Syn Mun Kong insurance revokes its Covid-19 insurance due to worsening infections in Thailand, encountering public backlash and insurance commission disapproval

webfact

tpn2.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Bangkok – Thailand’s insurance company, Syn Mun Kong Insurance, this morning, July 16th, announced the sudden cancelation of its Covid-19 insurance policies following the worsening Covid-19 situation in Thailand. However, the Office of Insurance Commission immediately banned the practice by this afternoon.

According to their statement, the decision had been made as the outbreak of the Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand continues to escalate and the number of new daily infections has significantly increased at a high rate and put pressure on the public health system, causing the risk and the situation in the near future to become unforecastable.

Syn Mun Kong Insurance, therefore, has to effectively manage the risk effectively and needs to cancel the “Covid 2 in 1” insurance policy and end its entire coverage 30 days after the insurers received the official letter notifying the change.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/17/syn-mun-kong-insurance-revokes-its-covid-19-insurance-due-to-worsening-infections-in-thailand-encountering-public-backlash-and-insurance-commission-disapproval/

PattayaNews.jpg

Worrying. I hope this doesn't become the "new normal" I am in the second year of a policy from "Dhipaya", initially selected pretty much at random from a raft of virtually identical policies offered on line.

Maybe this outfit is in trouble?

Does the Insurance Commission banning the practice mean that they will have to reverse their decision, and will other companies be unable to do the same? It may sound like that is the case but...

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

An Insurance company that is adverse to risk,they take your

money when everything is going their way, things change

and they want to cancel the policy, Insurance companies

and Banks, in the past you could trust them,this is no longer

true.

regards worgeordie

I am in my 50’s now I always remember that my grand parents ( who struggled through the 30’s ) hated the banks. They would rather hide the cash at home. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Umm any company wants your money when you buy something they are selling !

yes sure, but with insurance it is always less what you get and if you get paid the increase the insurance bill for you next time,

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

An Insurance company that is adverse to risk,they take your

money when everything is going their way, things change

and they want to cancel the policy, Insurance companies

and Banks, in the past you could trust them,this is no longer

true.

regards worgeordie

Hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Syn Mun Kong Insurance, therefore, has to effectively manage the risk effectively and needs to cancel the “Covid 2 in 1” insurance policy and end its entire coverage 30 days after the insurers received the official letter notifying the change.

Can't be paying out on insurances... no profit to be made on doing that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

No they just refunded the days left. But Thaivisa is a bit slow this was in the news yesterday and today the government is talking about fining and stopping this practice.

This is just thievery.

This is Thailand.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Hit the nail on the head.

Does not happen in the West, i do agree with higher premiums. I mean the premium is based on what they think will be the risk so that is fair. What is not fair is to change the terms after an agreement. Its a business if it makes a mistake it should pay for it like any other business. I mean someone who did not take the insurance took a risk too, should they get money too because they did not have insurance but then buy one when there is a problem. That is not how insurance works.

I hope the government can stop this practice. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

yes sure, but with insurance it is always less what you get and if you get paid the increase the insurance bill for you next time,

Incorrect – example over the past few years what I am having to claim for my cancer treatment is more than my premiums – and no, they do not increase apart from the 5 year periods I was told before I started the policy

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Does not happen in the West, i do agree with higher premiums. I mean the premium is based on what they think will be the risk so that is fair. What is not fair is to change the terms after an agreement. Its a business if it makes a mistake it should pay for it like any other business. I mean someone who did not take the insurance took a risk too, should they get money too because they did not have insurance but then buy one when there is a problem. That is not how insurance works.

I hope the government can stop this practice. 

The government will stop it. All SMK is done is destroy their reputation.

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Worrying. I hope this doesn't become the "new normal" I am in the second year of a policy from "Dhipaya", initially selected pretty much at random from a raft of virtually identical policies offered on line.

Maybe this outfit is in trouble?

Does the Insurance Commission banning the practice mean that they will have to reverse their decision, and will other companies be unable to do the same? It may sound like that is the case but...

Two companies have gone bust today.  There will be more.