PM unsure 7-day lockdown of Bangkok will stop spread of COVID-19

snoop1130

11 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Although I agree with your point in general, Western politicians didn't exactly do great on this front for most of the pandemic either.

This is Thailand.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

It won't all be over, lockdown or not - it's not going away any time soon regardless of what they do.

A 7 day lockdown will stall things a little bit for 7 days, that's it.  Nothing more.

...agreed...more like one month and with strict enforcement and contact tracing, mass vaccinations..plus they must factor in at least times ten of known infections to get anywhere near an accurate number.

but he was sure it would help closing down bars, massage parlors, gyms, beaches, dine in restaurants, and everything else. 3 month later turns out what he thought was wrong. 

May be he should allow someone else to do the thinking

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

but he was sure it would help closing down bars, massage parlors, gyms, beaches, dine in restaurants, and everything else. 3 month later turns out what he thought was wrong. 

May be he should allow someone else to do the thinking

The 3 stooges don't allow other to think.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smedly said:

very simplistic view - I would agree if this was 1890 but that is not were we are - in the past plagues (pandemics) have killed millions upon millions of people - thanks to science we have moved up a step from that but it is still not easy to implement solutions that take time to develope - Thailand current governemt dropped the ball on this for numerous reasons but they are not correcting it even when faced with colossal failure - they will be counted 

Shame on those who were cheering this lot on when they first grabbed power, eh chief? Waiting for the apology.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fangless said:

Just the rumour of a lockdown will create a mass exodus of the infected back to their villages and thus spreading it even more.

A lock down should mean no one leaves.????

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really think that it's time that they bit the bullet, lockdown for at least a month, get the vaccination teams mobile and start jabbing everyone ASAP, harsh & unpopular I know but at this moment in time we are fighting a losing battle, I don't feel comfortable with my other half having to run the gauntlet every time she goes shopping, and it's also not good that we expats are no where near vaccination, diabolical shambles to be honest.

I agree with you but not sure this is how the men in charge are thinking. My own humble opinion is that places will continue to open up for purely financial reasons (Phuket) I hope I am wrong but the God of money is shouting loudly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It won't all be over, lockdown or not - it's not going away any time soon regardless of what they do.

A 7 day lockdown will stall things a little bit for 7 days, that's it.  Nothing more.

He's struggling to come to terms with this whole outbreak. They need someone in charge that will make the right decisions and quarantine is not the answer

• Like 1

People who can are leaving Bangkok now.  I think hysteria and news of no hospital beds is going to be all over social media if it isn't already.  Lockdown or not people are going home to safety.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Bingo!  Buy that man a cookie.

7 day lock down will stall things 7 days.

21 day lock down will stall things 21 days.

120 day lock down will stall things 120 days.

It is a virus loose in the general population of the world and will run its course until enough are exposed naturally or by vaccine as has every virus or disease has since the evolution of humanity.

It is not even that good. Empirical data shows the trajectory of the viral infections is not altered by what they call "non-medical interventions". However logical they may sound, the numbers do not reflect it.

Look at what has happened in Sydney this week. They dragged out going into lockdown and now it is a serious situation. Another city run by an idiot premier who doesn't listen to the experts.

• Like 2

People with common sense all said, that it was stupid not to prohibit travelling during Songkran. Luckily Japan is now trying to be allowed to donate 1 million doses vaccine to each of a variety of asian countries including Thailand.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

what should we do? I think that, if we get hurt but it will be over, then we should do it but, if we get hurt and it does not work, then we should explore other means,”

er....18 months ago SCOMO in Oz said..... "2 weeks to flatten the curve"

Still waiting for that curve to flatten Boss.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dougiemac52 said:

He's struggling to come to terms with this whole outbreak. They need someone in charge that will make the right decisions and quarantine is not the answer

That is something that we have got used to accepting while living in Thailand. Most Thai people have a problem making decisions, even if is a simple yes or no, in case they decide wrong and they lose face. Safer for them to let someone else decide.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

saying that he has to consider the issue very carefully and hear the opinions of all stakeholders, including people in the capital, about the impacts from such drastic action.

In other words what he is saying is that, there are a number of people who don't want to get vaccinated, so we have to counter that with allowing people to get infected to make up for those not wanting to get vaccinated, that way we can get to heard immunity sooner rather than later. Doing it this way is a win/win and the focus will be taken off there being a vaccine shortage where we F'd up, so no lose of face on our part.

The above said, Sydney Australia went into lockdown as of midnight last night with 69 new cases, go figure ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dougiemac52 said:

But sadly farang in Thailand cannot hold office.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

7 days would stop Covid as mush as Custer stopped the Indians at Little Big Horn.

You'd need to basically lockdown for 28 days minimum. 14 to see if people had it, and then another 14 to cover those infected by those infected in the same house during lockdown 

Pre lockdown they should be doing mass testing and vaccinations so as to gauge the effectiveness over say 28 days. During that time they should keep  mass testing and be able to determine from those figures how much longer the lockdown is required. In Melbourne Australia it took 3 months lockdown to eliminate the virus with a start point of 700. Mass testing was the yard stick that brought us out of lockdown. It was at huge economic cost and that's the price that Thailand doesn't want to bear for the health & lives of it's people.