U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines

snoop1130

1 hour ago, AquaThai said:

Pensioners and retirees once paid taxes,  so to say they are not tax payers is inaccurate.   Once a member always a member.  They deserve  the same representation  as a person who currently  pays tas, as one day the current  tax payer will also be a retiree.   Just because  someone  retires doesnt mean they arent a tax payer.  Your logic is flawed.  

I’m not sure what this has to do with my question. 

Again, should people that pay taxes be entitled to vaccinations before people that do not pay taxes?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Again, should people that pay taxes be entitled to vaccinations before people that do not pay taxes?

No....vaccinations should be administered on medical grounds.

Hypothetically speaking how long would it take to plan, coordinate and launch a program to vaccinate all overseas Americans?  How would the countries be prioritized?  How would Americans in Thailand feel if other countries with American Citizens were given priority and those of us in LOS are told to wait and be patient?  Based upon the principle of fairness(I still believe in that) if such a program was to be launched Thailand would not be the first country to get vaccines for it's citizens.  I believe there are American Citizens in Taiwan and I have not heard if any of the 2.25 million doses donated by the US Government are reserved for them?  

I have lived and worked in several countries where there were and are many Americans and the pandemic is much worse there than in LOS.  

I commend the French Government for vaccinating it's citizens in Thailand so quickly but does the same hold for French citizens in other parts of the world as well?  I have not heard if French Citizens are getting vaccinated in Vietnam or even in French Territories? 

I think the biggest issue holding the US Government back from vaccinating overseas Americans is "what country do we begin with?".  Doubt Thailand would be the first country.  There are a lot of Americans in Mexico, Brazil, Haiti and in India.  I doubt an American will get vaccinated by these governments? 

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

It amazes me that people (apparently) consider getting a vaccine one of their “unalienable rights” as an American citizen.

I worked for a US compay with operations in Thailand for twenty years. I know how taxes work. 

The covid debacle is a public heath issue, and it is the responsibility of the government to address that issue. US Expats are not part of the US public, and as such the US government has no responsibility to immunize them. 

No legal responsibility......but some might argue a moral responsibility (I'm not American)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

If they are expats and their tax-paying dollars paid for donated vaccines to the host country (i.e.: Thailand), then ALL expats from that country should have priority in receiving vaccination from those donated vaccines IF the host country is not fairly including expats in their public rollout of vaccines...and that happens to be the case here in Thailand.  I mean, what's fair is fair.

What difference does it make whether the expats are tax payers or tax recipients? 

How do you know that the Thai government is not fairly including expats in the donated vaccines?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

No legal responsibility......but some might argue a moral responsibility (I'm not American)

To make that argument, one would have to also have to make the argument that ALL public services available to citizens residing in the US should be made available to expats, yes? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What difference does it make whether the expats are tax payers or tax recipients? 

How do you know that the Thai government is not fairly including expats in the donated vaccines?

To begin with there was a lot of confusion and expats were put on the back burner for a while ........I think Thailand then, with some reluctance, did start to cater for expats (to a degree).

Edited by Surelynot

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

To make that argument, one would have to also have to make the argument that ALL public services available to citizens residing in the US should be made available to expats, yes? 

Again...no vested interest....but a pandemic could be argued to be somewhat different to ALL public services.

My friend and I went to the Emporium vaccination center yesterday, walking by the big "I'm Vaccinated" sign by which Thais were taking photos.  For a laugh, we asked the workers if they could vaccinate foreigners.  That gave them a good laugh, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I have no idea what your first question means.

As for your second question, consider the following.  To date, How many expats have been able to successfully register for vaccination by any of the numerous registration schemes that have been provided such as MorProm, in-person registration at designated hospitals, or the InterVac sites? 

The answer is...Very few!  Even though many expats have gone to extreme lengths to do register in a number of different ways, all of their efforts have been in vain!  All of these registration schemes have failed miserably. In the case of in-personal registration at "designated" hospital, a list of such designated hospitals was NEVER even provided, even though the CCSA repeatedly promised to furnish for weeks.

Then when the registration scheme changed to being online, the MorProm app intentionally limited it to those who could provide a pink card, which almost no expats would normally have, when it would have been very easy to allow for passport or Thai Drivers license.

Then, when the CCSA changed stance and said that MorProm was not actually intended for foreigners to use and introduced the InterVac site, it was a complete fiasco and NEVER worked properly from Day 1, and has now been completely non-functional for over two weeks now. 

Now, the daily briefings in English  from the CCSA offer almost no meaningful discussion concerning foreigner registration for vaccination, even though they promised that foreigners were not being forgotten and would be kept up to date in every briefing.  That has been an empty promise!

You tell me...have all of these major screw-ups been merely accidental or have they been by design?  I would say it is the latter.  It's becoming clear that the registration schemes to date as well as the daily CCSA briefings in English have been public relations tools to appease foreigners, rather than legitimate tools that will lead expats to vaccination appointments.

I believe there are very strong reasons to assume that expats are at least being ignored in the present vaccination rollout scheme FOR SURE!  A stronger but entirely appropriate way to say that is that they are actively being discriminated against.

So, with all of this being said, to answer your second question precisely, if expats are not able to register, they will not be able to receive vaccinations from the donated vaccines that will soon be provided to Thailand by their very own home country, where their very own tax dollars helped pay for them!  Does that really sound fair???

The only way to assure they will receive them is for it to be stipulated that EVERY US expat receive vaccination from the donated vaccines FIRST.  Sorry if that sounds nationalistic to say, but based on how expats are currently being treated in the Thai public registration scheme right now, it's entirely appropriate to feel this way.

Funny how these commies tout equality, wear a mask for your fellow man, etc until it comes down to their fear of dying. Then it's GET ME A SHOT FIRST!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, AquaThai said:

No optimism,  its saying they are donating the vaccine to countries, and the countries are expected, not that they will, to include the citizens of the donating country equally to receive  the vaccine.  This already is not happening. as many of us are searching for sources to be included  in the roll out, often being told to pay, which I am willing to pay, but quicly the allocation of vaccines  for local non locals runs out extremely fast; however the local nationals still are signing up and not being turned away.  The email say its citizens  will get the vaccine with the local nationals  which is lip service because  we know its already not happening 

Exactly..  just like at the end of my Soi in Pattaya they just put up an Awning  and in Thai it reads that tgey will be giving vaccines on the 28th Of June.  But if I hadnt posted it here, or you haven't rode by the sign, and if you dont read Thai you wouldnt know that they are going to give out the vaccine  that day.  I have one Thai tell me no not vaccine they will give out food is what sign say.  So does it mske sense that they will give out food one day only, or that they will possibly  be vaccinating on that day.  If you arent Thai you arent told and you arent informed. 

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

No because at one time or another  all pay taxes, therefore they are tax payers and should all be included.  So if Americans  are being vaccinated  at home they  should equally be abroad, as the only difference  is geo location.  Its the same thing as not being represented.  Why was there a revolt from the American  colonies in the 1700s?  Because  they paid their dues, but were not being treted equally  abroad.   Taxation without representation.   Now here we have Americans  abroad not being treated the same as our Citizens at home when it comes to the war on Covid.  Its the same thing

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AquaThai said:

Exactly..  just like at the end of my Soi in Pattaya they just put up an Awning  and in Thai it reads that tgey will be giving vaccines on the 28th Of June.  But if I hadnt posted it here, or you haven't rode by the sign, and if you dont read Thai you wouldnt know that they are going to give out the vaccine  that day.  I have one Thai tell me no not vaccine they will give out food is what sign say.  So does it mske sense that they will give out food one day only, or that they will possibly  be vaccinating on that day.  If you arent Thai you arent told and you arent informed. 

My very sweet Thai neighbour told me the same, at selected schools on 28th. So I think maybe worth a visit if you can find out where exactly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

My very sweet Thai neighbour told me the same, at selected schools on 28th. So I think maybe worth a visit if you can find out where exactly.

Yeah you could.

But its totally obvious that they aren't inviting expats there.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, John Drake said:
On 6/25/2021 at 3:05 PM, Tony125 said:

Thanks for that. Good to see. I just followed up on your information and got the list of the senators who want to help us. Need to remember who was for us and who was against us and who didn't care when election time comes. 

https://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/murphy-moran-colleagues-urge-blinken-to-help-americans-living-abroad-get-vaccinated-against-covid-19

The mid-terms are EXACTLY why there's a sudden interest in garnering your vote. The obscenity of their cynical posturing is only exceeded by your enduring belief that your politicians actually care about you.

Interesting to see that only 3 Republicans seem to care about you at the moment. Not unexpected.

• Like 1

This tax thing is a diversionary red herring.

The USA has surplus vaccines for days.

The contrast to the rest of the world is obscene.

Appropriately the US is donating lots of vaccines globally. But not nearly enough.

Anyway the US expats that are being denied jabs abroad and or blatantly discriminated against as in Thailand would represent well under 1 percent of donated doses.

So in effect by the US denying us this help during a historic pandemic we're being thrown under the songthaew by BOTH governments!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1