Governor orders probe into Phuket airport taxi fares

webfact

1625627836_1-org.jpg

Governor Narong has tasked officials to investigate the fares charged by taxis operating out of Phuket International Airport. Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew has ordered an investigation into the fares charged by taxi drivers operating out of Phuket International Airport.

The order came at a meeting on Monday (July 5) to discuss the case of a foreign tourist sharing a message online in a popular Facebook group focussed on Phuket Sandbox asking about the price of taxi fares from Phuket Airport to a hotel in Patong.

The tourist explained that the price of B900 had been given, and wanted to know whether or not that was too expensive.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-orders-probe-into-phuket-airport-taxi-fares-80587.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-07-07

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is a simple way of dealing with this, which will never happen.

Every taxi must use the meter. Every taxi must have a sign saying, in English, that if the driver refuses to use the meter call ***, which will be answered by an English-speaker.

It won't work because the driver will remove the sign. It will not work because no-one will do spot checks to see that the sign is there. It won't work because no-one will answer the phone, and if they do they will be told to call the tourist police (as happened to me in Bangkok), And it will also not work because, as also happened to me in Bangkok, the driver if forced to use the meter will simply take the long way round to generate what he wanted to charge anyway. And, if someone does answer the phone, nothing will be done even if a note is taken of the driver's number.

It won't work because 95% of private hire vehicles in Phuket don't have meters. Mostly supposedly fixed cost "airport limos", vans and tuk tuks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Any public hire vehicle must be fitted with meters. Which they won't be.

Really? Last time I got a tuk tuk in Bangkok, I don't recall seeing any meter. Or are there exceptions to your rule?

Taxi / Tuk Tuk mob has already taken over Patongs roads again with their tin boxes and stone age cars. This scum runs the place and it will never change. It sucks big time.

• Like 1