Sadly, COVID is here to stay

AustinRacing

My company employs a huge number of migrant workers. Mostly youngish and uneducated. Significant COVID infections. They keep it to themselves because of fear of persecution, prefer traditional medicine, and believe it or not some like to spread it to Thais as payback for being treated poorly. 
My local mom/pop shop kept their staff’s infection secret fearing loss of business. 
soooooo, the only way to irradiate it is by COMPULSORY vaccination of everyone with the good stuff. Since this cannot be done the highly contagious disease will keep on living within the migrant workers community as well as small business owner Thais as source of continuous supply to the rest of the country and beyond. 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

wonder if, it is so bad it will be put on the mandatory vaccination required for long stay tourists, where things like Elephantitis, Syphilis and some other things are listed.  Formalize more instead of all these new policies, directives, immigration site posts, etc..

Yes. I remember before everyone spouting how the solution wad going to be the vaccine. It’s interesting to see the realities unfolding. Having a vaccine seems to mean next to nothing at this point. Maybe this will change in the coming year. 

I personally give covid a decade to be almost fully neutralized, although the horrible policies will stay around even in its absence. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

soooooo, the only way to irradiate it is by COMPULSORY vaccination of everyone with the good stuff. 

Alternatively just get vaccinated yourself and get boosters if or when necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

I’m vaccinated. This however is a broader issue also impacting those vaccinated. 

Just saying if you're farangie and vaccinated I really don't see how it's any of your concern. 

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Just saying if you're farangie and vaccinated I really don't see how it's any of your concern. 

The broader impact that affects me and some of the people include restrictions on travel, higher prices, shortage of goods, low morale, less human interaction, closure of entertainment venues, to name a few. I commend your resilience!
ps-I have a ninja zx6r. Get challenged by wannabes with their modified scooters especially the 300cc ones. I enjoy their losing face reactions????????????

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

The broader impact that affects me and some of the people include restrictions on travel, higher prices, shortage of goods, low morale, less human interaction, closure of entertainment venues, to name a few. I commend your resilience!
ps-I have a ninja zx6r. Get challenged by wannabes with their modified scooters especially the 300cc ones. I enjoy their losing face reactions????????????

It always seems to me where you live what you like doing.

My retired life is a very easy going one in our village and the village has been on voluntary high alert and scared since the new wave since Songkran.

There's a lot of cars and bikes but very few people about and keeping away from one another.

Some price fruit and veg are cheap because there's few people about and sellers need to sell it.

I still ride out and about on my Blade, can find and stop places but prefer not to until I get the jabs.

We have lot people around too on Fonza's & Xmax's a few owners ride too fast, showing off I guess.

I was looking at an Xmax outside 7-11 it had good wide large wheels for a scoot, I never understand why some change to smaller skinny wheels.

The Xmax Thai guy spoke reasonable English and said to me you like, I just said yeah but no like it's not my thing, he said its fast it does 145 kph, so his face reaction change when I said my bike does more that in 2nd gear. 555

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It always seems to me where you live what you like doing.

My retired life is a very easy going one in our village and the village has been on voluntary high alert and scared since the new wave since Songkran.

There's a lot of cars and bikes but very few people about and keeping away from one another.

Some price fruit and veg are cheap because there's few people about and sellers need to sell it.

I still ride out and about on my Blade, can find and stop places but prefer not to until I get the jabs.

We have lot people around too on Fonza's & Xmax's a few owners ride too fast, showing off I guess.

I was looking at an Xmax outside 7-11 it had good wide large wheels for a scoot, I never understand why some change to smaller skinny wheels.

The Xmax Thai guy spoke reasonable English and said to me you like, I just said yeah but no like it's not my thing, he said its fast it does 145 kph, so his face reaction change when I said my bike does more that in 2nd gear. 555

Apparently skinny tires offer better acceleration and lower fuel consumption which fits well with young Thai racing driver wannabe with limited funds. After I pass them I can see in my rear view mirror how hard they try to catch up by leaning low and overtaking cars dangerously not accepting defeat but to no avail. It then gets interesting at the next lights. Nudging forward revving it up to give themselves a head start taking off before lights go green. But no chance lol. 0 to 100 in 3 seconds is hard to beat even by a super car let alone 300cc scooter!

8 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Apparently skinny tires offer better acceleration and lower fuel consumption which fits well with young Thai racing driver wannabe with limited funds. After I pass them I can see in my rear view mirror how hard they try to catch up by leaning low and overtaking cars dangerously not accepting defeat but to no avail. It then gets interesting at the next lights. Nudging forward revving it up to give themselves a head start taking off before lights go green. But no chance lol. 0 to 100 in 3 seconds is hard to beat even by a super car let alone 300cc scooter!

The 300 cc scoots are here to stay just like covid but the scoots will probably kill more. 

A PCX 150 with skinny tyres went down in the wet on a bend in our village, typically not allowing for road conditions.

People are scared because of the lack of truth being said of the vaccine's and the effect they are having in the community. I have a low immune system at 63. I got the jab and getting 2nd one next Wednesday. I had very bad side effects that put me in bed; went to the local hospital, they put me in a hallway for 9hrs with red paint around the wall and hot spot written. Could not get a straight answer from them. Treated like cockroach <deleted>. Had to challenge them when blood sugars were dropping. Developed debilitating pain, asked for Endone which I am prescribed by GP and given Panadol. I asked what do you want me to do with those? Now I went to hospital saying I am having a reaction to being immunised against covid 19. Then asked symptoms. Do you know what they put on my discharge form. Suffering with Headache. This hospital is supposed to be good but didn't want to tell the truth? You tell 1 and they tell 10. This is what happens so people get scared. I can't even get my wife to get vaccinated! She is in a panic for her mum back in Thailand. We got rid of the Spanish flu but had to kill 50 million? or there abouts. I am scared what the virus will do to my body so I got it done. Chris.????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes its with us indefinitely.

The realistic goal at this point is for it to become like seasonal flu. Predictably kills lots of people but doesn't destroy the way of life for others. 

Up there with some of your best posts Jing. Let the scientists do the work mate.????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes its with us indefinitely.

The realistic goal at this point is for it to become like seasonal flu. Predictably kills lots of people but doesn't destroy the way of life for others. 

The World would take that , grab it with both hands , IF that option was available , if we could just convince Corona to turn into the flu

7 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

We got rid of the Spanish flu but had to kill 50 million?

Maybe that's it, we're going to have a global pandemic that'll kill off 50-100 million before this thing subsides. We think we're smart and can make vaccines and stop it, but the virus is smarter and mutates and we're always several steps behind. Perhaps we're just delaying the inevitable. This thing ain't stopping until it's had its fill of death. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, grain said:

Maybe that's it, we're going to have a global pandemic that'll kill off 50-100 million before this thing subsides. We think we're smart and can make vaccines and stop it, but the virus is smarter and mutates and we're always several steps behind. Perhaps we're just delaying the inevitable. This thing ain't stopping until it's had its fill of death. Just a thought.

We are having a pandemic, Grain; but not sure how many will die or be debilitated after they have caught covid 19. Your glass looks half empty mate. Chris ???????? 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:47 AM, bkk6060 said:

Probably more variants coming and more vaccines needed to fight them off.

Seems it will not someday disappear into oblivion.

More variants are definitely coming, that doesn't mean they will be worse than the current variants in circulation.

Israeli Govt data regarding the Pfizer vaccine. 'From May 2 to June 5, the efficacy rate in preventing hospitalization was 98.2%, compared with 93% from June 6 to July 3. A similar decline in the rate was recorded for the vaccine’s efficiency in preventing serious illness among people who had been inoculated'. https://fortune.com/2021/07/05/israel-data-plunge-efficacy-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-delta-variant/. Data from the UK (which do not distinguish between AZ and Pfizer vaccines) claim an effectiveness (period April 12-June 4) against hospitalization of 96% (CI 91-98) and 79% (CI 78-80%) against symptomatic disease https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1000512/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_27.pdf. This report is quite extensive with lots of interesting graphs.

In vitro studies by the Univ of Texas with serum from people that had received two injections of Pfizer vaccine confirm that there is a strong reduction in the neutralization of the the B.1.617.1 (=Delta) variant relative to neutralization of the wild-type virus but not with other variants. However, at sufficiently high serum levels, the Delta variant could be neutralized completely https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03693-y.

Overall these data suggest that vaccination is still highly effective, but some fully vaccinated people do end up in hospital and some die.