Advice regarding Keeping Cool in Thailand... Without breaking your bank account

On 8/7/2021 at 12:36 AM, GammaGlobulin said:
On 8/7/2021 at 5:10 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

the Panasonic AC, 18,500 BTU, is rated at about 1000 watts. 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:33 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

True, as you say, I love my Panasonic machine. 

As you know, a high quality AC made by Panasonic

Is Panasonic paying you? After 30+ years here you are the first I have heard recommend Panasonic for air conditioning. Mistubishi, Carrier, or Daikin are the market leaders here and they are all I have ever used. We do own our house so dont have to worry about getting ripped off by a landlord. But I would not recommend Panasonic over the two leading brands. To each his own though.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 2:57 AM, lopburi3 said:

As said the laws have changed and most must charge government electric rate these days.  The issue is spending money for nothing - it is the tenant paying the bill so as long as the ac is working no incentive to change.

As for noise - what noise?  Split AC units used in Thailand are so much more quiet than the junk used in many other countries.  But some cheap plastic on cheaper brands will indeed be junk.  And those are more likely to be found in cost conscious rental units.

During first lockdown in 2020 I stayed in a rental apartment in Hua Hin for 6 weeks. Big room on high floor which was actually quite nice. The air con unit was a huge no known brand thing. Each time it cut in it sounded like a piece of heavy industrial equipment. It was quite noisy once running too and never really made the room comfortable. Electric price by building was 8 Baht/KWH and it soon became very expensive. Contrast that to my new Daikin Inverter A/Cs in my Bangkok condo and the difference is like night and day in terms of cooling, noise and running costs. Advice? If looking to rent and you suffer from heat then make the installed A/C in the property part of your consideration. Good luck with swapping units and if you do, then consider it a "gift" to the landlord when you leave!

Edited by soi3eddie

20 minutes ago, marin said:

Is Panasonic paying you? After 30+ years here you are the first I have heard recommend Panasonic for air conditioning. Mistubishi, Carrier, or Daikin are the market leaders here and they are all I have ever used. We do own our house so dont have to worry about getting ripped off by a landlord. But I would not recommend Panasonic over the two leading brands. To each his own though.

I have two pre-inverter Panasonic units and found them very good quality and one replaced a much larger Mitsubishi.  Have a current Mitsubishi inverter that thinks it is a dust bin and will stop operating after 5 or 6 months if not cleaned.  Have a Daikin inverter that normally works well but you need to be a contortionist to replace filters.  Have never heard anyone recommend Carrier here.  Although no experience with current Panasonic models expect they are fine - just as before split systems were common National (old name) was the brand to buy for window type units.

On 8/7/2021 at 1:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when newbies try to give advice to more newbies. 

I'm sure you can't wait to tell us how long you've been here.

It's almost funny when the old guard sneer at newcomers which, of course, you never were eh.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:53 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes! 

I was a dummy for years. 

Yet, I am less a dummy than I once was, concerning AC machines, and the bonus for landlords. 

I don't have air-con, I stay with ice-cooled Chang.

• Haha 1

I insulated my house (R36) on top of the ceiling. Cost of labor & material 4000 ฿.  Electric bill dropped and the house is so much cooler that we have to use 2 heavy blankets in "winter" months.  Most of the year we never turn on the one a/c unit, but when I do have to turn it on in the afternoons during May, June, some days in July, when temps are above 36, the house cools down fairly quick.  I've been told that an auto vent fan in the attic will reduce this heat build-up above the insulation. So, the heat does build up and does come into the living space, but the daytime temp year-round is much cooler than pre-insulation days.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:53 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yet, I am less a dummy than I once was, concerning AC machines, and the bonus for landlords. 

Yeah, you probably will save the huge amount of 300 baht per month if you are really lucky. Maybe better to advice against heavy drinking and falling for all the beautiful girls that say they love you so much. That, my friend, will probably be something that result in less people loosing their life savings and a lot of broken dreams on trips home to nothing.

Saving on the air con bill???? Baaaaaah!

On 8/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

May we quote on this? 

If true, then most of us would be charged 5Bt., and no more, per KwHr. 

Are you joking???. 

I've lived in various places around Jomtien and Pattaya for more than ten years. I've always been able to just pay the billed amount without a surcharge. Sometimes I had to make it part of the leasing discussion.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:45 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

15 months is enough to recoup cost of Panasonic AC. 

No need for you to wonder further. 

GammaGlobulin, I’ve enjoyed these posts. May I ask, were you once a grand butler in your time , as you sound straight out of the film/ book « The Remains of the Day «  ? No offense meant.

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:42 AM, BE88 said:

Someone loves his big bike or his car or his dog or Panasonic machine more than his GF.  Nobody is perfect Lol

Some guys kiss their car good night.

"That don't impress me much"

• Haha 1

The first thing I did was install an air con unit and probably  the best thing 18000 baht all inclusive with fitting from big c  my electric bill is around 1200 baht a month and air con is rarely turned off. Had it serviced last week 300 baht from same guy who installed it and if I ever move out the cost of taking out and re installing 2000 baht from same guy.  I see it that if you rent a house with aircon already installed the rents are higher and the landlord will make money on the electric bill. My rent very cheap and  I pay my own Bill's and not to the landlord 

When I first started coming to Pattaya, I used various guest houses around Soi Buckawo and Soi Diana. They all had AC and a ceiling fan, the AC produced very little air which forced you to use the ceiling fan, I then found out about English Rose and Canterbury Tales, both owned by western guys with the AC the way they should be and no need for ceiling fans.

The guesthouses with the ceiling fans were all Thai owned.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, lopburi3 said:

I have two pre-inverter Panasonic units and found them very good quality and one replaced a much larger Mitsubishi.  Have a current Mitsubishi inverter that thinks it is a dust bin and will stop operating after 5 or 6 months if not cleaned.  Have a Daikin inverter that normally works well but you need to be a contortionist to replace filters.  Have never heard anyone recommend Carrier here.  Although no experience with current Panasonic models expect they are fine - just as before split systems were common National (old name) was the brand to buy for window type units.

I agree with you.  Mitsubishi is garbage.

Daikin is OK, and these come from China.

The two best are Panasonic and Hitachi, as anyone will tell you who lives here.

The Panasonic I have has an EER of 23.5 and very low noise on inside and outside unit.

Yes.  You are correct about National.....years ago.  Very popular a long time ago, but not now.

BY THE WAY... There are other Japanese brands that you may not have heard of which are even quieter than Panasonic. These are mostly larger split air systems.

You seem to know your ACs....I can see.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, malthebluff said:

The first thing I did was install an air con unit and probably  the best thing 18000 baht all inclusive with fitting from big c  my electric bill is around 1200 baht a month and air con is rarely turned off. Had it serviced last week 300 baht from same guy who installed it and if I ever move out the cost of taking out and re installing 2000 baht from same guy.  I see it that if you rent a house with aircon already installed the rents are higher and the landlord will make money on the electric bill. My rent very cheap and  I pay my own Bill's and not to the landlord 

You are correct.

Reinstallation is about 2000.

And, some condo owners will allow this...so find one that will.

Where do you live may I ask?

On 8/8/2021 at 7:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

When I arrived in Thailand I tried to learn things from people who lived here for many years.

I learned a lot and I obviously also made mistakes.

It should be obvious but let me point it out for you: If you want advice who do you listen to? Someone who knows just a little more than you? Or someone who has a lot of experience?

Lots of people in this forum ask newcomer questions. Fine, no problem. And many of us try to help newcomers.

But if a newcomer pretends to know something which he obviously doesn't know, then most answers won't be of the supporting nature.

Tell me more

Where should i live

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are correct.

Reinstallation is about 2000.

And, some condo owners will allow this...so find one that will.

Where do you live may I ask?

Surat thani in  house not a condo condos bump the unit price of electric up 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, pizzachang said:

I insulated my house (R36) on top of the ceiling. Cost of labor & material 4000 ฿.  Electric bill dropped and the house is so much cooler that we have to use 2 heavy blankets in "winter" months.  Most of the year we never turn on the one a/c unit, but when I do have to turn it on in the afternoons during May, June, some days in July, when temps are above 36, the house cools down fairly quick.  I've been told that an auto vent fan in the attic will reduce this heat build-up above the insulation. So, the heat does build up and does come into the living space, but the daytime temp year-round is much cooler than pre-insulation days.

Great suggestion.

I will talk to the landlord regarding the insulation.

Above my rooms, there is only something like plywood ceiling, and then nothing above that but a metal roof.

Since heat rises, I had thought that not much heat was transferring from the space in the "attic" area down into the rooms below. However, from what you state, maybe my thinking is mistaken.

This might also reduce outside noise level from intruding indoors.

Error:  Daikin has a factory in Thailand. I thought that some Daikin might be imported from the factory in China, but this seems untrue. It seems Daikin has a major factory in Thailand.

Daikin is a great machine, but Panasonic is better, as is Hitachi.

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Great suggestion.

Above my rooms, there is only something like plywood ceiling, and then nothing above that but a metal roof.

Since heat rises, I had thought that not much heat was transferring from the space in the "attic" area down into the rooms below. However, from what you state, maybe my thinking is mistaken.

Normal cheap ceiling is cement board - put you hand on it during the afternoon and it will be hot hot hot and that makes the already room air even hotter and will transfer down as can not go up.  Venting roof will help but keeping ceiling cooler will help a lot so insulation is indeed a good investment.  

19 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Great suggestion.

Heat travels to a "colder" environment, so yes, when the temperature inside my house is cooler than in the attic , the heat will transfer. Slowly, because the insulation impedes the transfer. What I've noticed is, on a day like yesterday, the living spaces are much cooler in the morning and as heat builds during the day, there is a slow transfer from attic to living space. As I said, if I install a vent fan in the attic, the transfer would be even slower. In our moo baan, several of the houses have identical layouts - the one with no insulation are so much hotter and get hot as soon as there's direct sun (even thru clouds) The difference is apparent, when I have entered a neighbor's home and then go back to mine...with no a/c running.

Most houses have a aluminum grid frame ceiling,  with gypsum screwed to it.  These will support R36 fiberglass - I used two layers laid in opposite direction to each other.

1 hour ago, pizzachang said:

Heat travels to a "colder" environment, so yes, when the temperature inside my house is cooler than in the attic , the heat will transfer. Slowly, because the insulation impedes the transfer. What I've noticed is, on a day like yesterday, the living spaces are much cooler in the morning and as heat builds during the day, there is a slow transfer from attic to living space. As I said, if I install a vent fan in the attic, the transfer would be even slower. In our moo baan, several of the houses have identical layouts - the one with no insulation are so much hotter and get hot as soon as there's direct sun (even thru clouds) The difference is apparent, when I have entered a neighbor's home and then go back to mine...with no a/c running.

Most houses have a aluminum grid frame ceiling,  with gypsum screwed to it.  These will support R36 fiberglass - I used two layers laid in opposite direction to each other.

My house has a roof which looks like this.  roofing_thailand_building_construction_1.jpg.05a4e8f1bd62de8c663f58b62a85b1a7.jpg

One would think that there should be fairly low heat transfer from the space below the roof, through any plaster board, to the rooms below.

Also, don't these types of prefab metal roofs already have insulation fastened to the underside of them?

Maybe it would be advisable to measure the temperature with a thermometer attached to the ceiling to learn how hot the ceiling gets.

Insulation is very cheap compared to the cost of wasted BTUs, for sure.