Thailand reports 14,260 new COVID-19 cases, 119 more deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, mancub said:

Questioning your statement that ....   "Coronavac will be more effective for the rest of us than it is for them".  

If you're exposed and infected then it's the same equation for everyone, depending on personal health and reaction.

See paper on dose response and that the initial quantity of virus exposure is related to the severity of disease if infected.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7686757/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

You can't be serious? What do these results tell you, when you have no data on how robust their testing regime is? Antibody testing is the only way to get reliable infection numbers. Studies have repeatedly shown actual infection numbers from antibody tests to be significantly higher than reported numbers (sometimes well in excess of 10x).

I can go find the CDC papers on this, but I won't bother if you're going to insist on half baked methodologies. Never mind that the numbers you present show a mortality rate 50x higher between certain countries, which should have tipped you off something isn't quite right.

The same link shows UK which we know has a rigorous testing regime including anti body testing and its mortality rate is 2.3%

• Like 1

kaewmala  

This understand this you need to be aware that the army has done an info campaign to promote Sinovac while simultaneously devaluing mRNA vaccines. So the army should be rewarded with Sinovac for all levels of personnel—from top to bottom. At least they won’t die from Covid.

Quote Tweet

Erich Parpart

The Army said last night that the letter to ask for Moderna for its soldiers and their families in Bangkok was real but unauthorized. Netizens retaliated to the news today by coming up with the campaign #ขอซิโนแว็คให้กองทัพ (Asking for Sinovac for the Army).

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1418867560381026307

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The same link shows UK which we know has a rigorous testing regime including anti body testing and its mortality rate is 2.3%

It cannot simply include anti body testing, it must be derived from antibody testing performed in a controlled manner to exclude bias. Anything less is just a rough approximation, with no way to express confidence intervals.

We saw the antibody testing from Italy (Bergamo etc), and even with the heavy concentration of elderly in that region, I do not believe the estimated mortality rate exceeded 1%. Last year some people were claiming sub 0.1% mortality rates still (e.g. implying flu was worse). It was these studies that showed conclusively it's not the case, and put to rest any speculation it might be less lethal than the flu.

24 minutes ago, Olmate said:

The Guardian this arvo..revolting Ozzie’

Cities such as Melb Sydney population ~ 4 million. You will always get a bunch of dills having a protest. Could be lockdowns or animal rights or too much rain.

I remind you that Melbourne had a HARD full lockdown for 112 days. 

Check 'revolting'

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

It cannot simply include anti body testing, it must be derived from antibody testing performed in a controlled manner to exclude bias. Anything less is just a rough approximation, with no way to express confidence intervals.

We saw the antibody testing from Italy (Bergamo etc), and even with the heavy concentration of elderly in that region, I do not believe the estimated mortality rate exceeded 1%. Last year some people were claiming sub 0.1% mortality rates still (e.g. implying flu was worse). It was these studies that showed conclusively it's not the case, and put to rest any speculation it might be less lethal than the flu.

It does not only include anti body testing it includes PCR testing too.

As for Italy that has a mortality rate of 3% again from the same link.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Cities such as Melb Sydney population ~ 4 million. You will always get a bunch of dills having a protest. Could be lockdowns or animal rights or too much rain.

I remind you that Melbourne had a HARD full lockdown for 112 days. 

Check 'revolting'

This time around tho Scomo, s not paying employers or workers jobkeeper.jobseeker. Anyhow off topic.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

meanwhile Australians are starting to revolt over the lockdown, simply because authorities found only a dozen of cases before ordering the lockdown ????

speak of over-reaction LOL

and to make things worse, the vaccine rollout is weak with only 14% of the population ????

Australians should not expect "back to normal" before 2022, exactly like Thailand

sounds like Thailand the rest of SE Asia are in the same boat, and not alone

Unfortunately it won't be easy for people in Thailand to protest like this, should they decide to.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

Australians know that lockdowns don't work, if they did, everybody would know

it's just that stupid governments don't know what to do, and when they fail at the vaccine roll-out and look like the fools that they are, they put everyone under a protective dome "illusion trick"

done that, been there, it simply doesn't work but some people still didn't get the memo ????

That maybe so, but protesting en masse certainly isn't the brightest move and certainly doesn't make them any smarter than our leaders. 

<deleted>'s come to mind. 

AstraZeneca admits ‘complicated’ Thai vaccine production launch

AstraZeneca has admitted that the launch of Covid-19 vaccine production at Siam Bioscience, the Thai pharmaceutical company owned by the billionaire King Maha Vajiralongkorn, had been “complicated”, but said it aimed to supply Thailand with up to 5m-6m doses per month.

https://www.ft.com/content/1c54c222-98c6-4fc7-b43c-1b9115a27750

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

It does not only include anti body testing it includes PCR testing too.

As for Italy that has a mortality rate of 3% again from the same link.

It's not about inclusion though. If I include quality data in a baseline of low quality (self reported) data, I'm still going to get low quality results. The sampling needs to be controlled, it needs to exclude biased samples (specifically where testing was targeted to people presenting with symptoms).

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Cant put in same sentence Phil healht care and Thailand! Yes been there done that. Live in both country and Thailand has been way better than Phil if talking healht care to normal citizen! If people dont have money in Phil , you not get any treatment! In 2105 boyfriend of ex wifes sister in law died because family dont have money enough to get dialysis for him! Only need that but dont have money enough. 

Health care is hard to afford for the poor, but even more important, you have eat a healthy diet, and they cannot afford good nutrition in a good year, but now during a lengthy covid lockdown, far more restrictive than Thailand for a much longer period, the situation for the poor is much worse.... and delta strain is just taking off.

The Department of Corrections are reporting 655 new infections among the inmates bringing the total to 43,099. By far the majority are in Greater Bangkok with only 10,903 in the provinces. At the moment, 5,631 are in care and 48 have died #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiPrisonLife/status/1418914683738902535

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Erm,... what else would ambulances be doing?!

Think you missed the point as I was referring to picking up covid patients or taking them to a facility.  Prior to this wave I rarely heard but maybe 2 or 3 ambulances a day roll by.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's more to do with the general health of Filipinos compared to Thais, mainly related to poverty, which is at least 40% of the population of 110 million. Now with lockdowns that have lasted over 16 months already, that number is probably a lot higher. That the number of reported deaths in Philippines is not much higher is surprising. People are not even getting food aid (have family in a Philippine province). If you cannot afford to eat properly, even in good times, there's not much chance of surviving a covid-19 infection, and now with the delta variant spreading the situation there will get 10x worse, very rapidly.

I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me the difference between poor people in the Philippines and Thailand or for that matter anywhere.

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

UPDATE: Within the last hour, the Thai Red Cross has replied to say that their 1 million doses was not taken from the quota of private hospitals #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1418912449579868172

So you have to wonder why the allotments that were paid for by folks already as reserved were cut,  and why refunds are being given. On top of that how do they decide who gets cut from getting a vaccine and receives the refund.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you have to wonder why the allotments that were paid for by folks already as reserved were cut,  and why refunds are being given. On top of that how do they decide who gets cut from getting a vaccine and receives the refund.

I’m guessing the portion that has to go those who have to  travel overseas wasn’t originally accounted for and has now been taken out?

no idea on your other questions.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me the difference between poor people in the Philippines and Thailand or for that matter anywhere.

I'm not talking about the whole world and was replying to another member who was specifically comparing Thailand vs Philippines (we both have lived in both countries). It's about the number of poor in the Philippines being much higher. I hope you're less confused now.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would guess that being a for profit organisation I would say they had some better offers and made some more money.