Bangkok lockdown proposal not yet accepted due to economic concerns

snoop1130

000_9AW9F4.jpg

A fish vendor pushes her cart in the Chinatown area of Bangkok on May 28, 2021. (Photo by Jack TAYLOR / AFP)

The Thai government has not yet decided to go forward with a proposal, made by a prominent doctor, for a one-week lockdown of Bangkok amid rising COVID-19 cases, citing concerns over economic impacts of the measure, said Gen. Nattaphon Narkphanit, who heads a Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) sub-committee.

Gen. Nattaphon said the “bubble-and-seal” approach will remain in use, but with stricter measures, with details to be discussed at a meeting today, while the lockdown proposal will remain “under consideration”.

Yesterday, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nitipatana Chierakul, chief of the respiratory disease and tuberculosis division of the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, posted on Facebook that a lockdown of Bangkok is the “best answer” to the current situation, which he called “desperate.”

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-lockdown-proposal-not-yet-accepted-due-to-economic-concerns/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-24

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s past the stage now where a short lockdown will have any reasonable benefits. There is only pain ahead now with either a prolonged lockdown or more sickness and death. There is no 3rd option. Either way the new 500 billion loan will not stretch the distance in either scenario. 
As usual it will be the average Thai that will needlessly suffer. 
it’s time for the Thai people to rise against the ineptitude of the ruling Junta as they are now truly going to pay with their lives. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought the idea had been dropped completely? Or is it just the Press trying to keep people interested?

Did you not read the article:

"Gen. Nattaphon said the “bubble-and-seal” approach will remain in use, but with stricter measures, with details to be discussed at a meeting today, while the lockdown proposal will remain “under consideration”."

Its under consideration, quote directly from CCSA

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you not read the article:

"Gen. Nattaphon said the “bubble-and-seal” approach will remain in use, but with stricter measures, with details to be discussed at a meeting today, while the lockdown proposal will remain “under consideration”."

Its under consideration, quote directly from CCSA

I read "bubble & seal" to mean targeted rapid lockdowns of places like markets and factories which have outbreaks, not a lockdown of the whole city.  The latter is what I am hoping has been shelved.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I read "bubble & seal" to mean targeted rapid lockdowns of places like markets and factories which have outbreaks, not a lockdown of the whole city.  The latter is what I am hoping has been shelved.

I think you're having an issue comprehending the statement, try again:

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think you're having an issue comprehending the statement, try again:

Disappointing. I thought earlier reports said it had been abandoned.  

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/covid-19-task-force-pushes-back-on-bangkok-lockdown-proposal

Edited by brewsterbudgen

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai government has not yet decided to go forward with a proposal, made by a prominent doctor, for a one-week lockdown of Bangkok amid rising COVID-19 cases, citing concerns over economic impacts of the measure, said Gen. Nattaphon Narkphanit, who heads a Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) sub-committee.

Health care versus the economy... hmmm

Bangkok will never be shut down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If it is to happen, they have already blown it and allowed many to pack up and get ready to drive out of Bangkok tomorrow.  They should just seal the boundaries of Bangkok, and then announce it.  This is exactly how and why the spread will continue by giving people plenty of time to head out and take the virus with them....stupid is as stupid does.

Exactly!  since the story hours later announced another that it wasn't going to happen yet today another story?  The more you talk about rumor mill here in Thailand with locals they panic.

I got lots of negative feedback last year when I reported with conversation with family in China, they were locking down provinces and wanted to force vaccine on locals and migrants before it happened thousand flee thus the spread? ????

Well, as discussed on science sites and forums last year, another type of lock down is due to be considered by WHO (for recommendation), Climate Change Lock Downs. The EU also has officials that are going to discuss it for feasibility studies. I'm not sure but I think the present admin in USA is also considering it. Because satellite imagery from last year showed clearing skies during forced lock downs and that now as lock downs decrease pollution is again rising...

This is a short extract from the conclusion to a Springer Link paper 'Recent advances in satellite mapping of global air quality: evidences during COVID-19 pandemic' published earlier this year (showing images too);

''The various satellite observations unequivocally show that Northern China, Western Europe, Indian-subcontinent and the US witnessed a substantial decline in air pollution during the lock down period...This requires for a global effort to frame more stringent regulatory standards and climate policies so that drastic improvements in air quality could be achieved.'

My point is that is lock down for one reason or another could/might become the new norm and if that were the case it isn't going to matter much what Thailand considers for 'tourism bubbles' and the like.

Lock it down baby.  Da*m the torpedoes, full-speed ahead!!!

Actually I find it interesting what they choose to lockdown.  Small and medium businesses get the axe.  Markets get the axe.  But due to the negative impact on the economy factories, malls, big business, corporate interests get to remain open.

That's pretty calculated to me.  As far as I'm concerned they are out to destroy the middle and lower classes and transfer wealth to the Hi-Sos and the richest.

Shut it all down.  Let the wealthy have a taste of what they heap upon the masses.

Edited by connda

For the same (economic) reasons the Trump administration refused early 2020 to take action....and they even tried to prevent action (remember "Liberate Michigan"?) / Now there are more than 600.000 people dead from COVID in the USA

I understand that in every country authorities are stuck between a rock (economy)  and hard place (full hospitals) ....but I am afraid that in the end the virus will prevail and as foreigners cannot yet be vaccinated outside Bangkok I hope it will not catch me.

• Like 1

Yesterday it was a "no!". Today it is still under consideration?? Is this flip flop of the day or just poor journalism? We all know if they do a lockdown it won't be for a week so who are they kidding? They're now worried about economic fallout? I guess only in the capital and don't give a rats behind about the economic fallout closures have caused once again in the rest of the nation