My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

50 minutes ago, OJAS said:

UK banks who require transactions to be verified by SMS insist, without exception, on passcodes being sent by this means solely to UK mobile numbers.

Incorrect, Santander for one said I could use a thai number, I prefer to use UK number

Edited by scubascuba3

RBS? I'm lucky enough to have offshore alternatives, I did have a Santander Portugal account among them that i abandoned, but wonder how that might work now after the fappening, formerly known as -nevermind...

Nevertheless, I'm getting all my goodies out of the Ukulele for ever. Maybe a fiver in a bog savings account so I can receive the last paltry inheritance due out of there if i'm not the last kid in the illustrious line of nobodies to cark it.

In the EU banks have gone a step further, requiring two-factor verification through banking apps. It's ok as long as you don't lose your smartphone. If you lose it it's a hell of a hassle to start the whole installation and verification from scratch.

TANs sent by SMS had been phased out some years ago, to be replaced by "photo-tans", ie TANs generated on your smartphone by a TAN app. When SMS TANs were used I remember there was a problem with non-EU phone numbers. I can't think it was a question of cost. More like making life as difficult as possible for expats, which has been the mission statement of banks for some time now.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

so you've not got roaming activated with your thai sim?

Yes it is activated. As I said, there is no mobile signal at my home. Wifi calling works though but I have to set my mobile data to my Thai SIM - not a problem as I don't do many Kasikorn transactions. 

I don't know whether its specific to my phone but whereas when I am using the mobile network, calls can be made and received on either SIM, with Wifi calling, I have to choose which

Edited by KhaoYai

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes it is activated. As I said, there is no mobile signal at my home. Wifi calling works though but I have to set my mobile data to my Thai SIM - not a problem as I don't do many Kasikorn transactions. 

I don't know whether its specific to my phone but whereas when I am using the mobile network, calls can be made and received on either SIM, with Wifi calling, I have to choose which

i checked my Redmi Note 9 and no wifi calling so not a solution for everyone, i usually get a phone signal anyway

On 7/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, simon43 said:

In a similar vein, is there a Thai mobile provider where the SIM can be topped up via the internet? 

I can top up my Dtac account via Kasikorn's online banking (no, I don't mean the App).  I can't be sure but I would think Bangkok Bank offer the same facility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:48 AM, KhaoYai said:

I can top up my Dtac account via Kasikorn's online banking (no, I don't mean the App).  I can't be sure but I would think Bangkok Bank offer the same facility.

Yes, I can confirm that I am, indeed, able to top up my AIS SIM card via Bangkok Bank's online banking facility. But as regards being able to top up a UK SIM card via a UK bank's online facility, forget it.☹️

On 9/1/2021 at 5:41 AM, OJAS said:

Yes, I can confirm that I am, indeed, able to top up my AIS SIM card via Bangkok Bank's online banking facility. But as regards being able to top up a UK SIM card via a UK bank's online facility, forget it.☹️

No, but you can top up UK mobiles online.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:18 PM, Kwasaki said:

Sorry for your problem can you not telephone the manager of the bank,  my bank may an exception for me because I have been with them a long time. 

They have no problem with me living in Thailand. 

Who's your bank

1 hour ago, phka said:

Who's your bank

First Direct Online banking a member of HSBC. 

They will not give any newly joining members what they provide for me now. 

If someone was to join in UK and keep a UK home address as contact for them you can still telephone them from more or less anywhere in the world. 

Like many other banks I guess. 

15 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Do any UK banks have 'managers' now, the only contact number they give out is to a call centre.

Yes they do you call someone and ask for something like a credit card, like I did to use in Thailand where I live and they say hang on I'll ask the manager.