Thailand reports 6,166 new COVID-19 cases, 50 more deaths

webfact

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The Sinovac vaccine is not crappy. There are plenty of studies to show that it's very powerful in keeping the infected from hospitalization and death. Just not very good at stopping transmission. If that's all that's on offer, take it. It's not like we currently have much of a choice in Thailand.

The point of my post is that the govt had a choice and I believe for ulterior motives chose wrongly. Sinovac has been “all that’s on offer” because the Thai govt refused to let the private sector import other vaccines. 

As for Sinovac not being crappy, ask Indonesia how it’s doing with their Sinovac program. “Indonesia defends use of China’s Sinovac amid surge in Delta variant. The country posted record highs of more than 25,000 infections and 539 deaths on Friday.”

This could be Thailand soon unless the Thai govt acts more responsibly asap.

Edited by ABCbangkok
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

10,000 cases per day by year’s end not out of the question, senior doctor says

Thailand could see 10,000 Covid-19 cases per day by the year’s end unless the vaccination rate picks up, a senior doctor told Thai Enquirer on Monday.

The country is currently seeing close to 6,000 cases per day with +6,082 cases on Monday. The number has risen steadily from some 2,000 cases per day in early May.

Now a doctor at Siriraj Hospital say that a combination of unrestricted travel and the Delta variant of the virus could have the country facing 10,000 cases a day by year’s end.

(more)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29372/10000-cases-per-day-by-years-end-not-out-of-the-question-senior-doctor-says/

I think the estimate above of 10K cases per day by the end of the year is meek...

The daily COVID case count for Thailand has more than doubled to 6,000+ in the past three weeks....   Do the math going forward if such increases continue.

June 15 -- 3,000 new cases

July 5 -- 6,166 new cases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29372/10000-cases-per-day-by-years-end-not-out-of-the-question-senior-doctor-says/

Wow did a senior Dr just tell the Gruberment to pull their heads out of their rear end (to put it politely)?

• Haha 2

The Public Health Ministry will increase the capacity of Bussarakham Field Hospital to 4,000 beds in a bid to cope with a possible surge in infections from the Delta variant of Covid-19. #covid19 #Nonthaburi #ThailandNews #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002841

• Like 1

Another vaccine registration site closes its doors:

As with so many things nowadays, the registration website completely buckled under the high demand - and once people were able to load the site, they found this message.
Quote Tweet

TNAMCOT English

The Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University has closed the online reservation system for Moderna vaccine as the slots were fully booked after its opening at 8.30 a.m. today. @TNAMCOT

TIMELINE: Chonburi informs residents who visited places in relation to most recent Covid -19 confirmed cases

1. Suppawan traditional Thai clothing at Wat Klang Market in Soi Ta Ngek, Makham Yong in Mueang Chonburi from June 22nd to July 1st from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M..
  2. Restaurant and noodle shop in Nongkham, Si Racha on June 27th to June 30th from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M..
  3. Freah market of Chao Phraya Surasak Municipality in Nongkham, Si Racha on June 27th from 5:00 P.M. to 5:30 P.M..

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/05/timeline-chonburi-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-most-recent-covid-19-confirmed-cases-6/

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1

America’s donated #COVID19 vaccines are intended to be distributed via WHO’s COVAX program - which #Thailand is not part of and yet has been listed as one of the intended recipient countries.
Quote Tweet
The Thai government said 20% of the 1.5 doses of Pfizer that the US is donating to Thailand will go to foreigners in the country. 20% of 1.5 million = 300,000 There are about 2.5-3 million foreigners living in Thailand. https://bangkokbiznews.com/news/detail/94

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand could see 10,000 Covid-19 cases per day by the year’s end unless the vaccination rate picks up, a senior doctor told Thai Enquirer on Monday.

The country is currently seeing close to 6,000 cases per day with +6,082 cases on Monday. The number has risen steadily from some 2,000 cases per day in early May.

Now a doctor at Siriraj Hospital say that a combination of unrestricted travel and the Delta variant of the virus could have the country facing 10,000 cases a day by year’s end.

(more)

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222821-10000-cases-per-day-by-year’s-end-not-out-of-the-question-senior-doctor-says/

With the rate at which the Virus is spreading due to the Delta variant, I would not at all be surprised to see 10,000 per Day by the end of August.

I really think its possible, but sincerely hope that I am proved wrong, I really do, but with the shortage of good Vaccines, and decisions made upon financial priority and not Public health, along with decisions that just defy any kind of sane reasoning, the future is bleak.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Seems around 6000 is the new normal, deaths higher too. I wonder if the deniers are now slowly starting to see things differently.

Lets hope that it stays around these numbers, though i think it might go up still. Especially with the delta variant. Deaths will be higher for sure as hospitals are already overflowing. There are stories of people on the streets waiting for beds. So all in all this level of infections is too high to cope with for a longer period.

Even the official numbers have now broken through resistance at the 6,000 a day mark and likely to power on up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The recovered number today was 2,534... so you're overestimating the actual recoveries by almost 500.  And that also means new cases reported today more than doubled the number of recoveries, which is simply unsustainable on an ongoing basis.

None of this is sustainable.

As I mentioned before, discharges will increase, although they won’t catch up to new infections until the number of new infections begins a sustained decrease.

19 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

The point of my post is that the govt had a choice and I believe for ulterior motives chose wrongly. Sinovac has been “all that’s on offer” because the Thai govt refused to let the private sector import other vaccines. 

As for Sinovac not being crappy, ask Indonesia how it’s doing with their Sinovac program. “Indonesia defends use of China’s Sinovac amid surge in Delta variant. The country posted record highs of more than 25,000 infections and 539 deaths on Friday.”

Before drawing conclusions, I would also ask Indonesia how many vaccinations have been administered. And I would be told about 55 million. Indonesia has a population of 275 million. Ya think if all those who were vaccinated with Coronavac instead were vaccinated instead with the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, the numbers would have looked very different? 

Once again, most, if not all other vaccines do a better job. But that doesn't make Coronavac crappy. Unless you think drastically cutting the odds of going to the hospital or dying means a vaccine is crappy.

Just now, Danderman123 said:

None of this is sustainable.

As I mentioned before, discharges will increase, although they won’t catch up to new infections until the number of new infections begins a sustained decrease.

Well, as long as there's space in the hospitals to accommodate new patients. Once they're full, discharges won't increase for months given the pace of vaccination. Unless some new dramatically effective therapy is found.

But even if hospitals could accommodate all those who need treatment, claiming that discharges will increase is just another way of saying that hospitalizations will increase. It's not good news that discharges will be increasing as long as that's due to increased hospitalizations. It's quite the opposite.

17 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Another vaccine registration site closes its doors:

As with so many things nowadays, the registration website completely buckled under the high demand - and once people were able to load the site, they found this message.
Quote Tweet

TNAMCOT English

The Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University has closed the online reservation system for Moderna vaccine as the slots were fully booked after its opening at 8.30 a.m. today. @TNAMCOT

Getting an alternative mNRA #COVID19 vaccine in #Thailand has become more difficult than getting a Playstation 5.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1411909493177294852

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Straight from 'Yes Minister' 

Also reminds me very much of the Monty Python. Cheese shop. (With no cheese available) 

Fine. If you want to pretend that there will be zero beds available for the 6,000 new cases tomorrow, up to you.

But, in Real Life, there will be about 3,000 beds available in what will be a bit of a scramble.

For the nitpickers, I am not stating that 6,000 new cases and 3,000 discharges tomorrow are a certainty, it’s just an estimate.

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The news comes as Chulabhorn Royal Academy Secretary-General, Professor Dr. Nithi Mahanonda, has proposed a reprioritisation of Thailand’s strategies to cope with the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

A polite way of saying that the static numbers from the government are a complete crock and that real case numbers are well on their way to 20,000 a day by now, if not more.

Look on the bright side. This inept government, its puppet master, the HISOs and all others that can only be described as sycophantic followers ensured that they were all prioritised and received the AZ vaccine and/or the Chinese vaccines way before anybody else in Thailand including frontline health workers as they think they are "special". As we now know those vaccines have limited and/or  minimal resistance  against the Delta strain.  Hopefully the "Karma" strain will now come into play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, as long as there's space in the hospitals to accommodate new patients. Once they're full, discharges won't increase for months given the pace of vaccination. Unless some new dramatically effective therapy is found.

But even if hospitals could accommodate all those who need treatment, claiming that discharges will increase is just another way of saying that hospitalizations will increase. It's not good news that discharges will be increasing as long as that's due to increased hospitalizations. It's quite the opposite.

Discharges increasing is just another way of saying that hospital admissions are increasing. There, I said it.

For the nitpickers, yes, I know that hospital admissions cannot increase once hospitals are full, but I don’t want to have a pointless debate over this.

"According to the document, one person said that making that decision would be admitting Sinovac was not effective."

because we all know that not admitting to a fact makes that fact disappear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

(more)

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222821-10000-cases-per-day-by-year’s-end-not-out-of-the-question-senior-doctor-says/

Only 10000?

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And there you have it, words that will be denied later or said to have been taken out of context, It just doesn't get any better than this now does it.  Infighting, backstabbing, blamed being laid upon someone else, and yet no one will accept responsibility and stand up and admit the buck stops with them.

Its a deplorable and dangerous decision that smacks in the face science and the welfare of the countries frontline people in this pandemic.

You need no study to tell us that the doctors and nurses our the most valuable asset we have in combating this surge. They are the most at risk group of getting re infected despite being vaccinated with Sinovac with this already happening across the hotspots here and plenty of evidence abroad.

The government has the opportunity to prioritize them for a pfizer booster to protect them and protect the hospitals from having large groups of health workers quarantined because of re infection.

Instead it opts out of this decision to save face for using the less effective Sinovac and avoid further vaccine hesitancy with its use, instead of being bold and communicating effectively why they are making this life saving decision.

Absolute cowards risking the lives of of people who are turned away from hospitals because of lack of staff due to infection.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1