Voluntary full lockdown proposed by RCPT chair amid surging COVID-19 cases

webfact

21 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Have you been out in Bangkok lately? I’m actually working in my office as I can walk and it’s empty anyway. Everything is pretty much empty. People are already locking down. And that’s good. 

Sounds like a living hell. Sounds like prison. No thanks. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I don't know about voluntary lockdown, but as of Monday my village is now firmly locked down involuntarily. A 20 strong police and 5 or 6 community volunteers now control the only road in to the village.

We had this for a while last time around but this time I only found out when my delivery driver called to say he was not being allowed in and he had to leave my package with the volunteers.

Chat with the poo yai and this is in place for at least 30 days and will be reviewed after.

We have been lucky to escape much of covid here but recently it's reported 29 cases in Sangkhla Buri district and 1 in the village itself so I am asssuming this is a local enforcement order.

Now we have to get an essential travel letter from the poo yai to go out and get back in. No non residents allowed. Every one being turned around.

Your village is stricter than ours. We have the roadblock but people are allowed in but if you are from out of the province you have to quarantine for 2 weeks. I was going for an eye operation in Suphan Buri but was told that I would have to self quarantine when I came back. The self quarantine would be allowed as we are on 2 rai in a semi rural area, otherwise field hospital.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

As I pointed out, critical care bed occupancy in Bangkok is full. In fact it was full weeks ago. That wasn't the case before.

comprehension? Beds are full yes I agreed & did you note why they are full?

Never mind it is quite plain to see & those who cannot never will or refuse to do so as they run amuck yelling

the sky is falling ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

That’s nonsense. Surging covid cases are surging covid cases. A test doesn’t just turn positive without the virus present.

555 duh I should let that continue to whoosh over your head ????

Or you can munch on this...........

Before in 2019 & 2020 they did little or really no testing

So say they did 5 tests previously & only found 2 positive

Now they did 5 million tests & found 2 million positive

What changed> Hint...Yes tests did not magically change to positive as you correctly sarcastically stated

But on the other hand when testing is actually done in great numbers you see greater/wider spectrum of results

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, meechai said:
53 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

That’s nonsense. Surging covid cases are surging covid cases. A test doesn’t just turn positive without the virus present.

555 duh I should let that continue to whoosh over your head ????

Or you can munch on this...........

Before in 2019 & 2020 they did little or really no testing

So say they did 5 tests previously & only found 2 positive

Now they did 5 million tests & found 2 million positive

What changed> Hint...Yes tests did not magically change to positive as you correctly sarcastically stated

But on the other hand when testing is actually done in great numbers you see greater/wider spectrum of results

In addition, the 'surge' testing is also revealing, or rather quantifying the rate of asymptomatic infection. That didn't seem to be a significant, trackable metric last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

In addition, the 'surge' testing is also revealing, or rather quantifying the rate of asymptomatic infection. That didn't seem to be a significant, trackable metric last year.

Asymptomatic carriers of Covid can and will infect others (who may not stay asymptomatic) if they don’t know they have Covid (or self-quarantine or practice the usual measures voluntarily).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Good, will be one less on the streets then. 

Oh I'm out on the streets...just not in BKK presently. However will be in BKK soon and will be out on the streets and in the malls as much as I please. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meechai said:

Surging Covid cases are strictly speaking surging testing

If they had been testing since Late 2019 early 2020 they would have found just as many cases

Indeed. Don’t get why some don’t get this simple fact, particularly those ingratiating expats who continually bore us all with how well Thailand has done. It hasn’t. It just hasn’t been proactive in uncovering it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Indeed. Don’t get why some don’t get this simple fact, particularly those ingratiating expats who continually bore us all with how well Thailand has done. It hasn’t. It just hasn’t been proactive in uncovering it. 

Apart from the fact that critical care hospital beds in Bangkok were filled weeks ago, it's known that the Delta variant is more transmissible than earlier variants. The onus is on you and other to prove that despite that fact, contagion isn't increasing. Good luck with that.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai people to enter a voluntary full lockdown

Never going to happen.  They had to ban alcohol during the mandated lockdown last year to stop people meeting up to party.

Many Thais have grown weary of anti-covid practices.  Besides, only foreigners have covid anyway...

He said that the number of patients being admitted has been increasing steadily since June 19th, to almost 60,000 cases now, which is about 10,000 more than the peak in June.

What is he on about or is it bad reporting?

Increasing to 60,000 cases now. Is that per day???????? Per week? 

It certainly isn't the total number of cases or the number of present admissions.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The chairman of the Royal College of Physicians of Thailand, Air Marshal Dr. Anutra Chittinandana, is asking Thai people to enter a voluntary full lockdown, to protect themselves against COVID-19, in the light of the disturbing number of COVID patients in general hospitals.

That's painting with a wide brush.
Absolutely silly out in the rural rice-field where farmers work in the outdoors in fresh air and UV light.
Those within the confined of large cities where population density is high?  No Thai is going to self-lockdown.  If anything they will take there viruses and head for rural Thailand to spread it far and wide - the the government will do nothing. 
Here in my neck of the wood, if anyone shows up in our village from a Red-Zone their presence is forwarded on to the village heads and they are offered the option to quarantine of leave.  The villagers aren't putting up with their ineffective central government.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

My cousin just got out of Thailand in time. He says this delta strain, and some others will likely turn

Thailand into something resembling India.  Good Luck, and keep your masks on.  I think the pandemic will

become very real for a lot more of you in the near future. I hope I am wrong,  but time will tell, won't it.

Geezer

Who is your cousin...Nostradamus? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

I don't know about voluntary lockdown, but as of Monday my village is now firmly locked down involuntarily. A 20 strong police and 5 or 6 community volunteers now control the only road in to the village.

We had this for a while last time around but this time I only found out when my delivery driver called to say he was not being allowed in and he had to leave my package with the volunteers.

Chat with the poo yai and this is in place for at least 30 days and will be reviewed after.

We have been lucky to escape much of covid here but recently it's reported 29 cases in Sangkhla Buri district and 1 in the village itself so I am asssuming this is a local enforcement order.

Now we have to get an essential travel letter from the poo yai to go out and get back in. No non residents allowed. Every one being turned around.

At the weekend the Police were turning people back at the Thong Pha Phum check point and sending them back to Sangkhla Buri!!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

will be in BKK soon and will be out on the streets and in the malls as much as I please. 

Even though it “Sounds like a living hell. Sounds like prison. No thanks.”? Interesting. Can’t be that bad after all. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Have you been out in Bangkok lately? I’m actually working in my office as I can walk and it’s empty anyway. Everything is pretty much empty. People are already locking down. And that’s good. 

Where in Bangkok are you?  Ploenchit/Chitlom/Siam (and the BTS) are still pretty busy, with office-workers and malls.

22 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

No Im Not in Bangkok, but where i live  have  street markets  in nearly every Soi which are  full daily ...