Thai PM urges all to do their utmost to make reopening of Thailand possible in October

webfact

24 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

I would be more than happy to do my part and receive my two jabs of AZ as I am over 60, but every mass vaccination site in Bangkok seems to be for "Thai ONLY". Being for one and not the other is "SEGREGATION" and "SEGRIGATION IS RACISM"!!!

The website for foreigners never worked correctly and it's down...

I agree with you. However, I suppose you are here in Thailand voluntarily????????

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

after at least 50 million Thais have received their first vaccine dose.

and WHEN would that be, how can it be done without available vaccines....stop the BS words, actions speak louder, show us that we are wrong

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, samtam said:

The quarantine in hotels is a racket, and a huge money spinner for the "good" people.

I don't buy that.  The hotels would make far more money with their hotel rooms filled with many tourists versus the minimal amount that opt to accept the quarantine.  

If it is brown envelope money I would think the hotels would be more than willing to opt for a few baht to have their hotel filled with tourists versus whatever is being done now with quarantine stays. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Manufacturing locally, buying up and importing internationally, allowing Private Hospitals to source their own, all these should have worked BUT they are a year too late! The UK run by a buffoon is just about coping with the mutations but only because they started a year ago! Thais are not to blame! As usual they have done what the Government says as they have no choice and they have been badly let down. Doesn't our dear Leader aspire to do better than a UK Clown?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, 91.4% of respondents to an opinion poll, conducted by Super Poll, said they agree with the government’s plan to reopen Thailand, in parallel with proper disease controls, after at least 50 million Thais have received their first vaccine dose.

somebody doesn't agree with them and I would trust the doctor more than the fake/misleading government polls

, pointing out that vaccination of 50 million Thais, to begin development of herd immunity, should not be the only consideration behind such a decision.

10 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I pray this will happen chiefly for the Thai people but we all know it won't. This Government couldn't arrange a <deleted>-up in a brewery.

If on the outside chance they get their act together, I'm pretty sure they would put too many restrictions in place for anyone wanting to come.

That's exactly what they will do, ie insurance scams, over priced testing etc, anything that will line certain pockets including their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I would contend that it serves many useful purposes and that the state of the economy is of secondary concern.

Now that makes sense.  Like most things in government what they say they are advocating is contrary to their actions. 

The alcohol ban is clearly just prejudicial.  There is no valid reason that a person can sit in a restaurant with a mask off and drink a bottle of water and not a bottle of beer and say the latter is to control the spread of Covid. 

As to killing the bar and sex trade because it follows their conservative beliefs.  OK but you don't throw out your old shoes before you buy a pair to replace them.   At the very least the Thai government should be embarking on new initiatives to broaden and diversify its economy.  Destroying what is already here only puts more people destitute and changes the venue for the sex trade as people who once used the bars go elsewhere to ply their trade given they have no other economic alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Citation needed. Preferably peer reviewed.

On another Covid-related thread yesterday, we had another of TV's Covid mental giants falsely claiming Sinopharm's first-shot efficacy was only 5%.

Plenty of evidence that shows Sinovac's first dose provides minimal protection against the normal Covid strain, its never been tested against Delta, logic says that it will perform less against that. On second dose it does get better on the ancestral but again its never been tested on Delta

Yes, I have probably read the same "plenty of evidence" as yourself and none of them, not one states a 5% efficacy. Not even close.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, I have probably read the same "plenty of evidence" as yourself and none of them, not one states a 5% efficacy. Not even close.

Well the Chilean University study said only 3% after one dose:

"A study of the Sinovac rollout by the University of Chile reported that the vaccine was 56.5% effective two weeks after second doses were administered in the country. However, they also reported that one dose was just 3% effective (rising to 27.7% within two weeks of the second dose, and 56.5% two weeks later)."

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n969

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes the masks aerosolise the moisture  where as no masks means the larger droplets will fall to the ground much sooner.So take your pick.In Australia the virus is floating from quarantine hotel room to room infecting people a lot further away than 2 meters, how do you account for this?

CDC says face masks reduce transmission of the virus. Do you disagree? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"A study of the Sinovac rollout by the University of Chile reported that the vaccine was 56.5% effective two weeks after second doses were administered in the country. However, they also reported that one dose was just 3% effective (rising to 27.7% within two weeks of the second dose, and 56.5% two weeks later)."

That's one study. 

I hope you have learned from this epidemic never to rely on one study. What is the scientific consensus? 

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

That's one study. 

I hope you have learned from this epidemic never to rely on one study. What is the scientific consensus? 

What are you talking about, this is regards to the first dose with Sinovac, there are not many studies out there for Sinovac, another states 16% after first dose, however this is all with the normal covid variant and not the Alpha or Delta, they will logically reduce this further.,

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

Have you actually read this article?

The whole mask wearing advice fiasco is based on a study of two hair stylists in Missouri in May 2020 .

The article you have linked to is recent and still after more than a year the CDC is dragging up the very same study as proof of effectiveness of mask wearing. That's the best they can come up with! What a joke.

From the article:

"The results of the Missouri case study provide further evidence on the benefits of wearing a cloth face covering. The investigation focused on two hair stylists — infected with and having symptoms of COVID-19 — whose salon policy followed a local ordinance requiring cloth face coverings for all employees and patrons. The investigators found that none of the stylists’ 139 clients or secondary contacts became ill, and all 67 clients who volunteered to be tested showed no sign of infection.

COVID-19 prevention in a Missouri hair salon

When two stylists at a Missouri hair salon tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19, researchers from CoxHealth hospitals, Washington University, the University of Kansas, and the Springfield-Greene County Health Department worked together to trace contacts, investigate the cases, and publish their findings in the MMWR.

One of the stylists developed respiratory symptoms but continued to see clients for eight days. The other, who apparently became infected from her co-worker, also developed respiratory symptoms and continued to see clients for four days.

The salon in which they worked had a policy requiring both stylists and their clients to wear face coverings, consistent with the local government ordinance. Both stylists wore double-layered cloth face coverings or surgical masks when seeing clients. The median appointment time was 15 minutes and ranged from 15 to 45 minutes. More than 98% of clients wore a face covering—47% wore cloth face coverings, 46% wore surgical masks, and about 5% wore N-95 respirators.

When customers were asked whether they had been ill with any respiratory symptoms in the 90 days preceding their appointment, 87 (84%) reported that they had not. None of the interviewed customers developed symptoms of illness. Among 67 (48%) customers who volunteered to be tested, all 67 tested negative for the virus that causes COVID-19. Several family members of one of the stylist’s subsequently developed symptoms and received a diagnosis of COVID-19."

You can just imagine the reaction from Tedros, Fauci and CDC colleagues at the time. Something like "Let's pretend new evidence for effectiveness is overwhelming here. Let's ignore decades of peer reviewed research and our own previous recommendations and let's get the whole world to wear masks immediately!"

I'm sorry, but I will take CDC guidance over yours. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What are you talking about, this is regards to the first dose with Sinovac, there are not many studies out there for Sinovac, another states 16% after first dose, however this is all with the normal covid variant and not the Alpha or Delta, they will logically reduce this further.,

Here's another study

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

This "clear" policy goal, combined with his abject failure to run an effective vaccination programme, is likely to result in Mr. Prayut standing in the dock at the ICC in The Hague, accused of genocide against his own people as well as the many foreigners living and working in the country. Life behind bars, Mr. P., how does that sound?

If that's the plot of some novel you're subconsciously writing, I reckon Private Dancer is still going to be better and more believable.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Let's try this again. 

Here is another study concerning efficacy of Sinovac

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Seems like the government is guilty of Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.  That is where a care giver harms someone under their care and then rushes in save them. 

Sorry but when you have to explain it instead of just letting the idle TV hands Google it themselves, the 'punch' of the subsequent argument is somewhat diminished.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

This "clear" policy goal, combined with his abject failure to run an effective vaccination programme, is likely to result in Mr. Prayut standing in the dock at the ICC in The Hague, accused of genocide against his own people as well as the many foreigners living and working in the country. Life behind bars, Mr. P., how does that sound?

That happening would be no more than what he deserves, and that would be for bullying his way in to government against the wishes of the Thai people on it's own, along with his soldiers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes private hospitals have said they have been stopped at every chance to get vaccines by the government.

Now a convicted heroin dealer has been appointed the second highest position in the government. 

Mind boggling?

"Yes private hospitals have said they have been stopped at every chance to get vaccines by the government".

Maybe if they started sending brown envelopes in a certain direction.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

CDC says face masks reduce transmission of the virus. Do you disagree? 

Here is a publication which sites the CDC's public health information.Nowhere does it say mask's definitely reduce transmission but they do say masks "may" reduce  transmission but they do say that "medical masks were ineffective and cloth masks even less effective." in health care settings.I can find no evidence where the CDC says that masks reduce transmission.I only find evidence they think it might be beneficial but nothing that is conclusive.If you can show me some evidence that the CDC says that mask definitely do reduce transmission the I would like to see it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32512240/

• Like 1

And this "top story" is running side by side with a post from a senior doctor at the Internal Medicine Department of the Faculty of Medicine at Mahidol University, urging caution about reopening Thailand too early to International visitors.

Seems like a conflict of interests here?