Foreigners raring to buy condos in Thailand - Bangkok most popular in searches - but late 2022 for recovery

webfact

4 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

What a bunch of BS!

The property market is dead as a doornail in Thailand and will be long after the pandemic is over I'm afraid.

People have seen what something like this does to a market. You would have trouble giving a condo away right now.

It’s dead but you still need to be blazing fast to get any sort of deal in Phuket. The Chinese have started showing up recently with suitcases filled with cash to launder. I got outbid on some beach front land for 200 million baht. Chinese buyer came in at the last minute and offered 50 million baht over asking.

99% of the property in Phuket is laundered money, hence why no one is in a rush to sell or reduce prices. I’ve snagged some insane deals over the last year here but you need to move fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aussienam said:

For a large percentage of condos in places like Pattaya, they are overpriced and a depreciating asset. 

Every time I used to go to Pattaya (with my Aussie gf, who loves the place more then I do) I used to think of buying a condo there ... Never did but instead invested it in a range of shares in the US and Australia and thought to use the income from those investments to rent in Thailand, an example I purchased some Moderna way back and that's gone insanely high, its ridiculous how much its grown.   OF course the difference being I don't live there, am not looking to launder money,  nor have any roots there but it would be nice to stay for months instead of weeks, and being able to have a place of your own has an appeal.  The Thai authorities just make it way to hard to stay there for me

Edited by BumGun
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

And it´s still not difficult to find a condo selling for the old 2019 "bargain" price ????. They still believe, that foreign buyers will soon be coming to save the real estate market.

• Haha 2

THB down approx 10% this year, combined that with some ppl looking to cash, and a slow current ( actual) property market, it definitely looks a better deal now than 1 yr ago was...

Now only if the buyers could travel and see before buying and sending their money to a Thai bank that now only guarantee 1M THB....

A buyer's dream!

• Haha 1

There thousands upon thousands of un-sold condos on the market already, due to over supply,  my guess people are doing Internet searches as to find a bargain also due to the weakening Baht, then when or if the economy picks up they re-sell,  these people are called speculators and happens all over the world... 

Edited by Soikhaonoiken
Missed words
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Xonax said:

And it´s still not difficult to find a condo selling for the old 2019 "bargain" price ????. They still believe, that foreign buyers will soon be coming to save the real estate market.

I have my doubts, not enough of a discount for a market that will not have the influx of foreigners -- enough to support a sudden burst of buyers...   There are probably a number of distressed sellers waiting for the chance to dump their property so many of those may also be talking up the market.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

He said this was evidenced by Google Trends; searches showed huge interest especially from prospective Japanese and Chinese buyers. 

Wonder if he ever considered that these searches may be from hand wringing owners wishing they never bought condo's in a Junta controlled country?....As they watch prices plummet

Or like the folks who cannot look away from a train wreck?

Lastly could also be folks like us who sold in 2016 when we had enough proof the Junta were idiots that would never leave (willingly)

We often like to look at property prices to see in comparison how much cheaper we could buy back that Chiang Mai Condo we sold in 2016

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Analyzing the real estate market not by sales but by Google searches…. Amazing !

A bit like counting a window shopper as a customer.. or a tyre-kicker at the weekend looking around the car showroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

Well, it is currently the silly season in journalistic terms, so I suppose this nonsense is just par for the course, lol.

It's silly season everyday for Thai journalists (so called), therefore this nonsense is a normal everyday event. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Airalee said:

I too was going to say the same thing.  If the Chinese are supposedly going to come in and buy up all the empty condos, what was stopping them from doing it pre-Covid?

Higher prices and poor exchange rates? 

• Like 1

So let me get this right, Chinese cannot search google etc without the use of a VPN. So any search they do will present as an IP address from somewhere other than China.

How are they identifying Chinese doing searches for property?

• Like 1