COVID-19: Thailand reports new daily record of 53 deaths; 4,786 new cases

webfact

3 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Not only with Sinovac you see Israel with the new delta variant all vaccines are ineffective for 40%

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/40-percent-of-coronavirus-stricken-israelis-infected-with-uk-strain-nachman-ash-655957

That link doesn't mean what you think it does. It says nothing about what percentage of the people infected with uk variant, or any variant for that matter  were inoculated

35 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

You talk math while some of us talk elementary logic.  And that logic is this:  You can't cite the death rate being "low" now as proof the virus isn't that dangerous so restrictions should be lifted, because -- and this is the hard part that right-wing libertarians have such a hard time understanding:  Restrictions are in place now.  Remove the restrictions and the death rate soars.  Get it?

That is clearly true, not least because more cases equals more hospitalizations, to the point that hospitals cannot accept more patients. Patients that do not receive medical care, are more likely to die than those that do not. Hence the death rate rises.

relatives of the dead get very very unhappy when their loved one dies without receiving any medical care.

are we close to that point. Well, it has already been officially reported that a policy of not accepting migrant workers at one medical receiving centre in Bangkok, has been instituted. In certain areas, unfortunately the most populous, Thailand is, or is at the point of, having its medical facilities overwhelmed.

I’m not sure what the mathematical equation is for all this though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ourmanflint said:

I must admit, I did think this current surge was due to the delta variant, but according to some newsposts yesterday, that is not true, and the current surge is mainly down to the alpha or British variant with over 75% of cases.

If true, then as the delta variant takes hold it is inevitable that it will have the same effect in Thailand as it has been in Indonesia where it is now the dominant strain

Maybe 10,000+ per day will be the new norm very soon?

Not just Indonesia, but also UK. A very high percentage of their new cases is due to the delta strain now taking hold. And of course they went through alpha in graphic fashion.

so presumable, the current alpha cases in Thailand will be supplanted with a greater number of delta, due to the latters higher contagion. Just my opinion based on what happened in the UK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

As someone else pointed out, this article is dated Jan 19, 2021. By that date a total of 2.94 million inoculations had been administered. Given that vaccinations started on Dec 19 most of those were first time inoculations.

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

what is the point of your post ?, it really is lost on me, you seem to trying to say something then arguing with yourself against it, might be best to just leave it there

My point is about the way we accept death from certain things and not others.It's about the choices we make in our lives and how it affects our ability to survive certain threats to our well being.It's also about fear.To me there is only one fear, the fear of death.Some fear covid yet eat too much and exercise too little putting themselves at risk of an early death yet it's only when they get a scare do they do something about it but some will continue on as they have always done and ignore the fact that they might be reducing their ability the survive to their potential, for some of those there is no second chance.For me being a surfer I was more worried about sharks than I was about road accidents.Mostly though my point was about putting the numbers into perspective, covid is all the rage now but with the vaccines we now have it looks like the dangers from covid will be reduced to a point where people will be more worried about getting the flu.

Here's another example: Apparently 25000 people die of starvation each day, that's about 9 million each year.Are you terribly concerned about that?What do covid lockdown restrictions do for people dying of starvation?

Please someone tell me it's their choice.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

different countries report in different ways - countries like India, Thailand and other 3rd world countries are almost certainly underreported - the UK is likely over reported 

which would you rather have

No, the UK is also likely under-reported as excess mortality figures show.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1137

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tingtong said:

A better comparison would be per population...

Then Thailand is near par with Indonesia (270m ppl there), and way worse than the Philippines...

And Malaysia would take the top spot (31m ppl), with about 2x more by % population then top of list Indonesia...

Either way, Thailand isn't in a good spot.

even adgusting for population thailand isn't close to Indonesia. Indonesia has approximately 4 times the number of people. So 4 times the total number of thai deaths would be roughly 8000 whereas Indonesia has about 58,000.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Not only with Sinovac you see Israel with the new delta variant all vaccines are ineffective for 40%

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/40-percent-of-coronavirus-stricken-israelis-infected-with-uk-strain-nachman-ash-655957

It's not what your source states:

"Some 30-40% of Israelis who contracted COVID-19 are infected with the British variant, coronavirus commissioner Prof. Nachman Ash said on Tuesday"

It's about the UK variant and It's about people who have been infected.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

more than 44 million have had at leaast one vaccine. But I think you are missing the point...

the UK with an almost fully vaccinated population just posted 20K+ infections in one day...”

44 million who have had at least one vaccination is not the same as “almost fully vaccinated “, given the UK’s 70 million inhabitants.

Do you disagree?

Edited by Danderman123

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes. They normally are packed and it had taken 3 to 4 hours before. Today it was fairly empty. Wonder why, nope we know that answer.  She was informed she can now do it by mail.

I take it you went to the immigration center at Big C -Saphan Mai.  Yes, it is usually packed but many migrant workers use brokers to do their reports. That could be more in play with COVID.  I can't see many migrant workers relying on the mail for their 90 report.  Brokers will just make more money.

34 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

the UK with an almost fully vaccinated population just posted 20K+ infections in one day...”

44 million who have had at least one vaccination is not the same as “almost fully vaccinated “, given the UK’s 70 million inhabitants.

Do you disagree?

UK adult population around 52.3 million

Around 85% of these have had first jab

around 62% second jab, so more realistic to say 62% fully vaccinated

rollout to teenagers is expected to happen

Edited by meltonpie
  • Like 1

Not sure if this one will get bumped again but some on here keep talking about people dying from this or that. As I have previously stated more people die from coconut strikes than shark attacks per annum. We all know there are lots of ways people can die and this is factored in to annual death rates for countries. 18 months ago no country on this planet had Covid-19 deaths factored in. Now Covid-19 deaths are seen as excess mortallity.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Macrohistory said:

You talk math while some of us talk elementary logic.  And that logic is this:  You can't cite the death rate being "low" now as proof the virus isn't that dangerous so restrictions should be lifted, because -- and this is the hard part that right-wing libertarians have such a hard time understanding:  Restrictions are in place now.  Remove the restrictions and the death rate soars.  Get it?

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

You don’t get it.

maybe this will help, pretend you work for the King of France, it’s 1374, and the first cases of Black Death are popping up. Your statistics show that only .003 per cent of the population has succumbed to the Black Death, so severe preventive measures are not required.

A year later, a third of the population has died.

The takeaway from this example is measuring deaths from a pandemic before it’s over maynot be informative.

I actually never directly argued in this thread for decreased restrictions. Although I guess that could be construed as implicit in what I wrote. I'll defend the point anyway.

Remove the restrictions and death rate increases. No debate there.

What I would say in response to that is: ok, so what?

There is zero evidence that Covid will cause deaths as a percentage of population equivalent to Spanish Flu, let alone the Black Death. Fallout from Covid under various levels of restrictions is reasonably forecastable with statistical modeling (it's almost like this is a big data problem!).

You've gotta stop focusing on nominal numbers. Death and case counts are bigger now than in the past because population counts are way bigger. With problems of this scale, the right way to look at the data is with percentages. Five deaths out of a population of ten, waaaaaay worse than five million deaths out of a population of seven billion.

So if restrictions are lifted and death rates spike 10x from 0.001 to 0.01 of pop, is that unbearable? I don't know. I also don't believe that you know. I mean, I have my suspicions, but that's the entire point of actually doing the difficult task of optimizing policy for holistic response to the different facets of the crisis at hand. And part of that effort would have to be devoted to educating populations to move past the grade school level thinking of more deaths = the worstest, less deaths = the bestest.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Do you disagree?

The point I was making was that even with a much higher proportion of their population vaccinated, the UK still can report 20k+ infections in a day compared to Thailand's 5k in a day with much much fewer people vaccinated. This would suggest that the Thai numbers are way off.... would you disagree?