Thailand reports another daily record of 9,326 COVID-19 cases, 91 more deaths

webfact

9 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s not like that in every country in the world though, is it? Not all research requires or receives government grants. 

Ok but there always must be any fund to pay millions of dollars for performing the research.

14 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The essence of what I am saying, is that it would be foolish to vaccinate individuals with Sputnik, on the basis that Sputnik offers the best protection against the delta strain, without first independently verifying the accuracy of that claim.

The word "independently" suggests that this must be the US-funded or a UK-funded research. Because the Russian government funded verification is not "independent" in your opinion for sure. There are no any fund in US or UK who are willing to pay millions of dollars to prove that Sputnik V is working for sure. Just because I can't imagine any reason for them to pay such a huge money for such a useless purpose. So any "independent" verification is simply impossible.

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I wonder why they have been separated though? Since the cases were found through a pro active test, it suggests that the children were asymptomatic. So why have they been sent to a hospital? Surely isolated with the parents in adjoining rooms would suffice? Or parents in an adjoining room at the hospital.

I posted previously, if my child was found to be Covid positive, I would take precautions, but no way would I be separated.

I wonder what country they flew in from? If they didn’t catch it here, then it’s probably the dominant strain from their home country.

They tested negative before they arrived and after they arrived then positive on day 6-7 so who knows where until they do genomic testing.It's not a good look already but if genomic test shows it's the same as other cases found in Phuket the that would be even worse if that's possible.I didn't think they could have screwed it up this bad but they have certainly proven me wrong.If the kids are sick and need hospital treatment then all the more reason to have the parents present.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Ok but there always must be any fund to pay millions of dollars for performing the research.

The word "independently" suggests that this must be the US-funded or a UK-funded research. Because the Russian government funded verification is not "independent" in your opinion for sure. There are no any fund in US or UK who are willing to pay millions of dollars to prove that Sputnik V is working for sure. Just because I can't imagine any reason for them to pay such a huge money for such a useless purpose. So any "independent" verification is simply impossible.

The phase 3 study is all thats needed, it does not matter who funds that study, it can be Russia, the institute or whoever, nobody really cares on that.

Once its published then it is peer reviewed by independent experts, that does not cost money, its done online the experts do this for free.

1 minute ago, friendofthai said:

Sure, money is required. That’s why, in the case of vaccines, pharmaceutical companies fund millions of dollars of research. But it’s not just pharmaceutical companies, look at all the university research units that exist.

it seems you have a chip on your shoulder about the USA and UK, but I won’t go there. But to be clear, the issue is not that there is nobody willing to verify Sputnik’s claims about efficacy against Delta. From the article that YOU provided to me, the issue is that The manufacturers of Sputnik have not made their own research available for review.

let me add, I know nothing about Sputnik and it’s delta efficacy, other than what is in the article you provided to me. If you can provide other articles they would be interesting to read.

But bottom line, whether Sputnik or any other vaccine, claims made by the manufacturer should be independently verified. I can’t see any reasonable argument against that.

12 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

in another thread on this forum. Thailand says it doesn’t have the data.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/russias-sputnik-v-vaccine-not-yet-approved-in-thailand-due-to-lack-of-data/

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There's this:

Masks Block Virus Particles but Not Entirely

Face masks can reduce the spread of airborne particles from respiratory viruses such as COVID-19, but even the most secure professional face coverings don’t eliminate everything, according to a new study published Wednesday in mSphere, an open access journal from the American Society for Microbiology.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201022/masks-block-virus-particles-but-not-entirely

The U.S. CDC is out with a new study on this as well, looking at the impact of people wearing triple ply cotton masks indoors in a room with and without running HEPA air purifiers:

Efficacy of Portable Air Cleaners and Masking for Reducing Indoor Exposure to Simulated Exhaled SARS-CoV-2 Aerosols — United States, 2021

"A simulated infected meeting participant who was exhaling aerosols was placed in a room with two simulated uninfected participants and a simulated uninfected speaker."

--Using two HEPA air cleaners close to the aerosol source reduced the aerosol exposure of the uninfected participants and speaker by up to 65%.

--Without the HEPA air cleaners, universal masking reduced the combined mean aerosol concentration by 72%.

--The combination of the two HEPA air cleaners and universal masking reduced overall exposure by up to 90%.

"The face masks used on the headforms were three-ply cotton cloth face masks with ear loops (Defender, HanesBrands Inc.)"   So not even any of the fancy N or KN type masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e1.htm

About time.................this should allow more hospitals to test people.

Finally MOPH allows hospitals to give Covid tests (incl. rapid antigen tests) without requirement to admit all Covid-positive patients. Guideline: admit patients of advanced age or underlying health conditions if there are beds; healthy patients go to home isolation.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1413864026392580096

• Like 2

and yet they fear monger the returning tourists and expats that are all vaccinated while less than 5 % of the country is vaccinated.  Money rules in Thailand and the dictator government is in no hurry to allocate part of their budget.  The hospitals and care workers are getting stuck dealing with the sick.  Sad Thailand.  15 trips there, and every year the government just gets worst.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

About time.................this should allow more hospitals to test people.

Finally MOPH allows hospitals to give Covid tests (incl. rapid antigen tests) without requirement to admit all Covid-positive patients. Guideline: admit patients of advanced age or underlying health conditions if there are beds; healthy patients go to home isolation.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1413864026392580096

A big step forward to being able to quantify the problem. Not a complete solution without proactive testing, but a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

Just saw this on another thread.................keep in mind this is with western vaccines not the Chinese stuff

Covid-19: French scientists warn 95 percent may need to be vaccinated to stop Delta variant

A panel of scientists who advise the French government on health warned Friday that as many as 95 percent of people might need to be vaccinated to dam the spread of the Delta variant of Covid-19.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210709-covid-19-french-scientists-warn-95-percent-may-need-to-be-vaccinated-to-stop-delta-variant

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

in another thread on this forum. Thailand says it doesn’t have the data.

This is similar to what happened to Brazil which said that there was something wrong with data provided after the US pressured the country to reject Sputnik V :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/03/16/hhs-brazil-sputnik-russia/

About 1 week earlier to the Thailand`s "doesn’t have the data" claim we saw that an US official visited Thailand and they were talking about vaccines with... surprise... a military official of Thailand (whose job is obviously to address military threats).

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. CDC is out with a new study on this as well, looking at the impact of people wearing triple ply cotton masks indoors in a room with and without running HEPA air purifiers:

Efficacy of Portable Air Cleaners and Masking for Reducing Indoor Exposure to Simulated Exhaled SARS-CoV-2 Aerosols — United States, 2021

"A simulated infected meeting participant who was exhaling aerosols was placed in a room with two simulated uninfected participants and a simulated uninfected speaker."

--Using two HEPA air cleaners close to the aerosol source reduced the aerosol exposure of the uninfected participants and speaker by up to 65%.

--Without the HEPA air cleaners, universal masking reduced the combined mean aerosol concentration by 72%.

--The combination of the two HEPA air cleaners and universal masking reduced overall exposure by up to 90%.

"The face masks used on the headforms were three-ply cotton cloth face masks with ear loops (Defender, HanesBrands Inc.)"   So not even any of the fancy N or KN type masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e1.htm

I am an engineer that has worked in clean rooms for the aerospace industry.  Wear our little bunny suits.  read up on class 10,000 clean rooms.  Not surprisingly, the hospitals that use clean room techniques in their operating rooms, which of course drastically reduce the amount of airborne particles, have the lowest infection rates.  Of course.  The air born particle elimination or reduction inhibits or reduces the movement of the bacteria and virus particles.  This is nothing new.  It is just an application of techniques used in one manufacturing and assembly industry to the medical world.  But it costs money to maintain these levels of cleanliness and to train people in the protocols. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

The purpose of phase 3 trials is not to convince others. It's to make sure that the vaccine is safe enough to use.

4 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

This is similar to what happened to Brazil which said that there was something wrong with data provided after the US pressured the country to reject Sputnik V :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/03/16/hhs-brazil-sputnik-russia/

About 1 week earlier to the Thailand`s "doesn’t have the data" claim we saw that an US official visited Thailand and they were talking about vaccines with... surprise... a military official of Thailand (whose job is obviously to address military threats).

Ah, I see. Your argument isn’t about Sputnik, you are just anti USA. Time to stop then I think. You are welcome to your own opinion.

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Kid kidnapping or just kid-napping?  You did that intentionally, right?

I've hit the laughing emoji but it still didn't make me get it, yeah I did it intentionally but I'm not sure what I intentionally did,I must be as thick as the brick I use as a face mask which stops the particles going into the petri dish but doesn't seem to stop fleeting airborne transmission.

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Your argument isn’t about Sputnik, you are just anti USA.

I see just a standard set of tricks that competitors use against each other. It is normal (not bad) that the US (or any other country) behaves so with its competitors.

46 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There's this:

Masks Block Virus Particles but Not Entirely

Face masks can reduce the spread of airborne particles from respiratory viruses such as COVID-19, but even the most secure professional face coverings don’t eliminate everything, according to a new study published Wednesday in mSphere, an open access journal from the American Society for Microbiology.

Cotton masks, surgical masks and N95 masks reduced the transmission of coronavirus droplets but didn’t completely block all particles, the University of Tokyo research team found. However, the transmission between two people was much less when both people wore masks.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201022/masks-block-virus-particles-but-not-entirely

That's what I'm talking about but you'll have to bear with me until I decipher all that info as I see some wriggle room with some of the statements in there and the fact that it's not the delta variant they are using and they even say they don't know if the limited amounts that do get through are enough to cause illness or an infection as they are using crash test dummies but they do get positive swabs which in the real world is enough to say someone has covid.It is none the less a very good find well done.I was taught to ever plead guilty even when caught with a smoking gun in your hand so I'll get back to you shortly.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They still have Kho Samui up their sleeve.

Seems "Pattaya move forward" needs re think with MANY folk lined up for food handouts on Pattaya beach.

I'm sure they can move to plan B or C

Koh Tao also, there's a couple of prominent families there I hear waiting for some new victims.............555

• Haha 1

A post linking to a very interesting opinion piece in the Bangkok Post on questions about the legitimacy of Thailand's COVID vaccination program has been removed, as the Post does not allow links here to its content, nor do the forum's rules.