Phuket ready for the Sandbox! But PM says “don't let mafia" spoil the party

webfact

The statement   "Around 300 tourists are expected "

for 300 passengers is just equivalent to  2 flights. It is nothing.

There are a lot of Thai people  left the country to get their vaccines overseas, and other farangs returning home. Not to forget that many well-to-do Thai people will be  going this summer  to the US for their moderna/Pfizer vaccines. Returning to Phuket a good option for them. 

"expected 30,000 down from 100,000 in 120 days."..my math  tells me 250 people per day.....just one plane per day

This plan is designed for the returnees back to Thailand... however, It does not look like a plan well in place to help the tourism industry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

That's totally for the government to control but they chose not to.
If the government wanted the mafia ended, they'd end the mafia.
So obviously they don't.

But the Gov. and their mates ARE the Mafia, so how could they end it 555

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

expect to arrive ......who cares 300 or 1500??? The question is How many people have confirmed and booked already there flights..And talking about maffia... the head is in Bangkok busy to delay vaccines

Don’t Spoil The Party … 555555555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Partenavia said:

I am far from convinced that the population of Phuket has been vaccinated with TWO doses of an approved vaccine.  With the last one being administered prior to 17th June, to allow for the TWO week period to allow full protection.

They clearly havent, Pinnochio and his gang do as they please...... rig elections, fabricate figures for both testing and vaccines etc etc with impunity! and start sandboxes to deflect from their own total ineptitude, insatiable greed and negligent scant regard for the population of Thailand.

• Like 1

QUOTE:  "It was clear that with so much resting on the Phuket Sandbox as regards the immediate future of Thai tourism the government did not want the mafia putting a spanner in the works and upsetting foreign tourists, notes Thaivisa."

Point taken. 

But why haven't the authorities taken action (e.g. taxis / tuk tuks) 30 years ago to totally stop their inappropriate and at times frightening behaviors and their attempts to rip off tourists? How many times have the local/national authorities conducted campaigns to clean up these drivers and owners, must be at least 200 campaigns that I'm aware of in 30+ years and not one campaign has achieved anything. Again poor and ineffective national and local authorities including the police.

• Like 1

He said that the latest Tourism Authority of Thailand assessment was that 100,000 visitors in the next three months will spend 9 billion baht. 

So each person will be spending 90 million baht get real please or get a new calculator 

• Like 1

Tourists arriving will already be ripped off with covid testing, 2800 baht x 4 tests, to draw the attention away from themselves  they certainly don't want the taxi mafia to exasperate the situation, the pot calling the kettle black springs to mind.

• Like 1

"...he was expecting something around 300....when others see how safe it is they will decide to come....100,000 visitors in the next three months will spend 9 billion baht."

300 is laughable. Even at 300 per day it will take 333 days to get to 100,000 tourists.

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh today!!

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

The Jetski rentals are all lined up along the beach already, and the tourist police are already sitting on the deckchairs with their notebooks ready....

YEs, but the question is: what are they going to do when nobody shows up?

"Pipat said that on Thursday he was expecting something around 300..."

They'll be lucky to get 300 sand fleas with the amount of tourists who actually show up.

Edited by DBath

2 hours ago, malthebluff said:

He said that the latest Tourism Authority of Thailand assessment was that 100,000 visitors in the next three months will spend 9 billion baht. 

So each person will be spending 90 million baht get real please or get a new calculator 

I think it's actually 90, 000 baht each which would be about 6400 bht per day based on 14 day stay, however I think about 2-3000 bht per day would be more realistic ( not including freelancers), Of course 100,000 visitors highly unlikely, maybe 2000 closer to the mark

They are living in a dream world if they think people are going to spend their hard earned money to be stuck on an island even if they have been fully vaccinated. The country continues to shoot itself in the foot. They are making them quarantine the same as the unvaccinated. I hope they all go to countries that have a logical approach to it. 

Certainly one the top spots in the world Phuket has, is the Worst Taxi Mafia on earth. Making each trip to Phuket a little less appealing.   Even the PM of Thailand recognizes it.  I so hope the install a baht bus system there.  Being a convenient gateway to the some of the most beautiful islands earth, Phuket will always get traffic, and have tourism. Allowing the "Taxi Mafia" to ruin those tourist holiday is a shame. 

• Like 2