I had my driving license translated and the translation certified by the embassy. And I had a couple of pictures with me.

At the end I didn't need those expensive translations. They looked only at my long time expired international driving license. I also didn't need a picture. They used a camera over there.

So I wasted lots of time an money for preparations which I didn't need.

Better ask in person and don't trust whatever you find on the internet. And obviously what they do in one place doesn't have to be the same procedure in the next place, or a year later, etc..

On 6/10/2021 at 9:07 AM, soitgoes769 said:

Taking taxis everyday will get expensive

Use BOLT, it's an APP. 

I avoid taxi's, they won't use their meter, it just becomes too frustrating. 

I was up in BKK last month and I was using Bolt, you are given the fare when you order your taxi, so you know exactly what the price is. 

17 hours ago, YayaManos said:

I would suggest someone, with experience to do it for you, unless you speak & write Thai? There are few companies offering this service.

He only needs to take the reaction, and eyesight tests, also maybe sit and watch a grainy old vid for an hour.

I've done that last year. Basically I had International Driver's license issued (basically translation that included Thai, of the original license). Went to Department of Land Transportation and made appointment.

On appointment date I came with originals and copies of all my documents (in my case it's PR, so I had to make copies of every page with anything on of PR booklet, Police book, and Pink ID, as well as copies of my original driver's license and international driver's license translation). Medical certificate had to be original only and not over 30 days old. I've done mine at Phayathai hospital, which was a little over the top. I'd say it's likely better to get it at hospital than clinic, though.

Process: at queue counter, documents were checked, then a queue number was issued along with a form to fill out. After called, at the counter the officer filled out some additional forms, and bind them with the rest of documents, then sent me to "examination room". There, 3 things were tested: reflex (there was green light switching to red light and you needed to move from left to right pedal within 0.x seconds), distance sensing (from about 5m you had to adjust position of a stick so that it was same distance as the fixed one next to it), colour test, where you had to shout out what colour you saw, while officer was flipping the switches and sending colours in random order in random positions of traffic lights). After this was completed, off to another queue, where photos were taken and a 2 year temporary license was issued. After 2 years it can be renewed for a 5 year license.

This was at Bang Chak, I think it's called. South Sukhumvit.

Note, if you go there, you may wish to bring a Thai speaker with you should you not speak Thai yourself. There's literally nobody speaking any English there.

Edited by tomazbodner

I did mine in May  

1 get a resident certificatie from Immigration Office  

2 go to tax office driving license 

3 mkke test  i was there 10 minuits dit colour test  and break reaction test .

4 wait they give you your license 

5 if you have moterbike on your uk license they will give you 2 licences  both need paid for  

what catogery  on your license will be put on to the thai license  valid 2 years and is temporary license .

was very easy  but i live in the north small place Phrae 

To be exact there is no "conversion" of foreign driving or riding license to a Thai license.

You have to apply for a Thai license if you live in Thailand. Just because you have a foreign license does not automatically qualify you. to be given a Thai license ... I cast no aspersions on other nations driving but some countries licenses aren't 'appreciated' shall we say by Thai registry. I which case you might be required to go and sit in some class situation and be schooled for about half a day (I think it is?).

Likewise if you are very young and hold a provisional license from your home country you might be sent to class.

I've never heard of anyone who's been made to do a driving competency test who was able bodied, and held a full license from the countries I mention below.

I believe before 60 days of continuous residency - the legal time limit to use a foreign or international drivers license in Thailand - (other knowing folks can confirm or correct this if I'm wrong), after which if you're driving illegally and if you get stopped, or God forbid have a prang ... you're in deep doo doo.

If you have what Thailand considers a 'decent' license as the Thais see it e.g's. English, Australian, or American then its a simple matter of umpten copies of this n that to get one approved and issued.

I got mine in December 2019 when I emigrated on an Elite retirement visa at the Phuket registry in Phuket Town 

I took the advice of those before me and found out exactly what was needed beforehand by making a pleasant early morning ride there and asking politely what was needed.

They took a quick look at my license and my age, advised me; 'no problem easy, easy (big smile).

I came back with copies (if you're copier poor you can get all your copies done by the sweet lady and her adorable little child right next to the offices) - passport, retirement visa pages, home country license, immigration TM card, lease agreement for the then place I resided at, and a few other simple things (I'm getting old lol ???? so I forget what else (but nothing was difficult to supply them with), oh ! ... a doctors certificate to say I was alive lol ????.

I went very early like 7:30 am mid week as advised by other wise 'yoda' falangs . I bought myself a nice coffee at the canteen just behind the licensing building went and got my number, was called in about 5 minutes, handed over papers, paid a tiny sum, sat back down, waited about 10 min's, called, did a reflex text which I was so fast at they made me do it about 5 times because they were freaking out that I could hit the brake pedal by the time 1.5 to 2 bars lit up lol ????  (thanks to a lifetime of boxing n muay Thai I still got good reflexes ????) I sat again, did eye test cause I wear multi-focus glasses all the time, sat again, within 20m minutes I had a nice shiny Thai drivers and riders license.

Obtained my thai 2 year licence earlier this month upcountry. 

Immigration wouldn't issue a residence cert unless until I did my 1st 90 day report and had a request from DLT.

DLT looked at my licence and IDP then issued a letter requesting residence cert from immigration. Took 20 minutes.

With DLT request Immigration issued a residence cert free. Took 30 minutes.

Doctors cert took 10 minutes and cost 100 baht.

Made copies of passport, licence, IDP and took them along with residence cert and Drs cert to DLT.

Only required to do colour, reaction and 2 white sticks depth perception test.

Back to counter and paid 215 baht. Photo taken and licence issued. Time at DLT about 45 minutes.

Edited by Farma
add info

On 6/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, YayaManos said:

I would suggest someone, with experience to do it for you, unless you speak & write Thai? There are few companies offering this service.

I use DLT Morchit and they speak resonable English and know what to do. Not really much need to talk anyway as they'll know what to do. Just present the documents listed above and they'll do the rest telling you which dept/floor to go to. They are quite helpful. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/14/2021 at 3:42 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Use BOLT, it's an APP. 

I avoid taxi's, they won't use their meter, it just becomes too frustrating. 

I was up in BKK last month and I was using Bolt, you are given the fare when you order your taxi, so you know exactly what the price is. 

Better still, stay at Boutique hotel. 

Its just around the corner. 

While you're there head over to chututcha Market lots of stuff for sale. 

Also the parks have reopened, beautiful parkland just a short walk. 

BTW, the hotel is amazing, they had a 2 nights for 1 deal last month. Check out the guitar collection on the 2nd floor, the owner must be a musician.

The artwork in each of the rooms is outstanding. 

Boutique poo yai Lee hotel

You will be impressed. 

10 out of 10

6 hours ago, davidhen said:

covid-en-1

This banner from their website is terribly outdated.

There had been suspension of ALL services for some time in 2020.

But now services are limited but not suspended completely.

Thai people can easily extend their licenses e.g.

I am not up-to-date about the current procedures for foreigners but from posts (also here) extension/conversion seems possible.

Khunbenq,

Thanks for the above. Indeed, when I was turned away from the DLT office last month, there were queues of people being dealt with for certain services, but I was turned away and told to make an appointment AFTER 30th June. 

If I haven't already stated, I am in possession of a full UK DL, and wish to obtain the Thai equivalent. I (think) that I know what documents and copies I require, but I don't want to trek all the way over to the DLT (the one near to Regent's school) only to be turned away again, because of Covid.

I would be interested to learn of any other UK license-holder who has been to the aforementioned office recently, and who has had any success -- or otherwise.

Thanks,

David.