Phuket marks another three Sandbox tourist infections

webfact

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The vaccine is not a 100% cure.... it lessons the impact of the virus if caught.

IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU IMMUNE

very true - but it is complex 

Even with vaccine the virus will enter your body - what determines if you are defined as infected is complex - it all comes down to viral load - the actual amount of virus detected in a blood sample and there is a threshold - this viral load will also determine how infectious you are 

In principal we as humans get infected with viruses all the time, our immune system takes care of most of them before they can gain a footing, some are more difficult and the body will lose control unless it has some help with a vaccine which arms the immune system with antibodies that allow the body to quicky react to these dangerous viruses before they can gain a footing - the body is able to stop them dead in their tracks - during that process you are technically infected with the virus but viral loads will be very low and never allowed to get out of control 

• Like 2

I could see how this could happen. I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer. I had my PCR test in the US on a Sunday, results (which need to be 72 hours before your first flight) were out on Tuesday. My first flight was on Thursday, and I traveled for 30+ hours before I arrived in Phuket on Saturday. So my Phuket airport test was a full 6 days after my pre-flight PCR test. 

Although I have a Pfizer vaccination, it would have been possible for me get Covid (probably asymptomatically) as a breakthrough infection and get a positive result at the airport or on the day 6 test. Unlikely, but possible. 

This report shows that 10 Sandbox visitors tested positive in first 15 days (0.175% of 5710 arrivals)

3 tested positive on arrival

7 tested positive on day 6-7 

0 tested positive on day 12-13

I would think the above implies they are likely bringing it in rather than catching it in Phuket?

Phuket-Sandbox-Daily-Report-as-of-15July2021.jpeg.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat