Thailand reports 3,995 new COVID-19 cases, 42 more deaths

21 minutes ago, James105 said:

The AZ vaccine is produced and sold at cost,  there is no profit being made from this one.   Pfizer is different.

Thailand does not have western resources to throw at a problem like this and it is pure fantasy to think otherwise.   It was always a risk to stay here during a pandemic for anyone vulnerable to this who could have returned to the west as there isn’t the money or the hospital facilities to cope if it does get out of hand.    If I was vulnerable to this virus I would already be planning my exit or would have gone already, rather than fantasising about Thailand spending money they do not have.   

The problem with Thailand is its a second world country.  Third world countries will receive help much sooner from first world nations.  Believe it or not, they do have money to throw at this but they insist on buying submarines or whatever the devil they're doing now.

Basically it's a get in line situation like the rest of the world and Thailand is anything but first.  

Seriously, you need every month ten thousand vaccines for Thailand to be open in a year.  They are absolutely, positively, 100 percent nowhere near this number.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You first sentence is bang on, your second paragraph starts faltering on very dodgy ground. 

The reason they have been scrambling for vaccines is not budget, it was very poor planning last year.

Vaccine procurement budget unlimited: Health Minister

The Minister of Public Health has declared in a parliamentary session that Thailand doesn’t have any budget restriction when it comes to vaccine procurement

Fair enough, but actions speak louder than words and the unlimited budgets of the west had no problems procuring enough vaccines for everyone - perhaps their budgets were more unlimited?  But like I said, if I was in any way vulnerable to the virus, I would be spending my time booking flights and getting out of here rather than complaining about the Thai governments lack resources/ability/planning etc to fix it for me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Seriously, you need every month ten thousand vaccines for Thailand to be open in a year.

It's a LOT more than that per day.

So far they are falling way short of required number. Think on June 7 is was 400k + (per day). Lately fallen way below that magic daily figure. Think today was bit over 70k.

There is a good graph in this thread that shows the daily shots

55 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Well you have fun with that.  

We are 75 percent vaccinated, our cases are basically nothing and we are fully opening with mask wearing not mandatory on July 1st.  

Everything open here even now, just the mask wearing will go away last.  And that's in days.  

Does that mean that 75% have been vaccinated twice.? I did not realise. 

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats a very niave statement. Most expats here have families here, are married, have children, homes, responsibilites. It not as easy as to just pack up and leave. Everybody here is vulnerable to the virus.

Thailand's health service is actually good for a developing nation, the problem is mis management of the pandemic.

Not everyone here is vulnerable to the virus though.    The average age of death from this is 82 in the UK, one year older than death from any cause.   I’m not saying its zero risk for healthy people under 60, but it is close enough to zero risk not to be particularly concerned about it.    Everyone I know in my family in the UK that has had it, and some are opposite to young and healthy,  lived to tell the tale and most only knew they had it when they were told so by a test.   

I’m sure people do have responsibilities here, but if I was that worried about it then I would do something about it that was within my control,  even if that something was an expensive, annoying hassle.  

37 minutes ago, James105 said:

Fair enough, but actions speak louder than words and the unlimited budgets of the west had no problems procuring enough vaccines for everyone - perhaps their budgets were more unlimited?  But like I said, if I was in any way vulnerable to the virus, I would be spending my time booking flights and getting out of here rather than complaining about the Thai governments lack resources/ability/planning etc to fix it for me.  

The government isn’t supposed to fix it for YOU. They are meant to fix it for all human beings living in Thailand, in particular their own citizens.

your suggestion that western countries got what they wanted solely because of their bigger budgets, isn’t wholly true. Just look at the issues the EU had/have getting enough vaccine doses. They could pay, but AZ just couldn’t deliver. The EU sued, may still be sueing, I’m not sure.

it’s not only money, there is availability to consider and those who ordered first, are first in the queue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

The AZ vaccine is produced and sold at cost,  there is no profit being made from this one.   Pfizer is different.

Thailand does not have western resources to throw at a problem like this and it is pure fantasy to think otherwise.   It was always a risk to stay here during a pandemic for anyone vulnerable to this who could have returned to the west as there isn’t the money or the hospital facilities to cope if it does get out of hand.    If I was vulnerable to this virus I would already be planning my exit or would have gone already, rather than fantasising about Thailand spending money they do not have.   

The Moderna vaccine was about $15 per dose. So if Thailand bought 140,000,000 doses, the total cost would be about 2.1 billion dollars. 

The Thai govt budget in 2020 was about 106 billion dollars. When you consider how much revenue the Thai government will have lost by not spending on vaccines, it seems doubly odd to assert that devoting less than 2% of the budget to buying vaccines was financially out of the reach of the Thai government.

But good to hear that you're not vulnerable to the virus. And let me take this opportunity to console you on the destruction of your home planet, Krypton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not everyone here is vulnerable to the virus though.    The average age of death from this is 82 in the UK, one year older than death from any cause.   I’m not saying its zero risk for healthy people under 60, but it is close enough to zero risk not to be particularly concerned about it.    Everyone I know in my family in the UK that has had it, and some are opposite to young and healthy,  lived to tell the tale and most only knew they had it when they were told so by a test.   

I’m sure people do have responsibilities here, but if I was that worried about it then I would do something about it that was within my control,  even if that something was an expensive, annoying hassle.  

Pity you have little education or refuse to accept the reality of who is vulnerable to the virus, its not just to do with age, its to do with underlying conditions which are numerous. Its additionally not just to do with death but also being taken seriously ill in ICU for weeks, only to survive with long covid.

I've also got family in the UK who have had the virus, a daughter who is a nurse and both her children, however I also know of two ex colleagues who died of it. 

Just because we are worried about something here in Thailand does not mean we can move. With your logic then there should have been a mass exodus from the UK, Europe, USA and all countries who have gone through worse than Thailand.

A little reality in your world would go a long way and a little understanding of others positions rather than the easy move out throw away cheap shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't talk in riddles. 

Read your following words:

. I hear that the AZ vaccine supplied to Thailand was being sold at quite a markup by various Thai outlets , likewise the Pfizer .

So now name ONE place that I can acquire a Pfizer or for that matter a AZ vaccine. 

I have tried private hospitals already.

"Pharmacies"???? That's a joke right.

Its an open secret that vaccines are being hoarded and that Thai v.i.p.s are the first to be innoculated . Do you honestly think that they would sell to you , a farang ? Money and notoriety talk in Thailand . Farangs are low life in many Thai eyes . Oh I forgot , there is no corruption or two tier pricing in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

I would like to ask if you now acknowledge that Thailand’s lack of vaccine supplies has nothing to do with the country’s ability to pay?

You have been given several sources to show that is not true. Do you have any sources to show the country is bankrupt to the extent that it cannot afford to buy vaccine supplies?

1 hour ago, James105 said:

"It was always a risk to stay here during a pandemic for anyone vulnerable to this who could have returned to the west as there isn’t the money or the hospital facilities to cope if it does get out of hand.    If I was vulnerable to this virus I would already be planning my exit or would have gone already,"

After April 1st (2020) flight back to UK was cancelled I wondered if I should take advantage of the "stranded" options to remain in Thailand.

At 65 yrs I thought it best to return to UK.

Glad I did.......2 shots in me.....daily, frequent contact with general public and no special worries.

7 day average of about 14000 cases and 17 dead per day.

Hospitalised with COVID.......1500.

The last time we had 14000 infections a day we were also getting about 250 dead and had about 10000 in hospital.

Vaccination program progressing very well.

It was inevitable that the **** would hit the fan sooner or later in........."Paradise".

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Home self-test regarding Covid-19

I read with surprise that even in Thailand Home self-test are on sale, but from the reaction on the link indicated, the medical authorities say they do not use them because you of the people are too stupid to understand the results, a statement that leaves me astonished because no authority in Europe has ever dared to make such insinuations where they are widely used.

I assume it's to hide the true numbers of infected

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/dept-of-medical-sciences-warns-against-antibody-testing-kits

Look at the last sentence of this link: the director says that home test kits are not necessary because the DMS has an "immunity tracking system" for persons who have already had shot(s).  Does anyone know what he is talking about? 

I actually have had a shot of AZ at Bangkok MedPark hospital on 6/22, and that is not why I want one of these rough and ready kits.

I want it because I just today booked a flight to SFO (California) for July 15, and it would be nice to have some approximate idea of whether I am currently asymptomatic before getting into that 3 day window for a test before the flight. I've been asking around today and it seems I'm in the minority; anecdotally it seems most who don't feel sick wait to just before the flight and only get the required test. I asked at 4 pharmacies today and one said find it on-line. Does anyone know a pharmacy chain that has such home test kits?

I don't take lightly that I'm lucky to be able to pack up and leave now, since it would be very hard for many.

My apologies - that's ten million doses every month required for a year for Thailand to re-open.  You require two doses to get it under control.  

This silly notion that Thailand is going to open any time soon is just preposterous.  It's fodder for its citizens because, in reality, they know they won't want to eat the poop sandwich.  There is not going to be a sandbox, a bubble, or whatever on earth they are pushing now.  It changes hour to hour.

If you are worried, it's important to just stay away from crowds, wash your hands, wear your mask.  Sterilize your phone.  Don't touch your face.  You can do it just be very careful.  I understand how frustrating it is to not be immunized when it is surging.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

Look at the last sentence of this link: the director says that home test kits are not necessary because the DMS has an "immunity tracking system" for persons who have already had shot(s).  Does anyone know what he is talking about? 

I actually have had a shot of AZ at Bangkok MedPark hospital on 6/22, and that is not why I want one of these rough and ready kits.

I want it because I just today booked a flight to SFO (California) for July 15, and it would be nice to have some approximate idea of whether I am currently asymptomatic before getting into that 3 day window for a test before the flight. I've been asking around today and it seems I'm in the minority; anecdotally it seems most who don't feel sick wait to just before the flight and only get the required test. I asked at 4 pharmacies today and one said find it on-line. Does anyone know a pharmacy chain that has such home test kits?

I don't take lightly that I'm lucky to be able to pack up and leave now, since it would be very hard for many.

That's a bit of a confusing article. The kits in the picture look like cross lateral flow rapid test kits, no good for antibody test. From public info broadcasts in the UK I think they say they are 97%+ accurate. AFAIK you're more likely to get a false negative than positive from them, but could be wrong. Antibody tests are recommend to be carried out but health professionals, as the article says.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Travel restrictions

Are you heading to Udon Thani? If you come from 22 high risk provinces, it is now compulsory to do 14 day quarantine on arrival in state accommodation. Home quarantine is no longer allowed

If you heading to Chiang Mai from provinces in the dark red zone you must do a swab test on arrival, even if vaccinated. If you live there you must do 14 day quarantine at home. Others must pay for ALQ quarantine. The message is clear, only travel if your journey is necessary.

Is your journey really necessary? If you live in the dark red zone (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani & Narathiwat) you are encouraged to stay within your province for at least another month

Are you going to Khorat (Nakhon Ratchasima) from the dark red or red zones? If so, you must go to Maharaj Hospital for a COVID test on arrival and then quarantine for 24 hours while waiting for the results. The message is clear, only travel if necessary

And so it begins.  Looks like each Province is starting to set rules all of which will do what to stem this past weekends flow of people outward from Bangkok?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exodus of #Cambodian workers after #Thai government ordered one-month- lockdown of all worker camps in #Bangkok and neighboring provinces in an attempt to curb #COVID19 outbreak. Many were dumped on roadside by employers and left to find their way home without help.

https://twitter.com/sunaibkk/status/1409148554082349063

Just horrific and treated like cattle to be disposed of.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exodus of #Cambodian workers after #Thai government ordered one-month- lockdown of all worker camps in #Bangkok and neighboring provinces in an attempt to curb #COVID19 outbreak. Many were dumped on roadside by employers and left to find their way home without help.

https://twitter.com/sunaibkk/status/1409148554082349063

Thailand was ranked very high to deal with covid when it wasn't here let's see how they do when it is here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And so it begins.  Looks like each Province is starting to set rules all of which will do what to stem this past weekends flow of people outward from Bangkok?

Too late. 

• Like 1