Bangkok protests: Police box set ablaze as rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon deployed

webfact

2pm.jpg

A police box was set ablaze last night after a day of protests on the streets of Bangkok turned violent yesterday evening in the Din Daeng area of the Thai capital.

Rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon were deployed by police.

Earlier protesters in cars and on motorcycles had gone to a number of key sites associated with politicians.

This included the Sino Thai Engineering HQ belonging to health minister Anutin Charnvirakul's wealthy family and the home of Palang Pracharat party leader Capt Thammanat Prompao.

Daily News reported that protesters later withdrew to the area near the Victory Monument before police with loud hailers persuaded them to go home lest they be arrested for contravening the emergency decree and curfew. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

One of the most important news articles in Thailand at the moment and it is relegated to a regional forum? Should be in the news forum, no?

It was on all local TV channels last night, with extensive coverage. 

Please note, this topic is in the Bangkok News forum which is a news forum about news in Bangkok.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

You really are quite pathetic, you somebody with all the benefit of a western education condoning a puppet government that has clearly outstayed it's welcome and left the populace with no other choice, shocking really...

But in the topic of Kratom you were saying breaking the law is breaking the law. Why such a split personality ?

Its a stupid law that they cant protest but its the law. Like you made so clear in that topic that breaking the law no matter what should be punished.

Not that I don't agree with you about the protests but its strange that you have such a dual view on things. On one side you want people to be prosecuted because they broke the law even though its changed now and on the other hand your now condoning protesters breaking the law.

For the record i agree with the protests (not the violence)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Pure science. LOL. When is the last time you have encountered a supporter, who was not in the army or the police? Even the government employees I talk to have admitted this is a failed regime. 

So pulled out of thin air. Do you really think that its now 2% i highly doubt it. I don't doubt at all that they will lose an election but would not be surprised if they still got 20-30% of votes. 

• Sad 2

Just now, robblok said:

But in the topic of Kratom you were saying breaking the law is breaking the law. Why such a split personality ?

Its a stupid law that they cant protest but its the law. Like you made so clear in that topic that breaking the law no matter what should be punished.

Not that I don't agree with you about the protests but its strange that you have such a dual view on things. On one side you want people to be prosecuted because they broke the law even though its changed now and on the other hand your now condoning protesters breaking the law.

For the record i agree with the protests (not the violence)

No split personality from me I believe you and likeminded folk have stood by and by your support made this happen, many may get a criminal record from this and I reckon they will wear it like a medal

I don't have an issue with people getting a criminal record but the flip flop of it's a crime, no it's not a crime is a symptom of this lot...

• Like 1

later on another 2 police boxes were torched, around the victory monument, where protesters retreated.

But protest officially ended at 17:30. Still many people remained till 9pm.

Protests now look like every 2-3 days. Different groups, also in provinces.

The main purpose is exposure, how inefficient vax program is and how corrupt are officials involved 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Pure science. LOL. When is the last time you have encountered a supporter, who was not in the army or the police? Even the government employees I talk to have admitted this is a failed regime. 

I know lots of people who don't like Prayut and they don't like Thaksin even more. And all of them think there is no point now to have these stupid protests and spread Covid even more.

More protesters with Covid, more police with Covid, more traffic jams, fires, etc. - for what?

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Kudos to the people. This will only continue, until the heinous army relinquishes their power, and follows the will of the people.

That's a very optimistic view of a potential outcome.

I'd suggest it's far more likely a coup will put an end to protests and you can be sure the next PM installed will take whatever steps required to make sure he never looses power.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2