First tourist under ‘Phuket Sandbox’ reopening test positive for COVID-19

snoop1130

99575-1.jpg

Thailand has recorded the first case of COVID-19 among foreign tourists entering the kingdom through the resort island of Phuket under the “Phuket Sandbox” scheme, which has been welcoming fully vaccinated and COVID-negative international arrivals without entering a quarantine since July 1st.

A foreign tourist, who flew to Phuket yesterday from Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, tested positive for COVID-19 last night and has been admitted to hospital for treatment, prompting a two-week quarantine of 13 other passengers travelling on the same flight.

Phuket provincial health chief Dr Kusak Kukiattikoon said this morning (Wednesday), that the tourist arrived at Phuket international airport at about 12.30pm, after having a swab test upon arrival, and went straight to his hotel to await the result.

Planning to visit Phuket? Book your Sandbox hotel here

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-tourist-under-phuket-sandbox-reopening-test-positive-for-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-07-07

Just now, kralledr said:

Thailand will never understand it, it will never be 0 cases...

Vaccinated mixing with vaccinated isn't that the plan regardless of positive cases elimination is impossible at the point.

• Like 1

The UAE’s vaccination campaign, one of the fastest in the world, has relied heavily on the Sinopharm shot! Dont say its bad but nice to know whitch vaccine infected one had get! And is he/she even from UAE?

• Like 1

go Thailand, open up the country and you will not have to worry about the economy cause every one will have caught covid-19 and varients and died due to no vaccine!!!!

i went up sukhumvit road today from soi.50 to past terminal 21 to go to my bank.

i was in total shock how few people were out and the amount of stores and restaurants closed.

the malls totaly void of people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodknock said:

go Thailand, open up the country and you will not have to worry about the economy cause every one will have caught covid-19 and varients and died due to no vaccine!!!!

i went up sukhumvit road today from soi.50 to past terminal 21 to go to my bank.

i was in total shock how few people were out and the amount of stores and restaurants closed.

the malls totaly void of people.

Yep, Bangkok is a ghost/zombie town!

RAZZ

Doesn't the sandbox rules say you can enter without quarantining?Oh it's a bit like saying you've legalised pot but haven't, now I get it they're saying they can't be trusted but taking your money first like always ,"trust me my friend"!How many times did I hear that in my backpacking days.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

About 1400 tourists arrived to Phuket first 5 days of sandbox program. 

14 of them are already in quarantine and will expend their holidays in a quarantine hotel.

That means that 1% of tourists arriving to Phuket are already in quarantine. And that after only 5 days.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

tested positive for COVID-19 last night and has been admitted to hospital for treatment, prompting a two-week quarantine of 13 other passengers travelling on the same flight.

'admitted to hospital for treatment'. 

Assuming he was fully vaccinated and asymptomatic, what 'treatment' are they going to give him exactly? The world has lost the plot...

• Like 1

This whole sandpit thing has only one objective - money for a few power mongers in Phuket 

we have the governor letting on he knows nothing about the abuse of tourists on the Island being ripped off 

I have been to Phuket once in 16 years and would never set foot in the place again - and right now I will double down on that, in fact if they paid me to go there for free they can shove it, the greedy ruined the place a long time ago - what a shame 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sharp said:

CAN YOU IMAGINE BEING ONE OF THESE PEOPLE

prompting a two-week quarantine of 13 other passengers travelling on the same flight.

Must be annoying if you knew you weren't sitting anywhere near him on the plane.

Most times people on tour groups don't get to meet each other until you all rendezvous in an airports arrivals hall.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sharp said:

prompting a two-week quarantine of 13 other passengers travelling on the same flight.

Considering there were only 14 people on that flight that was a private charter or private plane. Probably all from Emirates. I wouldn't worry too much about rich people dealing with the 2 week quarantine in terms of costs , Arab tourist is the the biggest spender at the end of the 2 week vacation.

I recon they are extremely <deleted> right now being locked in a hotel room as time  is more important than the hotel room costs. 

Anyway once this blows up , the bubble tourism strategy of Thailand is pretty much DOA. 

Edited by anon7854
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sharp said:

this guy came in from bkk airport and used a local airline  not overseas airline

3 hours ago, smedly said:

This whole sandpit thing has only one objective - money for a few power mongers in Phuket 

we have the governor letting on he knows nothing about the abuse of tourists on the Island being ripped off 

I have been to Phuket once in 16 years and would never set foot in the place again - and right now I will double down on that, in fact if they paid me to go there for free they can shove it, the greedy ruined the place a long time ago - what a shame 

As most of the hotels and other businesses where or are still closed they are welcoming all people they can get in a save way. (this includes my own business)

You been only once in Phuket in 16 years time so i hardly think that you will be missed ????

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

'admitted to hospital for treatment'. 

Assuming he was fully vaccinated and asymptomatic, what 'treatment' are they going to give him exactly? The world has lost the plot...

I believe non, only for observation.