Submarine Budget Taken off Agenda

snoop1130

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But the fact is they postponed it.

And maybe there are other discreditable reasons why the Thai govt might purchase submarines from a country that has no laws against adding more than a bit extra on to the price in order to grease the wheels of the sale.

That is always going to be an issue for western companies isn't it?

Given the laws in their countries prevent the use of any greasing of the wheels?

• Like 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

That is always going to be an issue for western companies isn't it?

Given the laws in their countries prevent the use of any greasing of the wheels?

Yes it is. And a great boon to China in selling to countries where certain practices are prevalent. But it does mean that one doesn't have to invoke sinister notions of China secretly manipulating the strings of a puppet govt.

Just now, mark131v said:

Yes I am sure it does...

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's a duck! the government are certainly ducks 

The Thai government have proven on an almost daily basis to be a complete and utter shambles unable to do even the simplest prerequisites of running a country

You are right there is absolutely nothing they can do that will change my opinion other than combusting into flames and getting a new lot in to see if they can do any better, lets face it they couldn't do any worse...

Was I defending the competence of the Thai govt? Your reply is utterly irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

For some people, no matter what the Thai govt does, they'll find a unlikely way to explain it discreditably. And your use of  "vely, vely biggly" tells us all we need to know about where you're coming from.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Was I defending the competence of the Thai govt? Your reply is utterly irrelevant.

Yep, it certainly looks like you where and tbh I care nothing for your thoughts on the relevance of my comments guess we will have to agree to disagree once more...

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Adm Chartchai informed the meeting of the special House committee scrutinizing the budget bill of his intention to remove the budget request for two submarines out of its agenda.

What a truly great and magnanimous guy. Right up there with Mr Prayuth.

I do declare , I have never seen so many great guys concentrated in such a relatively small country.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I would suggest it is not a single string. China has for many years offered loans and deals to many countries. Especially third world countries for work on infrastructure and development. 

On the face of it you would assume this was a good thing.

However many of these countries simply could not and never will be able to afford such luxuries.

However those in power in those countries were well compensated for taking those deals.

China then comes in and asset strips the country in order furnish the debt owed to it.

Have a google for rare trees cut down and sent to China.

Have a google for rare minerals stolen and sent to China.

I could go on but you will catch my drift I believe.

Is this the case with Thailand? Its national debt is about 50% of its GDP. That's pretty low.

12 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Yep, it certainly looks like you where and tbh I care nothing for your thoughts on the relevance of my comments guess we will have to agree to disagree once more...

Claiming that I was defending the competence of the Thai govt is like claiming that I would be defending the competence of a surgeon because 50% of her or his operations are a success. Competence is not judged by a one-off event.

And since my comments was about your claim that China was running things, and your reply had nothing to do with that, I'd say it's pretty clear that your comment was irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Really? So no tourism has made not a jot of difference to the tiger economy of Thailand?

So why are they cancelling the submarines if the place is awash with money?

First of all, you made a claim that there was a 20% decline. I see that claim has evaporated. As for why the drop in GDP is small, I guess other industries compensated for most of the decline. I don't know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First of all, you made a claim that there was a 20% decline. I see that claim has evaporated. As for why the drop in GDP is small, I guess other industries compensated for most of the decline. I don't know.

No it has not evaporated at all. Your chart shows over a 10% decline and its only a projection isn't it.

Now where did you get that graph from? 

• Like 1