Not again! Phuket Sandbox tourists being gouged by taxis - one way rides 1,000 baht+

webfact

4 hours ago, Espanol said:

THB 800 to Patong Palmyra Resort, one way from the airport.

And I cannot choose, because I am obliged to contract with the hotel the transportation service from the airport, if I want to request the COE.

Only 490 bahts, same service to same hotel in "Hello Phuket" App.

You can choose the service you want as long as it is SHA+.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

Another reason to never go there for me anyway , Phuket has always been known as a rip off place where most foreigners have to pay a lot more for everything and this comes from people i know who have been and will never go back .

YES is is a Sand-pit for your wallet. all tourist are welcome now hand over this over your money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You can choose the service you want as long as it is SHA+.

How did all the mafia ran taxis get SHA+ overnight? Is it the cab that get's certified or the driver which can change 2/3 per day..

21 hours ago, webfact said:

One poster had said they had been asked for a lot more than they expected by their hotel and wanted to know if they could use the SHA+ transport.

Others chipped in with tales of 800 baht (to Patong), 900 baht (to Karon) and even 1,350 baht rides. The last of these was one way from the airport to Kata Noi that the poster said would normally be 600 baht

Rip-off Phuket.... the old normal is back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, harada said:

They seem to be oblivious of the effects of social media, give it a couple of months and the numbers will start dropping, then they’ll start blaming someone else, same same BS.

I always thought the concept of "face" and the internet would be the demise of LOS......the truth is always revealed, sooner or later

• Like 1

Anyone shocked about this as I knew it was coming-like shooting fish in a barrel..

This is why i considered the 7 days there but declined when it went to 14 on that rock..I first went there in 2008

and thought id stay a month on the island, after a week I was ready to go....as I would do the BKK asq as I pay

a flat fee for the 14 instead of that island cash grab as they control what happens there---such as these taxis--food costs--PCR scam etc--I dont need a beach

So what do locals do when they fly there? call a friend? or they get hustled too or the thai price?

If I did the 7 days and landed there Id look for the fancy hotel drivers with the sign, wait for the customer to greet them then offer them some cash to

share a ride into town as its likely a van...then walk to my hotel.....worst they could say is no....what harm is it to them and the driver gets some sangsom cash! ????

But the best part would be waving to the taxi mafia as I jump in the hotel van and drive off into the sunset, as slack-jawed taxi jackholes look on...peeved ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made the mistake of going there,,,once..      Went to buy a T shirt at some markets..400 baht.No thanks.

Offered a minute sized crayfish, some call them lobsters, 1500 baht.   Baht bus to my hotel, wanted 600 baht, I walked there in 10 minutes.

No customers sir.have to prices up.. Just  die    thieving sods.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If the hotels where smart they would have arranged transport for these people that are being back on their island and they are so happy to have back . They should jump thru hoops to leep them happy and come.back next time but as soon as the room is booked and the roomservice is paid for they do !@#$ all . They have had months to plan this to go smoothly but after 1 day it's all down the drain(ok most of us knew it would be even before it started but hey bennefit of the doubt) . 

Sure, point taken.

But keep in mind that there's a very long history on this subject in Phuket and many incidents where hotels/authorities tried to organize alternative local transport and were blocked (even with frightening/violent actions) by the taxi operators. Even incidents when taxi mafia gangs tried to (with some success) totally block entry to some hotels. And violence and demands for money, against tourists for using alternate vehicles.

Also in the picture sanctions/punishment of the taxi drivers has been announced many times but very little to zero actions actually taken by the authorities. And that included police being afraid to/not interested to take real action. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1

Their greedy heads rear up again.

It's the same in Chiang Mai, the Songtaew mafia protested against a cheaper public transportation like MRT or regular public buses so they can rip-off tourists.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Made the mistake of going there,,,once..      Went to buy a T shirt at some markets..400 baht.No thanks.

Great Scott! 400 baht for an item of clothing?!

Just out of curiosity, how much do you normally pay for your clothes?