Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

That's one reason why the Lao government is so strict on returning Laos citizens, because the health care would have major issues to cope with widespread outbreaks of Covid-19.  The last few people who crossed illegally from Thailand into Laos were sent to jail for 3 years and 7 months just last week.

As the Thai government should be doing with infected Burmese immigrants. Lock them up in a special covid only jail. Let's get real. How are you going to stop the rise in infections, without getting a handle on that border, and shutting down the super corrupt Prayuth border official franchisees?

4 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

???? Smelling like a rose. Retired just before Covid-19 and became an ‘upcountry geezer’, as one poster disparagingly labeled us. 

So happy and lucky to be away from the big smoke, living in my wife’s quiet village in our own house. Nowhere better in the world to be stuck on semi-lockdown for two years and counting. Plenty of fresh delicious food, unlimited clean well water, cheap high speed fiber Internet.

Yes, definitely “tired of the nonsense” of delayed vaccinations, worldwide media highlighting the very worst from every country around the world, lying and cheating politicians everywhere, restrictions on travel, resurgent Covid due to entitled nuts thinking vaccines are a conspiracy, etc...

Agree with the posters above who say to stop reading the news. It can easily become an addiction and it will influence one’s outlook and mental health negatively.

I am defnitely staying in Thailand, but can’t wait for the all clear for some nice long trips!

Good luck all!

Like that very much, and a very educated post. But who can you have personal conversation these days?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I work remotely and for the last ~8 years I lived here Thailand was a great place to be, however Covid unveiled the real level of corruption and idiocity that appeared to be way higher than I expected so I'd better work remotely from somewhere else.

Excellent circumstances, that's great fortune. In the covid days, regardless of where we choose to be, governments will make decisions that are ugly, to say the least.

24 minutes ago, pookondee said:

If you are sick of nonsense, then dont come to Australia.

At least Thailand is actually fighting an enemy.

We have the most draconian restrictions on earth, the most paranoid of politicians, all for a handful of cases and even fewer deaths for the whole year.

True

Few deaths

Police state

Boring as

Rather be in Thailand

Aus sucks

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think though this sort of stuff is an issue because you could be a news junkie. News likes click bait of course. I just don't think this sort of stuff should be a significant issue as to if you live in a country or not. When I was at Uni along time ago there was a minority or talked about this sort of stuff and similar issues.

Now the young  have social media amplified by news sites. Young people have always gone a bit overboard for social causes. They can be nonsense causes or they can result in some less extreme but positive changes in attitude. 

The people you deal with in that country are not likely to be concerned about this stuff. 

More carbs

Less walking

Carb city in shops

43 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I was never all that enthusiastic about Thailand, however, for the first 5 or so years here, felt mostly satisfied and comfortable flying back in from annual trips abroad.  That ebbed with each passing year though.  Last return to BKK (pre-Covid), I stared out the window of the car as we drove out of Swampy and found myself grimacing at the grit and grime of it all.   But, like coups and gubmint dysfunction, that's part of the tapestry in this part of the world. 

While I've been mentally ready to bounce for the last 3 or 4 years, everything's paid for and we have a fairly uncomplicated, comfortable lifestyle, so I'm afraid it's become a bit too easy to stay and float along day to day.   The Comfortable Old Shoe syndrome.

Soon as the mandatory arrival quarantine is lifted, or reduced significantly, we'll be feet wet and outta here for a mental reset, and see how it goes from there. 

You are not the only one, I can assure you! Cannot wait to get some time away. A breath of fresh air.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In defence of Australia. Best beaches. Better weather though cold in winter in the south. Not nearly as politically correct or nanny state as people make out. Country is wealthy so able to take a stricter covid approach and support people through it. Outside covid total freedom of course. 

Girls aren't always my cup of tea but bring Thai lady so fine. Certain things are expensive but many things westerners want like wine are so much cheaper and food and wine and beer is best in the world. Bring the good things from Thailand here, and have the odd Thai holiday, and most will be happy. 

Kayaking and snorkelling cheaper in Thailand by a mile. Dont drink wine. Aus food is expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Aus is boring with or without covid. Super boring now.

Cleaner but expensive houses. Beer prices same but everything else is cheaper in Thailand. Culture in Aus is poker machines in a pub.

Imo Thailand way more fun

Fair points but I don't know anyone who uses the poker machines though lots do and Thailand definitely does have a more fun and interesting culture. Must admit if I had to retire fully in Australia would be a bit boring. Even with the odd holiday. Deciding in next 4 years. What proportion in each country.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I just noticed you are in Surin. So your hubby/boyfriend must be a Khmer Surin? I just watched this cool video on Khmer Surin people, you might be interested in knowing their origin.

Thanks. A nice clip. I love it when - usually 0600-0700 - they play Isaan music over the loudspeakers. Mostly Isaan Lao love songs. And yes, my family are 'Northern Khmer' or 'Khmer Surin'. I t was interesting taking b/f to Siem Reap ('victory over the Thais') for his first ever visit to Cambodia. First day he thought he couldn't understand a word (a bit like me in southern US) but, as his confidence rose, he started to speak to the locals amongst gales of laughter on both sides ... Nice to see. And not much different from his Lao - depending on context & accents he says he understands about 50%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Seafood way cheaper in Thailand. Sit on beach and eat. In Aus its not allowed.  Aus is very bogan. Wouldnt touch the women with a 40 foot pole.

The cheaper thai seafood though often comes from suspect dirty rivers and farms. If you want cheap and a bit suspect basa from Asia you can get it at Coles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Fair points but I don't know anyone who uses the poker machines though lots do and Thailand definitely does have a more fun and interesting culture. Must admit if I had to retire fully in Australia would be a bit boring. Even with the odd holiday. Deciding in next 4 years. What proportion in each country.

Aus shopping malls close at 5.30. Thai 10pm. Or night mkts. Fun just to walk ariund. Have a beer, eat curry.

Aussies r playing pokies or watching tv. Imo thats dead living.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Seafood way cheaper in Thailand. Sit on beach and eat. In Aus its not allowed.  Aus is very bogan. Wouldnt touch the women with a 40 foot pole.

No worries. The bogans still know their place. It's just that the place has moved to next-door to you.