Thailand reports 8,656 new COVID-19 cases, 80 more deaths

webfact

45 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

We have to be careful not to embrace a single study as being definitive.

If Sinovac is worthless, why are Chile’s numbers improving?

Possibly because the Delta variant is still in the early stages in Chile?

Chile raises COVID-19 spending, urges citizen caution with Delta variant circulating

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/chile-raises-covid-19-spending-urges-citizen-caution-with-delta-variant-2021-06-28/

Anyway, in the coming weeks, it should provide a useful insight into how effective the Sinovac vaccine is in preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

This is what all the vaccines are meant to do. Sinovac does not do this effectively with the Delta variant evidenced by what I previously said about doubled vacced people becoming seriously and some dying. 

But no vaccine provides absolute protection against people becoming seriously ill and dying. Not even the mRNA vaccines after 2 doses are administered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I actuallly did something I'm rather ashamed of; I actually scrutinized the chart provided by bkkbrian. Most of the past Sundays showed at least a small rise. One Sunday had a big one. It was more mixed for Tuesday  with 2 big drops and a couple of small rises. It looks entirely random to me.

I think we give too much credit to the testing system and data collection and consolidation if we think it comes in evenly from all across the country and is then included immediately.

nothing in Thailand seems to be pan provincial in terms of data, so although possible, I’d be surprised if it’s the case with Covid stats.

consequently, random blips and dips are almost certain to occur.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

no less memorable than the 7 nurses that died on the front line fighting this deadly plague

RIP to them all

Yes. Would also be interesting to know if they'd been vaccinated recently, and with which vaccine.?

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yesterday, we had a ThaiPBS news report based on Thai Red Cross testing saying that the protection conveyed by the Sinovac vaccine, while starting out OK, appears to then weaken dramatically thereafter and ends up being little protection against the Delta variant.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sinovac-vaccine-barely-effective-against-alpha-or-delta-covid-19-variants/

As with many news reports here, the ThaiPBS report was based on a Chula doctor's Facebook post in Thai, and wasn't very clear in the details of the findings and just what they meant.

So I went back today and looked at the doctor's original TH post on Facebook, where he had the following graphic that I'm trying to interpret and understand.  If anyone has any feel for such things, please do chime in:

Here's the Google Translate version I got of the doctor's actual pertinent comments in TH regarding the Sinovac vaccine:

Screenshot_11.jpg.b61269d4a62c15fee88e553ea2cc5ee2.jpg

And here's the accompanying chart he posted on Facebook with his comments:

Screenshot_9.jpg.3ed7bd540241ce8f4e0e0fe55638ac8c.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thiravat.h/posts/4668479593185558

All in all, this info -- and all the outside world data emerging re the Sinovac vaccine -- doesn't sound very promising, especially in regards to its ability to protect against the Delta variant.

It looks like the most effective protocol listed in this study against the Delta variant is 2 doses of Sinovac followed by 1 of Astra Zeneca. Of course, it didn't look into what the effects of 3 doses of AZ would be.

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Begs the question of why there are unvaccinated medical staff one month after the mass rollout and more than two months after vaccines arrived in Thailand prior to the mass rollout. They were supposed to be the first group vaccinated. The PM, cabinet and MP’s appear to have got theirs before June.

I believe it was also noted that 97% of Thai health care workers had been vaccinated. Which seems to show that being vaccinated has provided health care workers with very significant protection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Begs the question of why there are unvaccinated medical staff one month after the mass rollout and more than two months after vaccines arrived in Thailand prior to the mass rollout. They were supposed to be the first group vaccinated. The PM, cabinet and MP’s appear to have got theirs before June.

Of course and we also know they can be very creative with their classification of being vaccinated.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Three more Phuket “sandbox” tourists found infected with COVID-19

Three more foreign tourists, who arrived on Thailand’s resort island of Phuket under its “sandbox” scheme, have been infected with COVID-19, according to local health authorities.

Phuket’s provincial health office reported yesterday (Sunday) that the newly infected tourists came from Myanmar, South Africa and Switzerland.

The infected Myanmar tourist is the mother of two previously infected children, aged 8 and 9, who tested positive on Sunday, while two other tourists tested positive during a second swab test after staying on Phuket. All of them have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-more-phuket-sandbox-tourists-found-infected-with-covid-19/

Same question as with the two children. Did they bring it in, or catch it here. I think that makes a big difference, at least in my mind. If the latter, well, just how many cases are there in Phuket? If the former, how many locals did they infect?

the follow up question is, what strain do they have? 

hope they can see the Patong firework show and Laguna breakdance performance from their quarantine hotel, otherwise they are missing out on the highlights of their holiday.

the good news is that after 3 days of incessant rain and thick cloud, today finally sees some patches of blue sky and a little bit of sun.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Bet wasn't infected with Delta.

Did you make follow up inquiry.

Somewhat surprising as at that time you were advocating that schools should be open.

At that time everywhere was open (except bars)!  No, I didn't make any follow up enquiry, other than to enquire about the student's health (after the first day he was asymptomatic, but spent 14 nights in hospital).  Not sure why you're surprised? My views on closing schools haven't changed.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I believe it was also noted that 97% of Thai health care workers had been vaccinated. Which seems to show that being vaccinated has provided health care workers with very significant protection.

Vaccinated, or “vaccinated”?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

the follow up question is, what strain do they have? 

This is the biggest question I see as the Delta variant only takes 3 to 4 days to rear its ugly head and make people ill.

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Several citizens were waiting for free rapid antigen tests at the Covid-19 testing station near Thupatemee Stadium in Pathum Thani province on Monday morning.

https://twitter.com/Thenationth/status/1414448265748049928

ImageImage

So much for social distancing!!!  Wonder how many people pick up the virus waiting in these queues?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

So much for social distancing!!!  Wonder how many people pick up the virus waiting in these queues?

Indeed. The Thai tribal - collective mentality is one explanation for these scenes.

40 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Anyone who doesn't understand that Thailand is not testing enough is either daft or has an agenda, or maybe both. 

A daft agenda?Now that sounds a lot like what a group of people some are calling the Thai government has!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Another view of your photo you posted earlier TR, 'tents under a highway'

Faced with a shortage of hospital beds, a community in Klongtoey, Bangkok decided to isolate #COVID19 patients in tents under a highway #Thailand cr คลองเตยเเลนด์ https://facebook.com/Klongtoeyland/

https://twitter.com/Tan_Hui_Yee/status/1414415099708600322

Thank you for the full info.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Vaccinated, or “vaccinated”?

Just tracking back to a helpful post a few days ago by "tallguyjohninbkk" the chart and link are there.

"MoPH also released another chart showing their progress in vaccinating various priority groups in Bangkok province:, with more than 16% of high risk medical personnel still not having received their second shot as yet."

https://aseannow.com/profile/58284-tallguyjohninbkk/content/page/3/?type=forums_topic_post

The government has opened three Covid-testing centers to facilitate rapid antigen tests, which will help hospitals shorten the waiting period for tests. The goal is to test around 10,000-12,000 people per day for 1-2 weeks at these centers (1/2)

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1414455581620932608

These centers include the ones in: - Thupatemi Stadium - Rajamangala National Stadium - The Government Complex On Wednesday, another center will open in Kiak Kai at the Air Defense Artillery Division. (2/2)