ASEANNOW.com - Thaivisa.com rebrands and expands beyond Thailand

webfact

The siren song that might currently be luring them onto the rocks of going too broad might be the idea that, if you can make a forum big enough, it can attract the interest of a whole new level of potential buyer.

For example, this programming forum sold for $1.8 billion last month:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/stack-overflow-sold-to-tech-investor-prosus-for-1-8-billion/

There is currently an extraordinary amount of US dollars swirling around the system, valuations are exploding, but you must have scale to be a worthwhile asset.

Edited by Poet

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some do, some don't.

This is one reason I've suggested a separate expansion to Latin America. In my experience most Latin Americans don't have decent Thaivisa.com level expat forums and the region is a massive expat draw.

Why don't you set up your own South American ex-pats website/forum ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why don't you set up your own South American ex-pats website/forum ?

Retired. Too lazy. What people mostly use there are very localized Facebook expat groups. Personally I detest Facebook and I can't be the only one. I know of a specific example there of one such local group where the controller of the group doesn't allow members on that have certain views on American politics that he doesn't like. It's the only game in town so those people are screwed. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, lucky2008 said:

Brand loyalty is everything. Who's the idiot who signed off on this? 

If it's not broke don't fix it, otherwise you'll end up breaking it. 

Has it occurred to you that is was already broken, or at the very least breaking. Change or die!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Retired. Too lazy. What people mostly use there are very localized Facebook expat groups. Personally I detest Facebook and I can't be the only one. I know of a specific example there of one such local group where the controller of the group doesn't allow members on that have certain views on American politics that he doesn't like, 

like AN  then (formerly known as TV)

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Retired. Too lazy. What people mostly use there are very localized Facebook expat groups. Personally I detest Facebook and I can't be the only one. I know of a specific example there of one such local group where the controller of the group doesn't allow members on that have certain views on American politics that he doesn't like, 

How is that different from ThaiVisa?!!

• Like 1

I am being asked to reset my password (password fails) every time I try to login.

After reset I can get in, but the new password will fail the next time.

I have used about 8 passwords so far.

Anyone else have the same problem?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

I am being asked to reset my password (password fails) every time I try to login.

After reset I can get in, but the new password will fail the next time.

I have used about 8 passwords so far.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Not  me,  had to put it  in once

????

6 minutes ago, Greenside said:

????

"Really, Really needs" is a pretty good way to filter out a sizable percentage of visitors.  I think any site designer who tried to sell me on the basis of "they'll just persist" would be out of the door pretty fast  ????

Also, it looks like emojis are out of action.  I guess I could always do a quick sketch and upload it.....

Kid Emoji.png

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Has it occurred to you that is was already broken, or at the very least breaking. Change or die!

If this was the case, and I have no idea if it was or not, how would a cosmetic change and broader geographical focus necessarily solve the issues that existed?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Greenside said:

To imply TV offers this is so blatantly false, even Trump would blush.  The search facility has been broken for years despite endless calls to have it fixed and I hope that if there are new investors involved in this "re-branding" that they insist more expertise is brought to bear on the actual usability of the site.  

It is easy, just use Google and add 'Thaivisa" to your word. God, I hope I have a hobby when I retire. . 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Personally I detest Facebook and I can't be the only one.

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You're not.

I have no love for Zuckerberg but, thanks to their sheer variety and healthy competition between them, Thailand expat Facebook groups tend to be far better than the forums. You can almost always find a group whose tone suits you and, in general, the moderators tend to be less ego-driven, leading to far more interesting discussions.

If you do come across a power-crazed moderator, simply follow other members to a better group. It is a much better experience overall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's very different. This character is doing personal background checks before approving people to "his" group. 

So, screw that guy. He and his select few buddies will have a lovely time together.

There are hundreds of other farang groups, both public and private. The main reason why the big groups get big is because the moderators value their users. Egos are a competive disadvantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Just clicked on the tabs of the other ASEAN countries linked above. Very few posts. And altogether, for all of the countries, there is a grand total of two (2) replies.

because they are new????

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thailand is moving toward being controlled by China, now the forum is being controlled by China.

What is the world coming to?

Would post laughing emoji, but site will not allow ha, ha ,ha.????????????????

They seem to be the last government in the world anyone wants to be controlled by, or spied on by. However nearly all governments are heinous. No doubt, the CCP is up to no good. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

because they are new

There have been occassionally active sections for at least Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines. They shouldn't be starting from zero.

• Like 1