Thailand reports new daily record of 13,002 coronavirus cases

webfact

10 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

That's good.

Remember, if you take lots of precautions chances are you may be fine.  I know how stressful it is to have this blowing up around you.  

I personally think the best thing you can do is limit contact outside your house.  Shop when it's dead and nobody is going out.  

And I think sterilizing your phone and washing your hands and face cannot be overstated.  Plus remember your keys, doorknobs, etc at home.  Be careful.  

Well, he has been double vaxxed with Moderna and has stated that he had Covid earlier this year……..but still, making ice is therapeutic anyway.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At this juncture, it's worth a reminder that the government yesterday began offering a new COVID vaccinations opportunity via online registration to foreign nationals age 60 and above who live in Bangkok and five adjoining provinces who have not had any prior vaccination shot. The location is the Bang Sue rail center in BKK, and the vaccine being offered is the locally produced AstraZeneca version.

The link for registration for that vaccination opportunity is here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf_M5LMBUrxjtqtiRjp0dmtAgXHxrOBYN5T__fj_wuUPwen9A/viewform

No idea how long this vaccination opportunity for foreign nationals will remain open or how many doses they have set aside there for foreign nationals.

The same location is continuing to offer walk-in vaccinations (no pre-registration required) to foreign nationals age 75 and above.

1373365081_2021-07-20BangSueVaccinationsforfarang75andolder.jpg.01baae53589cf3961c2ae36f6e168e23.jpg

At this juncture, it's worth a reminder that the government yesterday began did not begin offering a new COVID vaccinations opportunity via online registration to foreign nationals age 60 and above who live in outside Bangkok and five adjoining provinces 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Residents now ordered not to leave their homes other times except for necessities such as work, food shopping, health care, vaccinations, etc.

its the "etc" that has most baffled. I went for a walk with the dog this morning and traffic and footfall was just same as last week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

At this juncture, it's worth a reminder that the government yesterday began did not begin offering a new COVID vaccinations opportunity via online registration to foreign nationals age 60 and above who live in outside Bangkok and five adjoining provinces 

Don't shoot the messenger, but their guidance on that registration page for people living in other areas is:

"- If you reside in provinces other than the above, please contact provincial health authorities or your provincial hospitals."

Ya, good luck with that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand’s COVID pandemic took a major turn for the worse on Wednesday as the country reported a new record high 13,002 new cases in the past day and posted 108 new deaths, its second highest daily death toll of the pandemic.

After a brief one day modest decline in new cases on Tuesday, Wednesday’s 13,002 new cases passed the prior daily record of 11,784 set just two days ago on July 19 by a wide margin of 1,218 added cases. The 108 new deaths were exceeded only by the 141 recorded on July 17.

Wednesday’s update included 11,953 new cases in the general population and 1,049 new cases among the nation’s prisons. Thailand has now totaled 439,477 COVID cases and 3,610 COVID deaths since the start of the pandemic in January 2020, though most of those cases and deaths have occurred just since April.

Overall, Thailand's current level of daily COVID cases has now more than doubled from the 6,000-range in daily cases of just two weeks ago. Even apart from the 1,049 new prison cases, the 11,953 general population cases also was a record high for the country.

The new daily high for COVID cases came as the government starting today, as part of a series of new COVID restrictions, has halted regular commercial domestic air flights into and out of Bangkok and another dozen restricted provinces. Exempted would be flights to/from Phuket and Samui that recently have begun allowing only fully vaccinated tourists.

On Tuesday, the government expanded a broader range of COVID restrictions that are slated to continue at least thru August 2 for Bangkok and the other dozen other hard-hit provinces. Those include an overnight curfew and a new order telling residents in those provinces to stay home as much as possible.

Thailand’s COVID outbreak, now in the worst of a so-called third wave that began in April, has spread lately from its original center in Bangkok and several adjoining provinces to the entire nation. All or almost all of Thailand’s 77 provinces lately have been reporting new COVID cases on a daily basis.

Health experts said the rising COVID case and death tolls in Thailand have been spurred by the highly contagious Delta (India) variant of the coronavirus that’s now become dominant in the country. The pandemic has led to increased poverty, rising unemployment and simmering protests against the government, particularly over a haphazard and lagging COVID vaccinations program that has seen only about 5 percent of the population fully vaccinated.

The country’s health care system has been hit almost to the breaking point by the broadening pandemic. Thailand on Tuesday again reported new record highs for active COVID cases hospitalized (126,765) and the share of those in critical condition (3,711). The number of critical patients on ventilators declined by one to 855 amid Tuesday's 80 new deaths.

Total COVID hospitalizations have almost doubled in the past two weeks, and the share of those in critical condition has doubled in the past three weeks. As of Tuesday, Thailand's tally of critical condition COVID patients had risen to new daily records for the past 31 days in a row.

What appears to be an increase in Prison Infections is a worrying aspect of these figures.

The Prison Infections have been on the rise now for a few Days, but this is the highest so far.

I was under the impression that prison Inmates had been Vaccinated ? So why the new rise in cases within the Prison sector.

Were they all single shot Sinosoup Vaccinations, or were there non administered.

That is the big question, as there are 310,000 locked away in Thai Jails.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Whale said:

its the "etc" that has most baffled. I went for a walk with the dog this morning and traffic and footfall was just same as last week.

Rules are rules, but that doesn't necessarily mean people follow them, nor does it mean that the government is always able or seriously inclined to enforce them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, internationalism said:

the first figure that counts is how many has died.

today 108, so really not growing.

Infections might be rising by thousands daily, in the long run it means herd immunity.

Just don't hospitalise asymptomatic, waste of health resources and unnecessary risk for medics

Growing from when? You missed out stating your starting point. From yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago?

in the same vein, when you say, thousands of cases a day means herd immunity in the long run, how long is a long run? How many thousands of cases a day are you assuming?

if you are trying to use statistics to prove some kind of point you need to be more precise, otherwise your post is meaningless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

These images should make you mad. They should make you upset, they should make you angry, and they should make you want to take action because the time for inaction is over.

Last night, local media showed scenes of people who had passed out and/or died on the streets of Bangkok due to either Covid-19 or because they had been malnourished and without support during the lockdown.  

Their bodies were left on the side of the street for hours.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30216/opinion-prayut-and-his-ministers-have-brought-this-country-to-its-lowest-point/

L4wdCeMW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Regarding the article and its railing against the government...there's an old saying in political science: "People get the government they deserve."

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

These images should make you mad. They should make you upset, they should make you angry, and they should make you want to take action because the time for inaction is over.

Last night, local media showed scenes of people who had passed out and/or died on the streets of Bangkok due to either Covid-19 or because they had been malnourished and without support during the lockdown.  

Their bodies were left on the side of the street for hours.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30216/opinion-prayut-and-his-ministers-have-brought-this-country-to-its-lowest-point/

L4wdCeMW?format=jpg&name=900x900

It is very sad. Near the Hindu temple on Silom Road there are very elderly people sat on the pavement selling 5 baht packets of biscuits. My wife and I buy from each one. It is not much but we hope it helps.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

In India now they believe deaths were up to 10 times more than reported. Why would Thailand be different? We could easily be at 300 to 400 deaths a day right now.

Higher than that. Randomised samples indicate 2/3 of the population have antibodies: https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-govt-survey-shows-two-thirds-have-coronavirus-antibodies-2021-07-20/

Assuming no sampling issues, that would indicate about 20x reported numbers.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Regarding the article and its railing against the government...there's an old saying in political science: "People get the government they deserve."

Well, yes , and no. The system currently in place does favor the powerful, rather than the many.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't shoot the messenger, but their guidance on that registration page for people living in other areas is:

"- If you reside in provinces other than the above, please contact provincial health authorities or your provincial hospitals."

For which they only listed hospitals in 4 other provinces only

42 minutes ago, Pravda said:

My wife who never tips grab drivers also started tipping

give that tip to the needy - Grab drivers are in high demand and likely making a nice living out of this - others are not

58 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

It does matter...the truth reveals the extent of their capacity to lie...their capacity to lie is exactly what brought us to this situation today..their capacity to lie indicates their likelihood to be honest in their approach to getting Thailand out of this.

Again, for the last few weeks/months when cases were running at 3,000 or 4,000 a day there were none of the signs that people had said would happen.

If you'd had friends working in the health care industry (read hospitals), you'd know that there were plenty of signs when there was 3,000- 4,000 cases a day. Sure, there weren't people lying on the streets so you easily could see them, they were in hospital beds inside the hospitals. Just ask your friends working in hospitals and if you don't have any, please don't just assume. 

Edited by MikeyIdea

I still see younger generation happily nearly daily posting pics from parties during lockdowns... big wide smiles with no masks on, a dozen faces in the frame of a camera, with alcohol in hands. One girl in 30s had 8 birthday parties one after another with different groups of people, then started complaining because her favourite bar has closed would not let her have the 9th...

How would you describe this? Very responsible behaviour?

Can't stop, won't stop.

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Important and welcome update from MFA below. We have been in close contact with the local authorities on access to vaccinations for foreign nationals, particularly the most vulnerable. Will continue collaboration in days ahead, including on access in other provinces.

https://twitter.com/markgooding/status/1417462882501939201

Vaccination registration for foreign residents aged 60 and over ONLY (born in 1961 or before) residing in Bangkok and neighboring provinces (Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakarn, and Samut Sakhon.)

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

Really really horrible.  In India it's common to just die on the street and get cleaned up later.  It's not in Thailand.  

There are reports of hospitals not taking trauma patients now.  It's only a matter of time until this becomes commonplace.  And if this doesn't stop then the whole health care system will crash.  

My fear is this is what may happen.  

I really do not know if there is any truth at all in what I am going to post. I am not trying to scar Monger or post any fake news.

But I will post it anyway, in the hope that it can be clarified, one way or another.

My Missus told me Yesterday AM, that some 141 Doctors had caught Covid since April

This is something that I would not be at all surprised at if it were true, as there appears to be many Infections among the Nursing Staff.

Is it possible somebody could clarify this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I have no proof, but I seriously doubt any were vaccinated. Maybe a few who were considered high profile enough to cause embarrassment if they weren’t. Prisoners are mostly considered along similar lines as migrant workers as far as I can see.

I kinda think along the same lines.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

This has been exactly my view for the last 3/4 weeks. In amongst the daily noise of numbers and announcements, the virus simply works away remorselessly. It doesn’t matter what the hospital stats are, how many vaccines may or may not be coming, the plain facts are that it is scientifically proven that delta is a highly transmissible virus, the population is largely unvaccinated and uninfected, and there is widespread community spread.

it stands to reason that the virus will continue to spread and spread and spread, until there is something to change its course. Thailand has not done anything yet to change the direction of infections. It has started some things, a small number of vaccinations, some restrictions, but neither are a game changer at this point.

inevitably cases will rise further. There are plenty of factors to suggest why they will, and none to suggest that they won’t.

restrictions and vaccinations are all that’s left in Thailand’s tool box and now it’s a question of watching to see how those tools are utilized and whether either or both become game changers.

Would you implement even harsher lockdowns that may or may not improve the situation from where it currently is but may cause many even greater hardship?Some modelling of the current Sydney out break of roughly 100 per day will take until September to bring it under control, about 6-8 weeks.Now with Thailand at 13,000 would you lockdown Thailand for 6-8 months to bring it under control when most of the people will get no support from those ruling by the gun?If you would then you are a braver man than me.Vaccines maybe a different story but I notice today the UK had 96 deaths from about 45,000 case and don't forget the lag for deaths which is typically 2-3 weeks (it might be a bit fast with the Delta strain), deaths are likely to increase in the UK so even vaccines are not proving as successful as was hoped.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Facebook users on Tuesday shared photos of an unidentified man wearing a purple shirt and black pants who reportedly passed out at 10am on a street near Wat Bowonniwet Temple in Bangkok’s Phra Nakhon district. Rescue staff were called and arrived at 2pm, only to find that he had already died.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003532

Four reportedly homeless men found dead on Bangkok streets, suspected to be virus victimsFour reportedly homeless men found dead on Bangkok streets, suspected to be virus victims

Looks dark for 2pm. 

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

the first figure that counts is how many has died.

today 108, so really not growing.

Infections might be rising by thousands daily, in the long run it means herd immunity.

Just don't hospitalise asymptomatic, waste of health resources and unnecessary risk for medics

It's probably impossible to achieve natural herd immunity, since the virus mutates when large numbers of people are infected. So the goalposts will always be receding as people who were once infected get re-infected with a new variant. 

Meanwhile, maybe hundreds of thousands would die needlessly if your advice were followed.