Thailand projects doubling of daily coronavirus infections next month

snoop1130

1 hour ago, smedly said:

yes totally agree - wasn't rying to paint anything rosey as it is far from it, as for tourism GDP it is probaly more like 25% when you count in all the cash business that it generates 

If you look at export figures for Thailand they are down but someone is producing something 

The problem is, how accurate are those export figures? Are they entirely industry generated? If there is any government input, they will figure out a way to lie, deceive, paint a rosy picture, or simply fabricate. There is zero in the way of ethics, morality, or truth in their game. That is true of most governments. Prayuth has re-defined the meaning of insincere and corrupt. 

• Like 1

ask yourself what where they doing in Thailand 100 years ago?  nothing beside growing rice.   what has Thailand ever given the world besides Som Tom and  a certain city on the coast?  and would that even have existed where it not for the U.S. Navy.  so do not expect any logistical miracles in regards to vaccine rollout. they need help, but are to pig headed to ask for it.  loss of face kills

• Like 2

When the infection rates reach a point where the facilities used to isolate all infected patients have exceeded capacity, this is the point of no return. 

This has already happened.  

The attempts at effectively suppressing the virus to manageable levels, whilst we all impatiently wait for our vaccinations is now failing. 

Sending COVID + patients back home to self isolate is obviously not ideal.  And it is clear that this will cause more infections.  But Governments can only do so much.

Even wealthy and efficient countries do not have unlimited resources.  Every country has only a finite capacity. 

It is inevitable that every single one of us will eventually be infected with COVID19. 

The lucky ones will have been vaccinated and have much less severe symptoms.  Data coming in from around the world reveals much less hospitalizations for vaccinated people. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So, is this an admission that the economic shutdown, which is crushing millions of lives, is not working? 

Only Prayuth is to blame for most of this. Not fulfilling his promise to set up the roadblocks, preventing super spreaders from leaving Covid central (Bangkok) and spreading it all over the nation was a mistake of historic proportions, and they knew better. 

Letting his super corrupt border officials continue to work their super lucrative franshices, by letting in infected Burmese is entirely on him. 

And then the massive failure of the vaccination drive. A botched effort, run by men who looks like men, smell like men, but seem to be 13 years old. Starting with Anutin. 

I could go on and on and on. The anger is justified. He has alot of blood on his hands. 

i don't think they knew better.  you are giving them too much credit.  the Thais unlike their cousins to the north do not think in the long term.  they are just plain stubborn and will not listen to what we consider in the West to be reason.  this mindset is manifested and inculcated through out Thai culture.

loss of face kills and life is cheap in these parts.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, anchadian said:

An impossible task and we all know it. 

Where will all the extra med staff come from (we only see an average of 200,000 doses administered on Sat and Sun), and again, are we going to see overcrowding like say at Bang Sue station, a super spreader?

The govt needs to administer 550,00 daily doses from today to year end to achieve their target of 100m doses.

Will never happen.

.and the Chinese stuff has to go to  bin. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

If you look at export figures for Thailand they are down but someone is producing something 

My main businesses are still open and even though we are being hobbled by COVID-19 preventative measures we continue to operate in three provinces.

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The adjusted measures won't work either.

Vaccinate, vaccinate and vaccinate is the only way forward now.

And even then the daily recorded figures will continue to rise.

COVID-19 is here to stay. The daily infection numbers will never be zero again. Even after 70 % of the population has been vaccinated.

The number of deaths is and has always been the only real important figure.

The only way we can get back to some sort of normality is to get as many people immune as possible.

And that's the real challenge  because in Thailand corruption is and has always been the only true winner.

If instead of worrying about the Chinese or a certain family the pm had have been getting good vaccines from the get go most people probably would be vaccinated 

4 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

I don't agree.  The rated efficacy of each vaccine is the % reduction in the rate of infection after the required number of doses.  The vaccine prevents infection by a certain tested percentage AND it prevents serious consequences in those who do get infected.  Also, it is more difficult for Covid to morph into another variant in a person who has been vaccinated than it is in an easy target of one who has not been vaccinated.  If 100% of the population were vaccinated, the theory is Covid will stop morphing and will weaken to become one of the Covid variants similar to the ones that cause the common cold.  Yes we will never be rid of Covid 19 but if we protect the people from serious illness and cause a weakening of the disease..we win.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.53.14 AM.png

That theory works on a optimistic scenario. It's a race between vaccinating at a pace quicker than stronger variants emerging that nullify or reduce the available vaccines' effectiveness to the point that inoculation has to be repeated again with booster shots. Covid is likely to be endemic and we should prepare to live with it. What's infuriating though were certain government's response to the already slow vaccination program and more lives will be lost because of that.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

I don't agree.  The rated efficacy of each vaccine is the % reduction in the rate of infection after the required number of doses.  The vaccine prevents infection by a certain tested percentage AND it prevents serious consequences in those who do get infected.  Also, it is more difficult for Covid to morph into another variant in a person who has been vaccinated than it is in an easy target of one who has not been vaccinated.  If 100% of the population were vaccinated, the theory is Covid will stop morphing and will weaken to become one of the Covid variants similar to the ones that cause the common cold.  Yes we will never be rid of Covid 19 but if we protect the people from serious illness and cause a weakening of the disease..we win.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.53.14 AM.png

Yes this is true , but the point I was making is as long as they keep getting positive tests they will carry on keeping things closed regardless if the person has zero symptoms or not and keep forcing people into quarantine which turns out is a nice little earner for hotels who are void of tourists .

4 hours ago, Ray Zimmerman said:

Get rid of the curfew and stop the lockdown.  Masks, vaccination and social distancing....end of story.  Don't make it worse.  People are stressed out enough.

Do you work for a crematorium or something.... you want to rapidly increase infections!

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

i don't think they knew better.  you are giving them too much credit.  the Thais unlike their cousins to the north do not think in the long term.  they are just plain stubborn and will not listen to what we consider in the West to be reason.  this mindset is manifested and inculcated through out Thai culture.

loss of face kills and life is cheap in these parts.

Hold on a minute. The most popular excuse for the behavior and lack of enforcement of Covid policy here is incompetence, stupidity or how could they know?

At a certain point, those excuses are simply not valid, believable, or reasonable. How on earth could they not know, with the majority of cases happening in Thailand, being in Bangkok, that if you close all construction sites, and most small businesses, the people would not leave to spread out all over the country? How could you not know what? Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears would have known that. Bozo the clown would have known that. So, why did they not take precautions with so many lives? Only one answer comes to mind. And it is definitely not "they did not know Covid would spread".

20 hours ago, DLock said:

How do they define that the lockdown has been "20% effective", when numbers continue to rise?

What does that even mean?

From my work experience a few years ago in Thailand : Thais are obsessed with pseudo-accurate progress tracking. Like every week reporting "progress is 72%" on a given project. This is totally meaningless. These people, even supposedly well educated, have a rather weak and weird grasp of numbers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ronster said:

Well enjoy your lockdown that you will still be doing in 3 years , as this government seems to think they will eradicate covid completely or have you missed the last 4 months of daily nonsense they spouted ?

I fear that the lockdown has absolutely nothing to do with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but it is intended to keep people off the streets and prevent them from demonstrating about the current situation, especially about a nut in charge of vaxccines.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Do you work for a crematorium or something.... you want to rapidly increase infections!

Implying that a COVID infection = a death sentence, is completely low, and disingenuous.

A greater than 99% survival rate statistically... All you are doing is fanning the flames of panic and acting like the sky is falling, with this kind of nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

taking overall cases to 863,189, with 7,126 deaths.

So spproximately a 0.8 percent fatality rate. That is incredibly low considering. Hopefully those numbers will start to improve as they refine treatment protocols. Stay safe. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clarkey611 said:

I fear that the lockdown has absolutely nothing to do with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but it is intended to keep people off the streets and prevent them from demonstrating about the current situation, especially about a nut in charge of vaxccines.

My thoughts exactly and what I told friends the moment they kicked in. Said it was put in place and expanded to stop gatherings or groups and to make movement harder for protesters . But this lot protesting now seem to be up for the challenge from a few clips I seen and are willing to carry on no matter the consequences.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:58 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand could see coronavirus cases double to 45,000 per day by early next month, even with current lockdown

Like I said a couple weeks ago 50 000 a day was my prediction.  ???? I hope to be wrong.