Do I need a lawyer for criminal cases in Thailand?

zappalot

59 minutes ago, bbko said:

Sue in a criminal case? I know people can sue in civil cases, does Thailand allow lawsuits in criminal cases?

Yes criminal and civil matters are separate. Criminal matters will have to be reported to the police and a prosecutor will make determinatyas to how to proceed. 

4 hours ago, zappalot said:

Not exactly correct. It might be that the police does not take action. Then anyone can sue another one in court for criminal charges. No prosecutor from the government involved.

The smart thing will be to consult a lawyer whether you nee a legal representation or not, almost 100% sure that you will need a Thai lawyer to speak on your behalf, as to what extend you'll want the lawyer to be involved that will be up to you...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zappalot said:

Not exactly correct. It might be that the police does not take action. Then anyone can sue another one in court for criminal charges. No prosecutor from the government involved.

Thanks...was not aware

16 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, I suppose you could always speak through a translator.

If you do that, you must make sure that the translator speaks and understands perfect English.

I know a Thai judge and I was told that if a translator makes a mistake and even though the judge understands English and knows about that mistake, he has to follow the mistaken Thai translation of the translator.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zappalot said:

Yes correct police don't have to be involved at all. Just go ahead sand let the courts decide for a criminal case or not.  But be ready to be counters sued for defamation! 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:46 PM, CharlieH said:

To the best of my knowledge ONLY qualified Thai lawyers are permitted in a Thai court..

I assume you mean as an advocate? As a ritual sacrifice, I mean a litigant, surely everyone has an equal right to be skewered in a Thai court.

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

The smart thing will be to consult a lawyer whether you nee a legal representation or not, almost 100% sure that you will need a Thai lawyer to speak on your behalf, as to what extend you'll want the lawyer to be involved that will be up to you...

exactly,   to even consider representing yourself in a serious matter if it could involve jail is ridiculous. They will eat you up more so and easier than they will with a Thai lawyer.     What's the point    ...    !     

Believe me, I know the court system here .... been there many times.

I had a case going against my neighbour and the police took it up and did a fair amount of detective work putting the file together. They sent it to the prosecutor's office and because of a tiny oversight on my part (I never signed the initial complaint) the prosecutor couldn't proceed. But later on I got a lot of support from fairly senior provincial police who insisted I could proceed with a private prosecution, and also solved a major part of my complaint against this guy out of court. I have approached 3 attorneys and not one is in the slightest bit interested in taking the case. I've resigned myself to the laws of natural justice prevailing. A lot cheaper, and less hassle! Not all Thai police are bent. I learnt a very important lesson.

My Thai lawyer was trying to cut a deal with police and the claimant against me to get the matter to court and raise the stakes and cut the police in, rather than settle. Luckily the police chief told my Thai friend at the police station to translate for me) who had done some good work for the police station and so was in with them. The lawyer had come recommended by a farang friend of mine who had used him for years for big business. So settle rather than go to court, or pay an arm and a leg for a white Bangkok lawyer whom you might possibly be able to trust.